• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

New 308

truog1

Private
Minuteman
Jan 30, 2010
Iraq
I am planning on buying a 700 sps and restocking it in a Mcree chassis. Optics are still in the decison phase but will probably go with a Vortex FFP scope. The sps I belive comes with a 1-12 barrel. Will this twist be a problem with the 175's or should I stick with 168's and 155's. Also planning on sending the rifle to APA to have some work done on it. Nothing major just a new bolt knob and a brake. Am I making the right choice?

Re: New 308

So I should have no problems shooting out to a grand with this gun at all? The reason I am getting this rifle is trigger time before I go all out and get custom gun.

Don't skim on the bedding also. Your SPS twist will be just fine for all those bullets. Now, if I may entertain your thought on a more accurate barrel, since you are going to send it for some custom. You can only get so far with accuracy on the stock Remmy barrel. Just a thought.

Yeah that I know. I want to get a lot of trigger time at the moment. rebarreling will come later. from what I hear and have read about the mc cree stocks I won't have to bed it? Or will I still have to bed it?

I'd go with a Remy 5R. Forget the brake. For glass... a Leupold 4.5-14x50 is fine, but a NF 5.5-22x50 is better. Get a 20 MOA rail and use good rings like Badger or Seekins.

I disagree with not getting a brake. Shooting with something like this tames a 308 down to just about nothing. This allows for more correct shooting as to pull and flinch. This is coming from a guy who is pretty small and something as small as the 308 puts a pretty good hurt on the shoulder. Not a bad deal for the cost. I'd do it.
Chad

If you have any intentions of shooting some F-Class shoots, you cannot use a brake. If you ever want to sell the rifle, a brake is a disadvantage. If the recoil is too much for you, handload some lighter rounds or shoot a gas gun.

The 1 in 12" twist isnt really built for heavier framed projectiles unless you are goin to use at least a 24" barrel. Can you use it? Yes. Will a 155 or 168 work better? Most defenitely. The shorter the barrel the faster the twist should be. On the sps 20" tac the rifle actually would be better served with a 10 twist which would stabilize the heavier grained projectiles. That really is the only complaint I had when buying my SPS tac. I only use the 168amax in mine with excellent results and on occasion a 155gr.

The recoil is not the issue I just plan on putting a can on it. And surefire makes some wicked cans and i jave their brake on my AR's. Great brake

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bdh308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 1 in 12" twist isnt really built for heavier framed projectiles unless you are goin to use at least a 24" barrel. Can you use it? Yes. Will a 155 or 168 work better? Most defenitely. </div></div>

I would tend to disagree with that statement. Seen a few LTRs that would send the 175s with accuracy to spare.

get the break. I do not think it will decrease the value. I have a S.S. 30 cal can. it requires a threaded barrel. so from a buyer's perspective, have a barrel already thread would be an appeal. I know some think there should not be anything on the end of a bolt gun...........it is a ford vs chev thing.