• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New 338 lm loads

Lambored24thid

Private
Minuteman
Jul 8, 2019
Mooresville NC
Good morning everyone. So I been shooting the lm for years love it. But I have always shot the 300 grain bullets. Always been a fan of the h1000 or the imr 7977 think they are the same. Anyways I was at Bass pro couple weeks ago and decided I would try the slightly lighter bullets. I bought the hornaday edl match 285 grain. And some hornaday brass. I know it's not lapua brass. ? But this is just a new deal.
Anyways I'm currently running the 7977 but I'm struggling to find some data on it.
I figure it's probably pretty close to the same charge as the 300 grain. Am I correct to start my loads at like 94-95?? Anyone have any data?

Hornady tenth edition shows IMR 7977 with 285 gr. at 78.4 start charge yields 2,400 fps. and 87.0 maximum charge yields 2,600 fps.

With H1000 it shows 77.2 gr. start charge at 2,400 fps. and 89.6 max at 2,750.

The Hodgdon site doesn't have 285 or 300 grain bullets but the max loads are several grains lower than the Hornady manual across the board for other weights.

I'd be interested in your results, I've got 650+ 285 gr. ELD-M sitting on the shelf. I'm currently running 86.0 gr. H1000 at 2,566 fps.

Well I finally got to load some up and throw some lead. Not really happy with the grouping at all. And not sure what's going on with the spread. I'm curious if the primers could be causing some of this. I used the CCI 250. I know my writing is horrible but here it is.

IMG_20190815_183249065.jpg

I'm using H1000 and my brother is starting with Retumbo. Both of us found the best accuracy at very modest charges. Don't just try the max loads.

I also had velocity ES even wider than yours. I got some expander mandrels in 0.0005" increments and by playing with neck tension found it likes the .3350" interference fit best.

I'm using the Fed 215M but my brother is using 215. I'm not familiar with that CCI primer. Is that designed for magnum cartridges?

Keep trying. The path to enlightenment is a blast.

Shooting 285 grain ELD-Ms with 90.2 grains Retumbo, in Norma brass and 215M primers with a 2.893 CBTO .015 off the lands I found this in a .2 grain ladder test.

285g ELD-M 338LM.jpg

Easy bolt with slightly cratered primers but this rifle makes most primers look cratered. I wasn't shooting groups for the ladder test but hopefully I can load up a batch this weekend and see how they group at 1K yards on Sunday.

Morning guys. Well I loaded up a bunch Friday and went shooting yesterday. I took a drive earlier in the week to Hyatt's gun and picked up a couple pounds of h1000 and finally got me some Federal primers. 215m's YEAHHHHH
Do I used my Hornady brass and eldm bullets the 285. I loaded up 20 with the 7977 in .5 grain increments with the 215m primers. ,,,
And then twenty with the CCI 250 primers and h1000 in .5 grain increments. I used up my CCI primers by doing that. And won't use them again unless I have to.
The primers alone, although did not change the average velosity much (7fps) the ES and SD changed a lot. And seen it on paper as well. When I shot the other twenty I was equally impressed with the results. The h1000 although seemed to push slower. The difference between the 7977 at 85.5 grains an the h1000 was 30 fps not much but with the CCI primers the ES was 24.85 and the SD was 10.53
My best grouping was with the 7977 86.5 grains and the 215m primers about a 3/4 inch hole 100m bipod only. Not that it matters but it was a 5+ mph wind. I must say I really noticed this bipod I'm using has an issue. I was able to see and ever so slightly movement in the wind ( left to right) ? I noticed some springs on the pads. I really want that elite iron. But funding is tight at the moment. Think I'm going to start using bags for these little test. Anyways I'm really excited about the next test. H1000 with the 215m primers. Wish my velosity was much higher. Something to mess with in the coming weeks
Anyone know how sensitive this h1000 is to Temp???

I live i NW AZ and H-1000 seems to be very stable. I use H-1000 in my 300wm will very good accuracy. The coolest temps I shoot in are the low 40's to over 110 and have not hard any issue. I do make sure to get my rounds out of the sun and cool as best i can.
My load from my AXMC is
Brass Lapua
Primer 215M
Powder Retumbo 90.2
Bullet 300 Berger Hybrid
COAL 3.765
AVG FPS 2740
SD 8.1
Have hit targets out to 2616 at the SW ULR Matches with this load.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lambored24thid
Hey y'all. Sorry been a while. This has been the busiest year in racing for a long time., Anyways I had got down to a good load. Think it's a little on the slow side but I'll take it. I ended up a abandoning the hornaday bullets. Just couldn't get the ES and SD low enough?. I ended up a little on the hot side with the Sierra match bullets but still have an easy bolt.
AV 2789
ES 2.57
SD 1.41
Lapua brass
Federal 215m
94.2g of H1000
+ .040 on the oal.
I did back it down to 94g and gonna roll with that. Since I have a bunch of hornaday brass I want to try them out with that load.
So I want to thank everyone for the help. Going to print out my dope cards and wait for a range opening. And stretch her legs ?

Morning guys. Well I loaded up a bunch Friday and went shooting yesterday. I took a drive earlier in the week to Hyatt's gun and picked up a couple pounds of h1000 and finally got me some Federal primers. 215m's YEAHHHHH
Do I used my Hornady brass and eldm bullets the 285. I loaded up 20 with the 7977 in .5 grain increments with the 215m primers. ,,,
And then twenty with the CCI 250 primers and h1000 in .5 grain increments. I used up my CCI primers by doing that. And won't use them again unless I have to.
The primers alone, although did not change the average velosity much (7fps) the ES and SD changed a lot. And seen it on paper as well. When I shot the other twenty I was equally impressed with the results. The h1000 although seemed to push slower. The difference between the 7977 at 85.5 grains an the h1000 was 30 fps not much but with the CCI primers the ES was 24.85 and the SD was 10.53
My best grouping was with the 7977 86.5 grains and the 215m primers about a 3/4 inch hole 100m bipod only. Not that it matters but it was a 5+ mph wind. I must say I really noticed this bipod I'm using has an issue. I was able to see and ever so slightly movement in the wind ( left to right) ? I noticed some springs on the pads. I really want that elite iron. But funding is tight at the moment. Think I'm going to start using bags for these little test. Anyways I'm really excited about the next test. H1000 with the 215m primers. Wish my velosity was much higher. Something to mess with in the coming weeks
Anyone know how sensitive this h1000 is to Temp???
H1000 HAS A TEMP SENSITIVITY OF .46 ACCORDING TO THE 4DOF PROGRAM...H1000 AND RETUMBO ARE PART OF HOGDONS EXTREME LINE OF POWDERS(TEMPERATURE INSENSITIVE)

Hey y'all. Sorry been a while. This has been the busiest year in racing for a long time., Anyways I had got down to a good load. Think it's a little on the slow side but I'll take it. I ended up a abandoning the hornaday bullets. Just couldn't get the ES and SD low enough?. I ended up a little on the hot side with the Sierra match bullets but still have an easy bolt.
AV 2789
ES 2.57
SD 1.41
Lapua brass
Federal 215m
94.2g of H1000
+ .040 on the oal.
I did back it down to 94g and gonna roll with that. Since I have a bunch of hornaday brass I want to try them out with that load.
So I want to thank everyone for the help. Going to print out my dope cards and wait for a range opening. And stretch her legs ?
WHAT GRAIN SIERRA BULLET?