• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors New 45 Grips for my Kimber

ArcticLight

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2003
Silverdale, WA
This came from a piece of firewood that sat in my garage for 6 years.
I finally figured it was dry, Madrona holds a LOT of water.
They say one tree can hold 200 gallons.

Anyway ran it through a table saw to get slices.

I adjusted the contrast on the photo but that's kinda what it will look like when the clear coat is on after the IMMENSE sanding that will be required.

This is one TOUGH wood, harder than Cherry or Maple by far...

MadronaGrips.jpg

Re: New 45 Grips for my Kimber

Awesome! Cant wait to see the final product!

Yes, definitely keep us updated looks like a nice piece of wood. Are you going to checker them yourself or do it at all? Looking forward to see how they turn out!

Immense sanding can be brought down to a reasonable level by block or belt sanding the blanks to shape with 60 grit. Final finish sanding can use 220 grit.

I would advise buying a set of Pachmayer grips with the metal liners, separting the liners off, and bonding them onto the insides of your grips.

A friend of mine had a cartridge burst and cause a catastrophic detonation of another 2 rounds in the magazine. The results included a bulged and locked slide. The gun was totalled. But his hand was relatively unscathed because he always insisted on using Pachmayer grips for his 1911's. He shot 1911's at Perry on USMC, Navy, and Army Reserves teams for a coupla decades up until the 1990's, name of CWO Bill Miller. RIP Gunner.

Those liners may seem like overkill, except for that one little moment when you really need them.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Immense sanding can be brought down to a reasonable level by block or belt sanding the blanks to shape with 60 grit. Final finish sanding can use 220 grit.
</div></div>

Everything I do with wood is by hand....files, rasps, sandpaper.

Good lookin' wood. Please post finished pix.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would advise buying a set of Pachmayer grips with the metal liners, separting the liners off, and bonding them onto the insides of your grips.</div></div>

I still have a set of plates lots of guys used in the early IPSC days. They have an addition plate welded to the inside that fits in the frame cutouts. I witnessed a couple of .38 Super mags driven into the ground.

ditto on the plates. sweet wood I also love hand working the wood. if you don't have one get yourself a pattern makers rasp they remove material quickly and don't leave marks due to the staggered teeth. please post finished photos.

good luck

bshaw

Yo, do you make guitars too? I've seen some awesome pieces of Koa wood that would look sweet on a 1911. My Koa Taylor guitar has some awesome wood on it.

Scott,
Here are a pair that I made up from a chunk of French Walnut. Let me know if you are going to spray these things with some clear, I will send you mine to do at the same time.
John III
370624458.jpg

That walnut is awesome! A few coats of tung oil on it will make them shine like a new dime.

Here are some that I did out of lacewood.

SCAN0139.jpg

SCAN0149-1.jpg

and zebrawood

I still plan to do some bois d'arc too.
~bill

I love seeing all the different kinds of wood. That burl looks very nice dksd.

BBQ Gun hugh Switch, never heard that one. Will be going on a damascus (sp?) slide, series 70 if I ever get it done.
John III

BBQ guns are a highly decorated pistol, usually a .45, but others are found as well. These are embellished with nice grips, some metal work and usually found in a very nice holster. For wear to the BBQ. I hear it started in Texas or Indiana, so maybe someone from there can chime in.