• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

new 50 like to pick a brain or two??

Tunni

Private
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2009
Cheyenne Wy
First BMG for me, I do hand loading, but have nothing for the big one. Advice appreciated, anyone wanting to upgrade equipment I might be able to start with your trade. Please give me your ideas on what to buy, I will not shoot competion, but want the best I can afford as it should be a long range relationship, no pun intended. I joined 50 cal shooters association, not sure that was a good idea, but did it. thanks

Re: new 50 like to pick a brain or two??

Howdy! Joining the FCSA was a great idea, if for no other reason than all the information on the forum. I use the Lee set up as it's what I could afford. It works fine and makes excellent ammo. For plinking get some of the South African 690 grain FMJ bullets from Wideners Reloading. Sort them by weight to 1-2 grains, you will be suprised how accurate they are. Match type bullets check out Lehigh.Check the web store at Barrett.com, they sell their once fired Barrett headstamped ( Israeli)brass cheap. Make sure you get the Barrett headstamped brass. It's very high quality and is very nice. While ordering your bullets get some H50BMG powder and the CCI35 primers. Have fun and PM me if you need help.

I have been loading on a lee 50 bmg press and have no prob. Everything you need comes in the kit to get started for 150.00 or so from midway. You can start there and upgrade to another press later. I load 50 and 338 lapua, and 7mm rem mag, on it. was going to upgrade to the dillion but after two years I see no reason as this press works fine. Just remember to put a little lube inside the case neck. PM me as well if needed.

if you only plinking and loading ball then the lee will work out fine for you
get some imperial sizing wax while your at it
5010 will work fine for the ball bullets
might want to try some barnes solids for a decent plinking round

what rifle are you looking at

FCSA is a bit of an elitist group, but it's a lot friendlier now than it was 10 years ago. I have the RCBS ammomaster press and it has worked well for me. The only thing I don't like about the LEE press is that it uses non standard thread dies, so you are limited to what LEE has to offer. Weidners is a great source for brass and bullets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iamironman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FCSA is a bit of an elitist group, but it's a lot friendlier now than it was 10 years ago. I have the RCBS ammomaster press and it has worked well for me. The only thing I don't like about the LEE press is that it uses non standard thread dies, so you are limited to what LEE has to offer. Weidners is a great source for brass and bullets. </div></div>
Really? I have been there over 10 years and they have always been very helpful.
I would also recommend joining FCSA. They usually have some reloading equipment on the for sale section of the members only forum.

Tunni,
A few questions for you.

What rifle do you have?
Accuracy expectations...Do you have any?
How far will you be shooting?

Get your wallet out this is an expensive ride...Fun as hell though!
smile.gif

Peace

I forgot to add in my original post some info about sub sonic loads. If you really want to have fun load those SA 690s or some 800 grain Spotter tracers over 50-55 grains of Traiboss. No recoil and lots of fun,especially if you have a suppressor.

I would recommend you stay with H50BMG to start off with. I reloaded .50 for awhile. During that time, I came across some Virgin 5010 that was blowing primers out at 215 grains (well below many peoples recommended starting load). I had to back off to 198g to prevent a sticky bolt with 690g FMJ. After some research on the FCSA site (VERY helpful folks), I found others that had had problems with overly hot 5010. Stick with the 50BMG and sleep easy.

Also, do your best to find a FCSA 1000yard match. More fun than should be allowed. I showed up to my first at Quantico without ammo, just to watch. Because I had my gun in the car, another shooter gave me enough ball ammo to shoot the match. Even with ball, 16" five shot groups were to be had. Things only got better with time and practice. Nothing like showing up with a 200 yard zero and hitting paper at 1k on your first shot!

Good luck and enjoy!

Wow great imput, I have been doctoring for the last few days and not paying attention to my post, I bought Kaye's rifle on the site here, Barrett 99, it will be here by Wednesday, I have a lot of stuff that I bought during the rush as mostly investments and one was sitting there brand new, and I had other duplicates, so decided the .50 would be too much fun. We had taken a 50 cal hit in the Spector gunship over Katum years ago and just seems kinda fun to have one of the beasts, the guy shooting that thing though got more back then he sent up!!!! I am serious about accuracy and have ordered the Lee set up to start, I will only get the best components though, thinking Barret, IMI, brass the leigh bullets and I have ordered some Hornady 750s to start. Kaye is sending me some of his brass so will have a start. My kids own and operate Greybull Precision, started John and Scott when they were early teens. Yaa, now I have four of their scopes so going to have them set me up with proper ballastics. Any of you who haven't been to their sight, check out some of the long range shots. I will try the stock trigger, but may want to go to the jewell, I have one on my 264 and love it. Again, I will copy all that has been suggested and will use and try it all. and do really appreciate all the response.

Tunni I joined 50 cal shooters association said:
That was a good Idea and you'll be glad you did it.Anything under 1,000 yds is considered a Fun shoot to us,but I've had fun at every Match I've been too.There are some long range calibers out there that beat the 50bmg in the ballistic dept,but they don't even come close to the availability of projectile types the 50bmg has.Thats what seperates it from every other caliber.It looks like your on your way to getting your barrett set up for some long range shooting,so enjoy the ride.Load some extra ball rounds before you go to the range,because there will always be someone there who'll ask to try it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoots100</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
You going to the PA match in June?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iamironman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoots100</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'll be there.