• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing New 5R bolt out of spec

WileyG

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 24, 2009
Alabama
Back in the fall I bought a new Rem 700 5R in .308. Not getting to shoot much due to working lots of OT. Shot it some a few weeks ago and put her in the safe. Yesterday I decided to give it a good cleaning. Put a small dab(pinhead size)of grease on the leading edges of the rear of the bolt lugs. Inserted the bolt, cycled it and removed it. The grease on the right lug was smeared down to a very fine film as would be expected and normal. The little blob on the left lug was untouched. Probably .050 gap between the lug and the reciever surface that it should engage. How does something lkie this get past QC? She's gonna be going to aDCO for barrel profiling/threading in the spring and I reckon some action truing will be in order as well.

Re: New 5R bolt out of spec

I'm gonna do some load development for a rebarreled Weatherby MK-V this afternoon (300Wby no free bore)only 3 of the 9 lugs are making contact.

this action was "trued" , having the face trued and threads recut after being indicated off the bolt race way and the bolt face was cut true to the bolt OD.

now the all lugs are still not making contact yet the owner believes that the gun will shoot 1/2 moa easly with handloads.

We'll see

As HateCA has said , you woulden't believe the slop that you can have in the action yet the weapon will shoot.

Hall of fame BR shooter and custom rifle builder Don Geraci says , as long as the barrel is good and the chamber it cut right , you can set the thing off with a hammer and it'll shoot

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yea , but how does it shoot?? </div></div>

Yea. Sometimes they shoot well in spite of all the Remington QC problems.
I bought a 5R 300 WM. The bolt had a "hill" on the face. Never shot it because I found something I wanted more.

If it shoots, shoot it until you feel like rebarreling. Then have it trued.
Problem is, its probably the action that is off. I'm assuming that because its not too hard to make a bolt head. I cant imagiin the bolt head being that crooked, so it seems like the receiver lugs are off. If thats the case, removing .050" or so from the receiver might be a big deal. Most of the time when people true 'em up, they remove a few thou, not fifty.

I'd have Remington give me a new one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WileyC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Back in the fall I bought a new Rem 700 5R in .308. Not getting to shoot much due to working lots of OT. Shot it some a few weeks ago and put her in the safe. Yesterday I decided to give it a good cleaning. Put a small dab(pinhead size)of grease on the leading edges of the rear of the bolt lugs. Inserted the bolt, cycled it and removed it. The grease on the right lug was smeared down to a very fine film as would be expected and normal. The little blob on the left lug was untouched. Probably .050 gap between the lug and the reciever surface that it should engage. How does something lkie this get past QC? She's gonna be going to aDCO for barrel profiling/threading in the spring and I reckon some action truing will be in order as well. </div></div>

Was a round in the chamber when you did this test? Was the firing pin assembly out of the bolt when you did this test? Did you remove the ejector before you did this test? If not fix your oversight and do it again.

Chances are the bolt is fine if you truly have a problem it's the action, chamber, or barrel or a combo of all three.

If it shoots to your satisfaction don't waste money fixing something that is just going to get changed in less then a year. Do it when a new barrel is going to be installed. If it shoots like shit then you do what you feel needs to be done.

One other thing if you have 50 thousands difference in lug contact no amount of truing is going to fix that rifle and I would be sending it back to Remington.

.050" is a mile in the terms of building rifles , I saw a SS remington action one that had been bady over pressured many times , guy was running a 280 Rem up past 7 Mag speeds from a 22" barrel !!
anyway , the bottom lug had suffered alot of setback and apparently bent of somthing , he sent it out to be rebarreld as the accuracy went away and the smith informed him that the action was ruined.

I agree , if their truely is that big of a differance then it need to go back to the factory

Thanks for all the input/info. That's what keep me hanging around here. I've run about 35 rounds thru it in 2 short range sessions. 200yd is max at this range. 44gr of Varget under 168 or 175 SMK and 165 Speer PSPBT in new Lapua brass seems to be the best load so far. It'll shoot 1" @ 200yds with that powder load under any of those 3 bullets. So I took it deer hunting in Tn this weekend. Put 2 deer in the freezer with 2 shots.

I'll check the things you guys pointed out but I believe it's gonna be a shooter as is. Thanks again.