• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report New 6.5 creedmoor/ Range report

sjbryan308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2010
Oxford, NC
I recently finished getting my new rifle together:

-GAP barrelled action/ trued 700 action with 24" bartlein 8.5tw
-Manners T4 with mini chassis

Have been shooting the factory Hornady 140AMAX. During sight in the best groups I got were about an inch, however rifle was very consistent on steel out to 600 yards.

Any thoughts, has anyone else had poor results at 100 yds but been very accurate further out.

Re: New 6.5 creedmoor/ Range report

Not really. My 140 AMAX factory lots are very accurate at 100 and stay accurate.

Shoot the rifle some more and see if the groups tighten up at 100.

The base on the scope was installed by GAP and I mounted a 5-20x50 Super Sniper with ARC M10 rings on the rifle. Also I shot some groups with my .308 the same day that were .5 moa.

Before you do anything else......loosen the action screws (Torx30) and then retighten....MAKE SURE TO TIGHTEN THE FRONT SCREW FIRST THEN TIGHTEN THE REAR. Tom's chassis system is spot on dimension wise he just has to try and accomodate all the variations in rem700s AND all the clone 700 actions too. The lateral radius on the reciever tang starts in front of the rear action screw hole and therefore causes the tang to try and sit lower than the rest of the action. Thats why the barreled action tends to raise if you only have the rear action screw in and tighten it.

Please post back if this helps the situation.

Ern

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fng23</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Before you do anything else......loosen the action screws (Torx30) and then retighten....MAKE SURE TO TIGHTEN THE FRONT SCREW FIRST THEN TIGHTEN THE REAR. Tom's chassis system is spot on dimension wise he just has to try and accomodate all the variations in rem700s AND all the clone 700 actions too. The lateral radius on the reciever tang starts in front of the rear action screw hole and therefore causes the tang to try and sit lower than the rest of the action. Thats why the barreled action tends to raise if you only have the rear action screw in and tighten it.

Please post back if this helps the situation.

Ern </div></div>

Good info. Thx for sharing.

I found the 120 amax was better at 200 yds and less. And the 140 amax beyond 200. Now this is the factory loads.

Kevin

I finally was able to shoot my savage with a pre fitted Shilen 26" 6.5 CM this past weekend. Was shooting 1/2" groups at 113 yards with 20+ mph winds with the factory 140 amax. Able to hit 14" steel plate pretty regularly at 850 yards despite the winds. At that range was having a tough time with my 308 and 175 SMKs. Seems like a winner so far.

When I bolted up my barreled action to my mini chassis the action screws especially the rear one was a little difficult to get started. After looking at it I noticed that the tapped holes in my action were sitting slightly forward of the pilot holes in the chassis, also after tightening them up and taking it back apart I could see where the threads on the action screws were slightly digging into the front wall of the action screw pilot holes at the top.

Is this an issue, and possibly contributing to my problems on paper?

Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sjbryan308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I bolted up my barreled action to my mini chassis the action screws especially the rear one was a little difficult to get started. After looking at it I noticed that the tapped holes in my action were sitting slightly forward of the pilot holes in the chassis, also after tightening them up and taking it back apart I could see where the threads on the action screws were slightly digging into the front wall of the action screw pilot holes at the top.

Is this an issue, and possibly contributing to my problems on paper?

Thanks. </div></div>

Yes it is a problem. The screws are acting as secondary recoil lugs and possibly holding the actual recoil lug away from being in full contact. You could drill out the screw holes to the next larger size. When assembling the action to the stock the screws should drop in place and start very easily and have no interference with the stock.

Ok, I opened up the holes in the chassis a bit and now the front screw is 100% free, and the rear one ever so slightly hesitates when tightening up. Hopefully will get out and shoot it by monday.

Let us know how those chassis changes help. 6.5 Creedmoor is an awesome round, and factory loads are really accurate.

Shot a 10 shot group today .8" definitely a significant improvement. The wind was blowing pretty hard but the group had less than .5" of horizontal spread and .8" of vertical spread which confuses me. Much better than before but still not shooting like it should I dont think. Im going to work on the rear action screw hole a little more and retry. What do you guys think?

This was 3 of the first 5 shots out of my 6.5 2 were sighters then I shot this.
3SHOT.jpg