• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New 6mm barrel time. School me.

Southern Custom

Master Engraver
Minuteman
  • Alright, I’m about to hit 1000 rounds on a factory Bergara 6mm Creed premier pro. Which means it’s time to start thinking about a new barrel. I have a fresh Brux waiting in the safe.
    My primary use for the gun is banging plates, punching paper and shooting our friendly 600yd mid range matches at my club.
    Given all that, I’m debating whether to go with 6Creed again or possibly switch to something like 6BR. In Louisiana we don’t shoot much long range though I’d like to do some traveling in 2021 where I might stretch out a bit to a grand. My club is limited to 600.
    I like the thought of extended barrel life with 6BR but of course I’m already well versed in 6Creed having loaded a lot of it with this gun and obviously I wouldn’t need to buy dies etc if I stick with it.
    so my questions are these.
    Is it worth it to switch to BR given the type of shooting I do to take advantage of extended barrel life. I also hear BR is fairly easy to tune.
    Or, would it make more sense to stick with Creedmoor given that I have all the dies and experience with it. (My sons rifle is also 6Creed and he’s only 200 rounds in, so I’ll continue loading for him so that plays into this decision as well)
    Lastly, if I stick with 6Creed, can anyone make a recommendation on reamers. I mostly shoot 108 ELDMs but with lack of availability now I’m working up a new load for Berger 108s. I’ll be turning my action and barrel over to my smith and I don’t have a clue what I should be looking for in reamers. But I figure I’ll be using the Berger 108 BT Targets for the foreseeable future. (While he’s a custom gunmaker of the highest order, I don’t believe he has 6Creed reamers on hand but obviously I’ll check with him. He mostly caters to guys building high end custom hunting rigs)
    It’s been fun learning and making mistakes with the 6Creed but I want to get this next barrel right from the start and not chase my tail given component scarcity right now.

I have a 6X47L and a 6BR, like them both, but the 6BR is a lot more sensitive to wind changes when I get past 800.

If it were me, I would probably go 6GT and have a light load for inside 600 and a standard load for longer ranges.

I really like the 6br. They are very easy to load for. Only consideration going this route is availability of components to reload in our state of affairs.

Reactions: Overclok79
    If your primary shooting is 600 and in, the 6BR rains supreme. I LOVE my 6br, its stupid accurate, super easy to load for and great barrel life.. It also has no issues shooting to 1000. If you arent regularly shooting PRS or 1000+ I dont see any reason why you wouldnt go with 6BR. Buy brass and go from there. Everything Ive stuck in it shoots great.

If you need dies shoot me a PM.

Last edited:
    Reactions: OREGUN and Eric_F
    I guess my question would be, how long did it take you to get to 1K rounds on your barrel? If your just rebarrel you rifle every 3-5 years then I would just stick with the creed and maybe find a slower node and make a light load for your local matches to extend your barrel life. If you are going through a couple thousand competition rounds a year then barrel life becomes more important.

Hard to go wrong with a 6br for 600 yards. I have shoot my 6bra at br speeds and have no trouble going past 800. I’m thinking of just going straight br next barrel.

I guess my question would be, how long did it take you to get to 1K rounds on your barrel? If your just rebarrel you rifle every 3-5 years then I would just stick with the creed and maybe find a slower node and make a light load for your local matches to extend your barrel life. If you are going through a couple thousand competition rounds a year then barrel life becomes more important.
    At the rate I shoot im looking at burning a 6creed at around the 1 year mark. I don’t shoot PRS but I shoot a lot.

The GT is the easy button. Up next probably BR or Dasher.

I'm stuck on the 6mm ARC koolaid. 2770 w/110's with Varget. Over 2900 with ball powder, no BS, book loads in a 28" barrel. A little over 2000 rounds so far and just the faint beginnings of heat checking for ~0.75" of the throat. Guessing it'll go at least 3500-4000 rounds. Takes a bit of work getting the right bolt face, but works well with MDT BR mags. Not for everyone, but a fun and surprisingly capable little cartridge.

In these crazy times I would stick with the 6 creedmoor. 6Creed brass is available in small and large rifle primer which is a plus for availability. Another bullet that is available for whatever reason is the 112 match burner.

Reactions: n2stcks