• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New 6MMBR build just completed!!! Groups pics added

bhoges

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2003
Plainview,NY
Its started as a Remington 700SPS in 243. As far as parts this is what I used.
HS stock from a 700VS
Bartlein barrel 6mm finished to 21.75 Rem Varmint contour
Jewell trigger
Holland Lug
PTG bolt stop
bolt handle and fluting by Campfeld Csutoms
Duracoat and Bulldog stencils
All the machine work as completed at a buddies house. The action was trued, bedded, and the chamber was cut with a PTG .272 6MMBR reamer. I coated the metal with Gunkote. I mixed flat black and titanium for a very dark gray finish. I did the same with the Duracoat. I was low on colors so I mixed greens and tans so I had enough. Next step is getting the follower to feed these short rounds to feed. I cut the follower and installed a block in the 308 box. Once it is complete Ill add photos of it. (500 yard group pics added shot off a bipod and no wind flags)

Last edited:
Congratulations! I'm a HUGE 6br fan. I just rebarrel my single shot and shot a match
this weekend with 47 rounds down the tube. Tied for second.
I'm getting an Eliseo in March I hope Jon Beanland has my action, barrel,
reamer etc. For 600 yards and in it's tough to beat.
I enjoy shooting it more than my 260, or saum.

Very nice looking rifle, did a very good job. Got any loads figured out yet? let us know how it shoots.

My 3 shot group at 200 was 1/4 " at the sight in range before the match
It was a prairie dog match out to 550, so no group sizes. I missed 3 out of
12 at 550, me not the gun.
My drop at 330 is 4.3 moa @2845 fps. The D.A. was 5500 if that helps

Nice!
One of the best rounds ever devised. It is amazing what 32 to 34grains of powder can do.
Have fun that should be a consistent shooter.

Right now I have a Nesika Model J single shot in 6mmbr. Its a tac driver with 70BT/VV133. For this rifle I purchased 105gr bullets but haven't even looked into loads as of yet. I hope to get it out to 600yards on Wednesday. I have a NF base Ill use and Im waiting for the new Razor to come out. Ill be sure to post some pictures of its groups.

BTW, question for you 6BR guys. How does your rifles shoot at lets say out to 300?

The 6BR shoots flatter and further than many other much larger rounds. Obviously it doesn't have the grain and momentum
to take a deer at 1000 yards like some folks dream about but it will take a coyote at those distances if one can actually hit it.
Even in the AR15 platform is a nice (realistic) 1000 yard shooter even for modest manageable length barrels.
Not to win a competition but it potentially could but the fun is in the accuracy and reach with amazing repeatibility.
The 6.5mmBR offspring is also amazing and with the 6BR both surpass any other AR15 proposition for long range.
In a nice bolt action is a super versatile 600 yards competition round and can set scoring records at 1000 yards.
The best bullets are 105gr berger and scenar but I got to enjoy the 105gr amax and hornady hpbt lately that are an awesome value.

If you want to learn more about this is a good website to visit... 6mmBR Cartridge Guide

I have had good luck with the berger 105vlds +.010 into the lands with Varget.
30.2 grains is what I'm running.

Varget is hard to beat but if one cannot find it then R15 might do the trick.
Also CFE is a good powder (at least in the AR15) but not as impervious to weather changes as the extruded powders. There varget is the king.
BTW I am seating at 2.31 COAL for the berger that is about 5 to 10 thousands of the lands. Same for the 6.5BR. They both feed great from
PRI AR15 magazines.
For the remington 700 I also use the same AR15 magazines with a custom bottom metal. I love that compatibility factor.

I'd build a 6BR myself (most of my shooting is inside 650yd) but I'm afraid if I did I'd end up getting rid of my 223AI and 260...

BTW, question for you 6BR guys. How does your rifles shoot at lets say out to 300?

Mine is a 10 twist I had Jon Beanland do this year. Shooting groups at 300 with IMR8208 gets under 3/4" regularly with the best being a little over .400" and the worst a little over .800" using Berger 90BT. Varget is not as good in it and the stay hovering at 1". It's the most accurate gun I've ever owned and the easiest to tune. I'll eventually do an 8 twist for longer distance stuff but I'm planning on using this one for 300 yard comps next year.

To the OP that looks sweet. Hope you get it to feed properly, and more importantly eject properly. I ended up doing single shot in an XLR chassis. I hesitated at first but it's not bad at all and sure is nice not getting that ding on the brass. Keep us posted on how it works out.

Mine is a 10 twist I had Jon Beanland do this year. Shooting groups at 300 with IMR8208 gets under 3/4" regularly with the best being a little over .400" and the worst a little over .800" using Berger 90BT. Varget is not as good in it and the stay hovering at 1". It's the most accurate gun I've ever owned and the easiest to tune. I'll eventually do an 8 twist for longer distance stuff but I'm planning on using this one for 300 yard comps next year.

To the OP that looks sweet. Hope you get it to feed properly, and more importantly eject properly. I ended up doing single shot in an XLR chassis. I hesitated at first but it's not bad at all and sure is nice not getting that ding on the brass. Keep us posted on how it works out.

Both of mine are 8 twist. Seems to like Varget, plus I have a shit load of it.
I always wanted a 6br repeater that's why I'm gunna try the r5 Eliseo
set up tacticool style. I'm hoping it likes Varget too.

Just wondering what this new rifle will be used for primarily? Any 600yd BR Comps, Tac matches? etc etc?

Honestly a little of everything. I have a F Class and Tactical rifle. If it shoots well It would be great for F Class. Its no good for tac matches w/o having DBM. Pretty much had the chance to build it so I jumped on it. Its pretty light so I plan on nailing a few woodchucks this summer too.

Last group I shot, at the 330 yd target, was under .5", not moa, half inch. Ruger #1, Pac-Nor 3groove 8t, w/Kepplinger trigger, using 28.5 Varget 105 Amax

Might be a stupid question.

I'm also thinking of converting a Rem 700 308 to 6Br.

Is there a need to bush the firing pin hole?

I'll be doing a 6Dasher in the following months setup something like yours. I want a GAP in a tactical looking DBM setup. Already talked to George about it, just need to wait a little before getting things lined up. I've read nothing but good things about the 6BR and 6 Dasher rounds. Interested in seeing how yours does :)

Alan

I've got an Eliseo in 6br. Shots lights out wit r15 and varget. 95's and 105 Berger's both did extremely well out to 1020. Although it gives up a little to the faster 6's at that range, I'm still very happy with it. Plus it's a repeater to boot. Win/win.

You guys that can do this work amaze me! Great looking rifle and I'm sure it will be an absolute shooter!

Nice stick- looks like the guy who did the metal work was a stud

I like the bolt stop even though its on the wrong side

edited to add- it appears you forgot to paint the flutes

Last edited:
Nice stick- looks like the guy who did the metal work was a stud

I like the bolt stop even though its on the wrong side

edited to add- it appears you forgot to paint the flutes

Yes, I left the flutes bare metal because they are a nightmare to mask for a two tone finish. I doubt they will rust as long as they are well oiled. My buddy does nice work but he can be a pain in the ass. Can't complain when its free!

Heres the groups I shot. 100 yard groups were .517/.691/.424/.308 pretty much no load development. The single target was shot at 500 yards off a bipod with no wind flags.My guess is this will be a 1/4 moa rifle with ease. Very happy now I just need optics more suited to the rifles use.

Heres the groups I shot. 100 yard groups were .517/.691/.424/.308 pretty much no load development. The single target was shot at 500 yards off a bipod with no wind flags.My guess is this will be a 1/4 moa rifle with ease. Very happy now I just need optics more suited to the rifles use.

looks like a shooter!

I used Varget. I started at 27.0 and ended at 30.0
I think the node is around 28.0-29.0, once I adjust the oal that will help a little more. So far Im just loading magazine length.

Usually, 30 gr of varget with a 105 is the go to recipe for the 6mmBR, looks like you are there.

30.0 opened up a bit so I backed it off. I need to jam the bullets and Ill be good. Im going to take some measurements tonight.

I have had real good luck with H4895 and heavies. 30.5 gr varget, 450cci, and a 105 is supposed to be magic but in my first 2 1-8 twist 6 br's no joy. I found that h4895 got a little more speed and tightened up es# to single digits, and groups got better. My 28" fclass likes 29.0 gr with 108 berger @2875, 1.5-2.5" @ 600 with no vertical at range. My 26" is feeding 100% out of modded AI mags, rifle is a savage wearing a criterion in a 2.0 aics. 29.5 gr with 105 hybrids@2925, aggs .23 with a bunch of .0-.1. Just a week ago I was banging steel at 1330 yds with it, it was still supersonic but my 6.5 creedmoor wasn't, blew my mind. My smith just finished up a tikka with a 26" lv kreiger, tried some n202 that I had but it must be faster burn rate then the charts show. Onset of pressure was quick before I really got any velocity. Switched to h4895 and bingo got good groups and velocity, basically anything between 28.5-29.5 cut groups .222" or smaller(2800-2860fps). Believe I will settle at 29.0 and start playing with OAL, been running a generic .015 jump so far but my experience with 105hybrids and vld generally show that .03-.010 jump is where it's at. Extremely nice rifle OP, good luck with the feeding, my 700 in 6br finally got converted to a singleshot. Tikka and savage have been gtg but they got the advantage of a better modded mag.

I have had good luck with the berger 105vlds +.010 into the lands with Varget.
30.2 grains is what I'm running.

Same load for me as well.

wingzero

Might be a stupid question.

I'm also thinking of converting a Rem 700 308 to 6Br.

Is there a need to bush the firing pin hole?

Yes,,send it to gre-tan they can fix you up.