• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New 700 SPS Tactical twist rate and rifling

dubya3

Private
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2023
Minnesota
I have a new manufacture 700 SPS Tactical 308 with the "RA" prefix and I can't find the twist rate to save my life. It's not on the barrel, factory packaging or Remingtons website.

Also, I noticed while trying to find twist rate that their site says the SPS Tactical has 5R rifling now. I thought that was reserved for the more expensive models? Maybe it's a typo, who knows.

Does anyone know what the twist in these are? I'm hoping it's faster than 1:12 as I have a couple cases of factory 180gr Fusions that probably won't shoot too well

1699200488164.png

Hopefully this fits your need...(multiple sources contain same info, in my quick research).

I have a new manufacture 700 SPS Tactical 308 with the "RA" prefix and I can't find the twist rate to save my life. It's not on the barrel, factory packaging or Remingtons website.

Also, I noticed while trying to find twist rate that their site says the SPS Tactical has 5R rifling now. I thought that was reserved for the more expensive models? Maybe it's a typo, who knows.

Does anyone know what the twist in these are? I'm hoping it's faster than 1:12 as I have a couple cases of factory 180gr Fusions that probably won't shoot too well
When Remington reopened their door under Vista Outdoors ownership, they made some MAJOR updates to every rifle model and cartridge. They updated twist rates to modern twist rates, and they started using 5R rifling on every rifle now.

Thanks for the quick responses fellas. I did email Remington but you guys got back waaaay faster.

I wonder if mine actually has the 5R rifling. Bought new last year and it has the new serial number prefix but you gotta wonder if they used up old stock (barrels) while still using the new prefix

Reactions: USK308
I wonder if mine actually has the 5R rifling.
Well then just look at it?
The muzzle end will let you see the lands, are the squared or angled?
1699209594282.jpeg

If you want to know the twist stick a rod in the barrel with a patch and see how many inches it takes to make a full revolution.

I too purchased the same rifle. It'll do double duty for hunting and range as a sort of Jack of all trades gun. I have yet to shoot it but can already see the forearm of the stock lightly making contact with the barrel. The pillar bedded Hogue over molded stocks are famous for that. Hogue makes a full bed block version of the same stock that fixes that problem. But if I change stocks I might just go with a Bell and Carlson or the like. The KRG Bravo might work well for an all purpose rifle too.

I doubt you'll have problems. My 308 Howa 1500 has a 1:12 barrel and has zero problems stabilizing 178 gr ELD-M and ELD-X bullets past 1000 yards even after cutting it to 17".

A couple days after I made this thread I got a response from Remington customer service and this was their response. For some reason I don't think this is correct 🤔

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231129_081541_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20231129_081541_Gmail.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 150
I note that the Remy info does not state the steel type, and whether the barrel is button rifled or hammer forged. It's like a State secret or something.
From everything I have seen, all the new Rem Arms barrels are cold hammer forged (unless specified) Chrome-Moly steel or 416r stainless, and all have 5R rifling, and updated modern twist rates.

Reactions: fnbrowning
From everything I have seen, all the new Rem Arms barrels are cold hammer forged (unless specified) Chrome-Moly steel or 416r stainless, and all have 5R rifling, and updated modern twist rates.
Correct, from what I've seen anyway. The new ones come with Timney triggers as well. My particular rifle, although having a RAR prefix, I think has NOS parts like the barrel but I can't say for certain.

Correct, from what I've seen anyway. The new ones come with Timney triggers as well. My particular rifle, although having a RAR prefix, I think has NOS parts like the barrel but I can't say for certain.
If it has a modern twist rate and says 5R on it, then it’s a new model. If not, then it was probably a NOS still sitting around in someone’s inventory.

If it has a modern twist rate and says 5R on it, then it’s a new model. If not, then it was probably a NOS still sitting around in someone’s inventory.
It doesn't say twist rate or the type of rifling on it. Came with the X Mark Pro trigger but has a Super 700 now

FuhQ

May I ask what you mean when your refer to a "modern twist rate?" If that's 1:10, I might respectfully point out that rate was available when I got my M-14 rebarreled in the early '90s.

Also while I have your attention, I remember there being a web page where someone quoted the tighter tolerances being held on the new Remys due to better CNC machines. But I've looked at far too many web pages in the last week. . . . lost that link. . have you seen the specs published anywhere?

FuhQ

May I ask what you mean when your refer to a "modern twist rate?" If that's 1:10, I might respectfully point out that rate was available when I got my M-14 rebarreled in the early '90s.

Also while I have your attention, I remember there being a web page where someone quoted the tighter tolerances being held on the new Remys due to better CNC machines. But I've looked at far too many web pages in the last week. . . . lost that link. . have you seen the specs published anywhere?
Yes, most semi-auto battle rifles chambered in .308 Win did come with a 1:10…This is because the original military rifles chambered for 7.62x51 (.308 Win) were built from M1 Garands (.30-06 Sprg.), which were 1:10 twist, and in the late 50’s, they still made M1 Garands chambered for both .30-06 and .308 Win using the same barrel stock (1:10). Eventually leading to the creation of the shorter action M14 rifle in 1957, and they were still prominent on the battle fields throughout the late 60’s and early 70’s. Some elite SF units still use highly modded-up M14’s for special missions.

Most civilian bolt actions have had slow twist rates for decades because heavy-for-caliber bullets weren’t really a thing until the last 10-15 years or so…. For example, while most .30-06 rifles came with a a 1:10, the .308 came in a 1:12… Well, a 10” twist can stabilize much heavier bullets than a 12” twist. And most handloaders started shooting 185-220gr bullets in .308 Win over the last 10-15 years, but they kept making rifles with a 1:12… Now all the .308’s come with a 1:10 or faster to stabilize the heavier bullets without having to remove a brand new barrel and throw it in the scrap pile.

Also, most 7mm’s have traditionally came with a 1:9, 1:9.25, 1:9.5, or 1:10 twist from factory rifles. This will not do a supreme job if handling much heavier than a 168gr bullet. And bullet weights have increased significantly. So they have now started using a more proper 1:8 or 1:8.5 twist to handle the new modern heavier bullets.

I too purchased the same rifle. It'll do double duty for hunting and range as a sort of Jack of all trades gun. I have yet to shoot it but can already see the forearm of the stock lightly making contact with the barrel. The pillar bedded Hogue over molded stocks are famous for that. Hogue makes a full bed block version of the same stock that fixes that problem. But if I change stocks I might just go with a Bell and Carlson or the like. The KRG Bravo might work well for an all purpose rifle too.
Went with the KRG Bravo on this setup, hasn’t disappointed.

Reactions: kmckinnon
Went with the KRG Bravo on this setup, hasn’t disappointed.
I picked up a Magpul Hunter for mine. It's much better than the factory stock but I'll probably end up with a Greyboe down the road, along with some custom work to the bolt handle and M16 extractor. I still haven't even fired it

I picked up a Magpul Hunter for mine. It's much better than the factory stock but I'll probably end up with a Greyboe down the road, along with some custom work to the bolt handle and M16 extractor. I still haven't even fired it
Oh get out to the range brother! I have a 10/22 in a Magpul hunter and it’s a tack driver!