• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New 8lb H1000 has very loose clumps

7magsavage

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2012
Like the title says, I was loading some 7RM today and ran out of powder. Went to my storage area that stays cool and dry with a dehumidifier. Grabbed a brand new 8lb tub and sat it in my garage. It was obviously warmer and more humid since it just sprinkled rain.
As I opened it I noticed it had clumped up. It’s very loosely clumped though, as soon as I touch it it falls apart.
I’m certain that if the jug had enough space in it to shake it it would all bust up easily.
Been loading over ten years and loaded a ton for precision rifle shooting but I’ve never ran across this. Did a quick web search and didn’t find much.
What do you guys think? Ever had this happen?
I honestly see no reason to toss $225 worth of powder but make I’m missing something.

Thanks in advance,
Steve
99CEB74C-1DA6-4449-ABA8-5A725AAE9AE2.jpeg
22E04A7A-E178-4FFD-805B-DB7C11DC571E.jpeg

And a quick shake of the jug taking it off the shelf and pouring doesnt naturally break it up? If it does then maybe my powder sticks and Ive always just jostled it before looking at it.

If not then take a small cup and put some powder in a baking dish or pan and let it dry out in the humidity controlled space and see if it stops clumping. If it does you know the moisture got to it.
If too humid then it’ll burn with less energy, I think @reubenski (think its you?) has a thing for baking powder to control humidity and increase velocity http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2018/03/humidity-and-powder-burn-rates-what-you-need-to-know/

Last edited:
Going to use it and keep those rounds in a separate batch and see how they shoot when I can get back out again. Ill chrono them as well and see if theres a difference.

I have had this with every 8# H1000 I've bought the last 2 years (5 or 6). When I shook it it broke up. It never clumped up again after breaking up the initial clumps.

Maybe you could send a note of inquiry to Hodgon with the question. Maybe it's a result of the manufacturing process and a non issue. As you stated once broken up, it doesn't re - clump, but interesting nonetheless.