• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors New Addition to Collection - L.F.&C. M1917

Parallax

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 2, 2007
Waushara County, Wisconsin
I've been looking for a mint condition original example of this knife for several years for my collection. They were sold by Bannerman as surplus in the 20's for $1.50 each. These knives used to be plentiful but although they are still found ... not in near museum condition like this one, unissued I suspect. Not bad for a combat knife that is 92 years old. This is the nicest original set I've seen outside a museum or fellow colletors stash... even the leather looks like new.

This is a M1917 L.F.&C. made (Landers, Frary & Clark) trench knife and an original issue Jewell made and marked 1918 sheath. These were called "Knuckledusters" by the AEF. Their 9" spike triangular blade was made specifically to stab through the heavy German field coat and gear. It was deadly... later the design evolved into the M1918 Mark1 which was a set of brass cast knuckles and a spear point blade. The feeling was that a soldier had to carry two knives.... one M1917 for trench fighting and a standard blade for more utility. The Mark1 filled both needs.

The later Mark1 was produced in the USA too late to see action in WW1 but issued to Paratroopers and Rangers during WW2.... a few of those even saw service in Vietnam.

LFC1.jpg

LFC2.jpg

Re: New Addition to Collection - L.F.&C. M1917

Thank you for sharing the history and the pics.

Being curious, or just plain nosy, where did you find it?

Re: New Addition to Collection - L.F.&C. M1917

A fellow collector getting on in years dug it out of his safe. He said he bought it 25 years ago... he's downsizing and decided to sell it to me after I related a story of my Great Uncle showing me his when I was a kid. My Great Uncle was a Company runner in Company F, 309th Inf, 78th Division during WW1. He was first generation American, Prussian father and mother who were farmers. Said his fluent German came in "quite handy". After the War he spent some months in the Army of Occupation... visiting relation in Germany.