• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns New addition to my 1911 family..range report

dksd39

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2006
Hollywood, FL/ Kentucky
Thrilled to announce my newest addition to the 1911 family and my new EDC. A Predator Tactical Night Shrike that I have been eyeballing since its arrival at the store. If you have never fondled one and have the opportunity I would recommend you do..they are simply amazing....cost a bundle but IMHO worth every penny.

DSC_2141.jpg

DSC_2142.jpg

and the whole family

DSC_2149.jpg

Re: New addition to my 1911 family

Looks nice.

I never heard of them before, but it sure looks sharp

That's a SHARP looking piece. I hate to ask this I REALLY REALLY do, but you say the model is "night strike" but on the slide it has "night s<span style="font-weight: bold">H</span>rike"

Dare I ask, what is a "<span style="font-style: italic">shrike</span>?"
confused.gif
I'm NOT trying to be a d!@k. Just curious.

I do like those Commander length pistols, and looks like helluva magwell too!

Enjoy the piece!

-G45

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dare I ask, what is a "shrike?"</div></div>

AGM 45, in my world.

From wikipedia:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shrikes are passerine birds of the family Laniidae. The family is composed of thirty-one species in three genera. The family name, and that of the largest genus, Lanius, is derived from the Latin word for "butcher", and some shrikes were also known as "butcher birds" because of their feeding habits.</div></div>

Very nice looking pistol! Looks like a good addition to your stable!

nice collection of cocked and locked 1911's
they are beautifull pieces.

Eddie,

Thanks! Assumption bit me in the arse there!! Now it makes MUCH more sense and very fitting!!
smile.gif

Humbly,

-G45

Great looking gun, nothing like a custom 1911. You'll have to give us a range report.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt. 0811</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great looking gun, nothing like a custom 1911. You'll have to give us a range report. </div></div>

+1 on the range report

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: biggenius29</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks nice.

I never heard of them before, but it sure looks sharp </div></div>

Predator Tactical is championship shooter Matt Burkett's company, or he is heavily involved. He builds custom 1911's and has a few other items too.

ok guys...I was willing to give a "new" 1911 builder a try because I loved the design and feel...wish I could provide a good range report but this will not be favorable to Mr Burkett...

So here goes...took this beautiful handgun to the the range and was 100% disappointed. First off I started with frangible ammo and the gun was incredibly accurate and that is where the positive comments end. Now the first issue arrived when I ran it dry...the slide did not lock back on the empty mag. I then changed mags...5 different mags from 2 different manufactures and none would make it lock open on an empty mag. I then switched to carry ammo and dropped the slide...jam..I try again..jam. Simply put the gun will not feed my Golden Sabre rounds so I switch ammo...twice...all with the same result. Now I am utterly disgusted so back to the gun store where the owner and I proceed to pull out the other Predator guns and much to our surprise the ONLY guns that feed and lock open were the full sized models. It seems the full sized guns use a totally different mag well design and here in appears to be the problem. All the guns like mine seem to have the mag binding and this seems to be causing the problems. I doubt it is the Wilson frame so it must have something to do with parts added by Predator. Sadly that is enough for me to wash my hands of this line and the shop owner is sending them all back for repair...it would seem their quality control is lacking when 4 handguns left the shop having the same issue.
I had very high expectations as most would when spending close to $4k...hope they get their act together and maybe one day they will be a player in the high end 1911 market.

So now I am enjoying a new LWRC AR-15..cant just leave the store without something lol

Get a hold of Matt Cheely and order one of his guns. I think you'll be much happier.

Sorry to hear that, sometimes custom guns are extremely tight when they leave the shop. Could be it just needs some times to break in. My nighthawk is the exception to that but I had a brand new Ed Brown that didn't lock back till about 200 rounds had passed through. I have seen a wilson not lockup all the way till it had 50 rounds run, the guy had to keep wacking the back to force it home after each round and then poof, runs perfect and has ever since. Keep us posted.

Re: New addition to my 1911 family..range report

I like the damascus 1911. Someday I will have to get one.

Re: New addition to my 1911 family..range report

There are too many top notch custom 1911 companies out there ( Nighthawk, Wilson, SA Pro) to buy a gun from guy in his garage. Not that he cant make the best gun in the world. But when I spend north of $2K on a 1911, I want to know 50 years from now, my son can send it in and get taken care of.

And it will most likely perform very well. They can make a lemon too, but much less likely. IMHO, stick with know entities for high dollar 1911's. You can also get MUCH MORE $$$ back if you have to sell them. Honestly, I wouldn't buy that gun for $800.

Sorry to hear it did not work out, just trying to help the next guy.

PB