• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New (again) to reloading

NJRaised

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2021
Port Murray NJ
I used to reload quite a bit. My living situation currently has me a position where I physically do not have the space to set all my gear up like I used.

I’ve been shooting prs using FGGM in 223, and have come to the conclusion that I have to reload (in some capacity) again. Factory ammo is just too slow and inconsistent.

Would there be any benefit in just purchasing virgin starline brass, running a mandrel through it, and loading it up? It would cost me well under a dollar a round, allow me to run the bullets/powder I want, and setup an extremely small footprint in my apartment. I have tumblers, trimmers, etc, but I physically do not have the room to set it up.

What kind of accuracy can I expect running virgin brass and not sizing/fireforming/shoujder bumping. I previously fireformed and shoulder bumped.

I have heard of guys strictly running virgin brass and selling after being fired, and doing pretty well.

You can reload in as little as 12 sqft. I put holes in my coffee table and when I’m done it breaks down and goes back into the storage cabinet. I don’t really leave anything set up for reloading full time. Just wing nuts. Tumbler runs in the bathroom with the door closed for noise mitigation.

Don’t have any first hand experience with star line 223 so I can’t help there but it can’t do any worse than factory ammo once you develop a load with it.

I actually don’t have a dedicated loading area either. I do similar to @spife7980.

It’s not that you can’t do what you are proposing, but the advantages of using brass more than once are pretty substantial. Including brass that fits your chamber, headspace consistency and amortized cost of the brass over multiple reloads.

I bought 1000 Starline .223 cases when I (re)started rifle reloading a few years ago. I'm on my 6th loading of 700 of them; 300 still in factory bag. I have measured a couple dozen of them for actual weight and H2O capacity. They're as consistent as my Alpha and Peterson brass. Will the Starline last as long as the premium brands? I don't know, don't really care. It's doing a fine job.