• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New AI AE MKII

staticTango

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2010
Blacksburg, VA
Well, today I finally got my scope rings and scope for my AI AE MKII. I took it out to the range and began the break in process (i'm doing clean after every shot for first 5 shots, then after every 5 shots for a while after that). I'm using 150 grain sierra ballistic tip bullets. I have a leupold mark 4 6.5-20x 50mm scope. Once at the range I began trying to sight in the scope, which i could never actually get it to be consistant enough to move the groups to the center. At 100 yards it seemed as though the bullets would stick in groups of 2 that would be near hole in hole, but then the next 2 shots would climb up the target still sticking in groups of 2. Over all I had a couple (very few) 3 shot groups that were under 1 inch. It seemed every group i would shot would be in different places(even though i had the same cheek weld and everything was torqued correctly). I'm getting very frustrated that I've spent around $4500 for a rifle that can not even shoot continuoulsy under 1 MOA and near bulls eye. I did have a couple of 3 shot groups that were under .5 MOA, but the majority were randomly over the target and over 1 MOA. Is this just because i'm breaking it in and it's new, or is this as good as it's gonna do. I had my savage 10fp and it was averaging better groups and closer to the center of the target, so I don't think it's operator error. I just don't know what to do. Does anyone have advice or have had this problem before? I'm just at a complete loss. Stacey, if you're out there i would love if you could advise me
smile.gif

Re: New AI AE MKII

Static,
I would say start with the simple stuff first. I would try different ammo, you may want to give some 168gr or 175gr Federal Gold Medal or Corbon Performance match a try. If that doesn't work for you I would then try a different optic, I have seem more that one gun not shoot right out of the box (custom sticks included) and the owner get very frustrated with the rifle only to find out the scope was actually the problem (this applies to brand new optics as well)

I think you will get it worked out pretty easy once you try a few other things. If not I am sure that Stacey will make sure that your rifle is squared away and back to you ASAP, he is a great guy.

Good luck,
Mike

What Mike said.

No factory rifle should be judged for accuracy without at least trying Federal Match ammo and Hornady TAP amax, both those are available in 2 different bullet weights I believe, that's 4 boxes of ammo you need to buy.

try some fed match 168 or 175gr match ammo or similar Black Hills or even Win or rem 168gr match i think you will have fixed that problem that is what the rifle should be shooting it is made for match ammo.

And not to play BOLTRIPPER, but fill out your profile. If you're local to me then I can help you get something resolved.

Check the obvious, scope mounting and different magnification settings. As mentioned by Mike, try different ammo. I have had crazy fliers with different ammo in different guns. Be patient, it will come togather.

pull the ballistic tips off and then file an "x" on the end of each bullet. .25 MOA guaranteed and it will penetrate tank armor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">pull the ballistic tips off and then file an "x" on the end of each bullet. .25 MOA guaranteed and it will penetrate tank armor. </div></div>

It's true.

-X

ok guys, thanks. I'm going back to the range this weekend and I'm gonna pick up some Federal Match 168, i've checked that the scope is tight and secured. Does pulling the tip off actually help? I'm afraid it would like f my barrel up or something.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: staticTango</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does pulling the tip off actually help? I'm afraid it would like f my barrel up or something. </div></div>

No, I would suggest you don't do that. Only CKA can pull that off.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Run 4 boxes of the mentioned ammo and forget that clean and shoot and clean and shoot nonsense and find out what happens.

Its clean enough-really.

I didn't read how many total rounds you've fired in your new AI. I bought a new AI AW a few months ago, it's chambered in 243Win. I shoot handloads using moly-coated 115DTAC bullets. During the break-in, I really wondered about its accuracy, it was shooting a few MOA at 100 yards! After about 10-15 rounds, wham! it grouped very nicely and is now a real nail driver.

If you've shot at least 50 rounds with your new AI, I would say it's broken in by now and you need to look elsewhere for a solution. If it has a chrome-moly barrel, you might have to go to 100 rounds to assure it's broken in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">pull the ballistic tips off and then file an "x" on the end of each bullet. .25 MOA guaranteed and it will penetrate tank armor. </div></div>
But where does the depleted uranium go?

175 FGMM or 118LR

when you say tighten I assume to the specifed torques?

Quit cleaning the barrel...Seriously......

And dont take this wrong....are you a sub MOA driver?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: One-Eyed Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

We don't discuss such things in the open forum. It is almost as Top Secret as the loophole. Whatever you do, don't drill a hole in a piece of plywood and figure out that shot yourself. Black helicopters will descend upon you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: One-Eyed Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

We don't discuss such things in the open forum. It is almost as Top Secret as the loophole. Whatever you do, don't drill a hole in a piece of plywood and figure out that shot yourself. Black helicopters will descend upon you. </div></div>

Jason....where are you when we need you....

I believe you can see many inputs from members which are very knowledgeable and explain the simple things first.
1. Try a known good and accurate ammo, such as Federal GM 308 168 or 175gr, I what I would recommend, I use it for all my proof accuracy testing.
2. Barrel break in, this is a true personal desire and wish, nothing wrong with it, and not a required as per the manufacture.
3. Make sure you check all your mounting screws, optics solutions and optics are properly torqued and secure.

The rifle should perform and I am sure it will. If you have any further issues, questions or need some reassurance, I am here to help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">175 FGMM or 118LR

when you say tighten I assume to the specifed torques?

Quit cleaning the barrel...Seriously......

And dont take this wrong....are you a sub MOA driver? </div></div>

+1, Chiller covered all I was gonna say, good thing I read the whole thread before reply.

I can shoot sub-moa with my savage using the same ammo i said i used with this one. Yea, i meant to the specified torques when i said tightened, and I've shot 48 rounds so far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: staticTango</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can shoot sub-moa with my savage using the same ammo i said i used with this one. Yea, i meant to the specified torques when i said tightened, and I've shot 48 rounds so far. </div></div>

When all else fails go back to the fundamentals;
Position behind the rifle?
NPOA?
Dry Fire?
Flinch?
Trigger Control?
Have you considered the Online Training?
A couple of the MODs have also asked you to fill out your profile. With the number of people here on The Hide I suspect there is somebody you can catch up with who can work with you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: staticTango</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can shoot sub-moa with my savage using the same ammo i said i used with this one. Yea, i meant to the specified torques when i said tightened, and I've shot 48 rounds so far.</div></div>

Not every rifle likes the same loading, however.

My bet is that when you run some Federal Gold Medal Match through it this weekend, it'll be fine.

Keep us updated!

stop cleaning it...seriously. a clean barrel and a fouled one will shoot differently. take it out and run 20 rounds through it, then zero and group it. you will be happy.

One more question. Does walmart or any other generic stores sell fed gold match, or will I have to go online?

The Hide must be maturing, I didnt read one post offering $1000 to buy the rifle!

ST, keep an eye out in teh for sale section for ammo every now and then. Otherwise Wally world doesnt sell FGMM, you'll have to go to a retail store or on line.

Don't buy more than one box of each for now till you find the winning combo. 20 rounds of 3 diffrent types will give yo a good base line and get you past the "break in" process.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ROLEXrifleman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Hide must be maturing, I didnt read one post offering $1000 to buy the rifle!

</div></div>

If given a reasonable question and not alot of attitude The Hide has always seemed to help.

+100 on the FGGM 168SMK and 175SMK.

I've only fed my AW on 168SMK since I got it 5 years ago.

It is a sub 1/2 MOA rifle if I do my bit (and with a better shooter it is probably capable of better than that).

I'd say you should be able to easily get sub-MOA performace without real effort if everything is torqued correctly and the scope is functioning correctly and you're doing your bit.

Local shops would be a good start, if you have a Cabellas, Gander Dicks, or other they would have them as well.

Honestly, you may just want to jump on the grenade and go Midway online and not burn gas driving around town. This way you WILL have what you need and get it straight to your door.

And from a personal standpoint I have never shot anything less than 168gr through any one of my AI's

After you try the match ammo and stop cleaning, if the problem persists, try another scope. Kinda wierd that you cannot center up the group, even if the group is large.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">stop cleaning it...seriously. a clean barrel and a fouled one will shoot differently. take it out and run 20 rounds through it, then zero and group it. you will be happy.</div></div>

I'm surprised I didn't catch that immediately (duh).

That might have been the entire problem right there, if it's being cleaned out thoroughly every 5th round.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: staticTango</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So being too clean is actually a bad thing?</div></div>

Absolutely. I clean a rifle and don't even bother looking at groups until after 20 rounds.

Yes. AIs are "broken in" at the factory. There's no need to season your barrel any further.

FWIW, I just got a new AI AW, put 70 rounds through it last weekend, and have no plans to clean it anytime soon.

So, go shoot and enjoy yourself. Save the cleaning for the 400~750 round mark (when your rifle tells you it's time to clean).
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: staticTango</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can shoot sub-moa with my savage using the same ammo i said i used with this one. Yea, i meant to the specified torques when i said tightened, and I've shot 48 rounds so far. </div></div>

Savage barrels are 1/10 twist, the AE has a 1/12 twist.
Its unlikely to find a load that would shoot extremely well in both guns.

Yeap, I can chime in again with some help, send it to me, I will personally take good care of it, let it visit with some others, make it smile, clean it, feed it good ammo and clean it, special time on the range, you know only the best for our customers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: staticTango</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how often should i clean it then? every 20-30 rounds?</div></div>

No way....like 200-300 rounds, if that often.

Is it just because of the specific type of barrel that the ai's have, or do you do that for all your rifles?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All of 'em.

There is a lot of discussion on here on the topic. Do a search of "barrel break in" and "cleaning"</div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: staticTango</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it just because of the specific type of barrel that the ai's have, or do you do that for all your rifles? </div></div>

Just in general-- quality barrels should not require cleaning often. I've streched my .308 AE mkI out to 1100 rounds before I felt I had lost any accuracy (unexplained fliers). Cleaned and fouled with another 10-15 rounds and it was back to 1/3moa. Alot of folks do not clean until they feel accuracy has fallen off or the bore gets wet. I didn't start in that camp but I'm in there now.