• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

new aiae owner, dumb question.

slate84

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2010
Brookings SD
So I got my aiae mkiii .308 24" sent to me from diane over at mile high (as you all know awesome to deal with) but had a couple quick questions.

1st, what the heck is that thermometer shaped cut out hole just behind the swivels on the bottom?

2nd, I put two boxes of 168 amax tap match through it and on a 10 round string I had a SD of 57 and an ES of 187 with an Av of 2616. Now with that I was shooting 5rd groups around 1.5" @ 175m (far as my range) and I feel like I was definitely the limiting factor as my groups kept getting better the more rounds I put down range kind of getting use to actually shooting a nice rifle.Temp did start dropping from around 40 to about 34 but most of the latter rounds didnt pick up due to the sun going down. Main question, was the ammo just all over the place or is the barrel going to start having less variation as I add to the 40 rd count? Id just like to get an accurate dope card set up.

3rd, ive had a local guy thread my last two rifles but am kinda nervous handing my new child over to him. Hes a retired 37yr production line machinist who opened up a small shop to keep him busy. His past work looked good but is there anything that I really need to make sure he does correctly threading an AI?

4th, I got 200rds of that 168gr tap to do shakedown with (and actually shows it stays supersonic past 950m) and planned on handloading the Hornady match brass. I know for 1k shooting smk 175s are kinda the go to but I was really considering 178 bthp horady w/varget. Thoughts?

I'm not an AI owner but I would not take it to a local smith. The barrel needs to be removed and replaced to be threaded not a local smith job unless your in NKC.
Just my opinion

Dave Tooley, a member here, can send a barrel straight to you. He does all of AINA's barrels.

The thermometer shaped cut out is a mounting point and for the life of me, I can't recall it's name.

I've never shot TAP ammo in my AW, but I've had excellent luck with FGMM 175 and SW Ammo's 175 SMK.

Your AI will only shoot better as you put more rounds through it and get the feel for it. Congrats on your new purchase.

Dave Tooley, a member here, can send a barrel straight to you. He does all of AINA's barrels.

The thermometer shaped cut out is a mounting point and for the life of me, I can't recall it's name.

I've never shot TAP ammo in my AW, but I've had excellent luck with FGMM 175 and SW Ammo's 175 SMK.

Your AI will only shoot better as you put more rounds through it and get the feel for it. Congrats on your new purchase.

+ 1 on all of that, although I have a AW-- can't imagine it's any different.
By the vy, all I shoot through my AI's is FGMM...
Always had exceptional luck making quarter sized groups at 200 meters.

I was going to get 175 fgmm but on the sgammo.com they said the primers were crimped and it scared me away.

You can very easily remove the crimp with a 20 dollar reamer from hornady or another maker. I use the dillon but easy with the others also.
Also, there are to many elite level gunsmiths around that are not expensive to let someone you are not sure of cut on your barrel. If it was one of my non custom guns, I would say go for it but for something like what you have, let adco or gap, beanland or someone else of there ilk do it.

Last edited:
the thermo shaped cutout is an anschutz style accessory rail , it is used for handstops (Avail from AI)and you can get picatinny rails (available for B&T)that will attach there.

Being in SD, why not get Chad at Long Rifles to thread it? He is good to go and normally fast on turnaround.

So I got my aiae mkiii .308 24" sent to me from diane over at mile high (as you all know awesome to deal with) but had a couple quick questions.

1st, what the heck is that thermometer shaped cut out hole just behind the swivels on the bottom?

2nd, I put two boxes of 168 amax tap match through it and on a 10 round string I had a SD of 57 and an ES of 187 with an Av of 2616. Now with that I was shooting 5rd groups around 1.5" @ 175m (far as my range) and I feel like I was definitely the limiting factor as my groups kept getting better the more rounds I put down range kind of getting use to actually shooting a nice rifle.Temp did start dropping from around 40 to about 34 but most of the latter rounds didnt pick up due to the sun going down. Main question, was the ammo just all over the place or is the barrel going to start having less variation as I add to the 40 rd count? Id just like to get an accurate dope card set up.

3rd, ive had a local guy thread my last two rifles but am kinda nervous handing my new child over to him. Hes a retired 37yr production line machinist who opened up a small shop to keep him busy. His past work looked good but is there anything that I really need to make sure he does correctly threading an AI?

4th, I got 200rds of that 168gr tap to do shakedown with (and actually shows it stays supersonic past 950m) and planned on handloading the Hornady match brass. I know for 1k shooting smk 175s are kinda the go to but I was really considering 178 bthp horady w/varget. Thoughts?

1. As other have said, the cut out is for mounting a competition style handstop.
2. Don't look at chronograph results until after firing 100 rounds through the barrel. The barrel is still settling in, so it is too soon to get reliable chronograph data before then.
3. Be very careful who you send your rifle to. Longrifles Inc. is near you and can do an excellent job. Aside from them, get a recommendation for a top gunsmith on the forum here.
4. Either load should work fine, but this is more of a handloading/exterior ballistics question, so check out those sections of the Hide forum.

Unfortunately hes 6 1/2 hours away on the other side of the state. Im thinking ill just have to mail the barreled action off to gap.