• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New APA 308 Win Build

BullzeyeNJ

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Mar 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I just got this rifle yesterday from APA. Fit and finish are done extremely well. Very impressed to say the least. Jered built this rifle and was a pleasure to do business with. The guy called me while he was on vacation to discuss what I wanted done with the rifle. Thats going above and beyond with customer service in my book. I cant wait to take her out and see what she can do at the range. Maybe this weekend.

Build:

Obermeyer 5R 11.25 twist barrel cut to 22" in 308 Win

Surgeon RSR action w/ APA bolt knob and Surgeon rail

Mcmillan Baker special stock w/ Mcswirley pattern and pic rail on bottom for Atlas

Jewel Trigger

Seekins DBM

Barrel threaded for APA Little Bastard Brake

Coated in Sage green except for bolt body

PSov_01Large.jpg

PSov_02Large.jpg

PSov_06Large.jpg

PSov_05Large.jpg

PSov_04Large.jpg

Re: New APA 308 Win Build

F'N SWEET! That is really nice. Been thinking of doing the same color combo on my upcoming OBY build.

Please post a range report. How do you like the RSR? Is it as smooth as 591? That is what I'm debating right now, is which of the two to go with?

Also, I have seen other builds from APA. Can they not coat the actual bolt as well?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D Ice 308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice rifle Paul! Congratulations!</div></div>

D Ice what colour is your rifle ?

Cheers pc3

P.S Op's rifle looks great !!

PC3 stock and barreled action finished in OD Green...there is a link to my rifle in my signature...

Nice Stick! looks like a shooter.. Where do you shoot Cherry Ridge? Im right in Parsippany area

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D Ice 308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> PC3 stock and barreled action finished in OD Green...there is a link to my rifle in my signature... </div></div>

Lol I am colour blind that pic actually looks to my eye to be some kind of grey/titanium colour !

The Baker is a awesome setup. My 7mm looks just like this. I beleive Jered first did a rifle like this in .22-243AI called the grasshopper. He then did a rifle in .338 Laupa. This stock, camo and color is still (i think) the best looking rig out there. I beleive i saw this gun on Jered's facebook last week.

Yes. I shoot up at Cherry Ridge. Are you a member there too?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Send__IT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice Stick! looks like a shooter.. Where do you shoot Cherry Ridge? Im right in Parsippany area </div></div>

Thanks. Its my first RSR action so no experience yet. Its buttery smooth dry firing it. Smoother then my 591 actions. From what I gather, you cant go wrong with any Surgeon action. I paid $900 shipped for this RSR action w/ rail from a Hide member. A new 591 would cost me about $1300. I could not justify the the extra $400 basically for an integrated rail.

APA can coat the bolt anyway you want. I prefer the contrast look of the black on the green. Others might not.

Range report will be coming soon. Hopefully this weekend.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: k9222</div><div class="ubbcode-body">F'N SWEET! That is really nice. Been thinking of doing the same color combo on my upcoming OBY build.

Please post a range report. How do you like the RSR? Is it as smooth as 591? That is what I'm debating right now, is which of the two to go with?

Also, I have seen other builds from APA. Can they not coat the actual bolt as well? </div></div>

Yep i actually have to renew my membership this Sunday.

I am always so impressed by how seamless these high-end builders can transition the thread cap to the barrel. Beautiful build.

Thats one nice rifle.The Baker stock is underrated and your rifle is proof.Love the stick,Goodshootin'

~Reagan

So I took the APA out to the range for the first time this past Saturday. I went to the 100 yard range but b/c of all the snow we have had, it was not possible to shoot at 100 yards. I had to settle for 50 yards but I still got to see how the rifle handled.

This is my first bolt gun with a muzzle brake installed. I know that the 308 really doesnt kick that bad and I am not recoil sensitive but I figured it would keep the rifle moving on me when shooting. Wow, the little bastard muzzle brake does an outstanding job of reducing movement and reduces felt recoil alot. I am really happy that I had one installed, now I will probably get one for other rifles.

The rifle itself shoots very, very nice. The Baker special stock fits me very well and the Jewell trigger breaks like glass. This 308 feels really solid when you are behind it. Not to sound cliche but it does feel like its an extension of the shooters body. I dont know what APA does differently then the other guys but they did it extremely well for this rifle. I shot about 70 rounds of 168g FGMM and really didnt want to stop! I was having alot of fun shooting it and if I had more ammo I would have shot some more. Each round felt better then the previous and at no time did the rifle stop impressing me. I was shooting 1/4" groups at 50 yards without much effort. Yes, I know it was 50 yards but I doubt it will disappoint at longer distances.

Looks like we have another "Baker" convert!....a great design IMO.

Get some more of us together and we could have a "Baker's Dozen"
    he-he

Nice looking stick.

Thanks Was. It is a great stock design. Like it already and I am not even used to it yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: was21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like we have another "Baker" convert!....a great design IMO.

Get some more of us together and we could have a "Baker's Dozen"
    he-he

Nice looking stick. </div></div>

Any new updates on this Bullzeye? I'm curious to hear how its doing, and your thoughts on the stock! Welcome to the APA club!