• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New AR-15 Build- Barrel suggestions

lhovden

Private
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2011
Not sure if this thread is in the correct category, so correct me if I'm wrong. I'm starting a new AR-15 build and I wanted a few suggestions on a barrel. I currently have a 16" AR but now I'm looking for more of a long range rifle for hunting and the range. I'm thinking a 20" 1-8 or 1-9 twist barrel, and I would also like to try to cap it at $300. I was looking for some manufactures that would fit the bill and be a well made and accurate barrel. I've seen a lot of positive reviews on WOA, but I really don't want to wait 6-10 months to get a barrel. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Brownell's has WOA barrels in stock. 16" MLGS and 18" SPR, both with 1/7" twist.

$269.99

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-12-24 at 7.52.25 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-12-24 at 7.52.25 PM.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 28
Compass Lake Engineering with the CLE chamber for what you are wanting(20" match AR barrel) but you are looking at $400 or so for a Douglas and closer to $550 for a Krieger. Wait is about 4 weeks on Kriegers right now judging from an order I just placed.

L

Last edited:
Sionics weapon systems. I run a 16" 1/8 chrome lined from them. Low pro gas block, barrel and gas tube shipped was like $240.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies everyone. I decided to increase my budget and lead time and went with the WOA 20" SDM 1-8" barrel. Estimated lead time 8-12 weeks. Figured that wasn't too long.

Definitely a good choice, I just installed one of WOA's 16" barrels on my brothers ar. I don't know how it shoots yet since it doesn't have a very good optic on it, he's bad about getting guns but no optics lol. I guess he hasn't figured out that the gun doesn't do much good when it doesn't have any sights on it.

Ar15Performance dot com highly accurate barrel products - ESP. if you ever get interested in 6.8 technology.

He's got some nice barrels to offer plus look at his Super Bolt approach to durability.

Take a look at criterion, I have their 18" hybrid contour barrel in 1:8 twist and I shoot pennies at 100yds.

AR-15

They are for sale on brownells, they also have HBAR/hybrid contours for 16-20" barrels all in a 1:8 twist (except the 16", that's a 1:7). They're all between $250-260, so inside your price range. AR15/M16 CRITERION BARRELS | Brownells

Midway, Cheaper than dirt, Brownells, Surplus ammo... Google is your friend.

Shaw makes a good barrel in 1x8, but there's nothing wrong with 1x7 or 1x9.

223 can be finicky depending on luck of the draw, if you get one that doesn't work for what you need, just get another and sell the first with 1) a round count and 2) what kinds of loads the barrel likes. If you give that kind of info you wont have a problem selling it on sites like AR15.com.