• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New ar 15 shooting the heavies?

uncledog57

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 19, 2011
Morro Bay, Ca
Come Monday my buddy and I are going to out together the parts I have been ordering around town. I have a Yankee Hill 20" 1/7 barrel in 223. Loading the heavies 90-80gr bullets what kind of precision and distance can I look to? I roll my own but I need a starting place? Any suggestions?

Re: New ar 15 shooting the heavies?

<span style="color: #3333FF">This book is the best publication I've seen, and I've been looking at gun books for 35 years, on the AR15 and loading ammo for it. Enjoy your rifle. This information is indispensable. </span>

THE COMPETITIVE AR-15 BUILDER'S GUIDE - Brownells
www.brownells.com/..../THE-COMPETITIVE-AR-15-BUILDER-S-...Glen D. Zediker. 272 pages, 8½" x 11", spiral bound. Over 750 photographs and illustrations. This comprehensive, “must have” guide covers in detail ...
Amazon.com: The Competitive AR15; The Mouse That Roared ...
www.amazon.com/Competitive-AR15-Mouse-That.../0962692565The Competitive AR15 is a complete and detailed study of our newest precision rifle sensation: the super accurate AR15. This rifle has taken the world of NRA ...
The Competitive AR-15: The Ultimate Technical Manual Book by Glen
www.midwayusa.com/.../the-competitive-ar-15-the-ultimate-technical...Nov 9, 2008 – The Competitive AR15: the ultimate technical guide takes an indepth look at every system component and rifle configuration in a total of 30 ...

Just a question. Why build an AR to shoot 80/90gr bullets? You'll have to single load them anyways, so you just end up with an awkward single shot rifle.

Casy: The links provided didn't work? I did use the titles of the book and went to the domain for each. I'm cautious about buying cause more then half the reviews said info was out dated and poorly done?

Temp, I did not build the Ar to push the heavies. My plan is to shoot lighter pills ie 70gr? It was mostly a question as to what could I except doing so? Would I get more distance? fight wind? Are any of them more accurate then anther? Just stuff I have been wondering?

They are not necessarily more accurate but they will fight the wind better at the cost of having to single load them. How far are you planning on shooting? What are you planning on shooting.? 75 or 77 gr will get you to 600+/- and fit in the mag.

kvwpwr, I will be shooting paper 100-300 then steel out to 700 at the range I belong to. Loading the 70's sound like what I'm looking for? Do you have a pet load? Something to start with?

Casy. Thank you very much!! I am going to look up the book latter today when I get off work. I appreciate it!

Graham, thank you so much that is just what I was looking for!!
Been reading you post for about a year now? I usually get a lot from them.

Out to 300? I've had good results from using 52gr SMKs with ball powder. It's quick to load on a progressive press.

A pretty standard load for a 77gr SMK is 24gr of Reloader 15 or Varget with a Remington Benchrest primer in Lake City brass. You should still work up to this to confirm that it is safe in your rifle.

I've never messed with the really heavy bullets much in an AR. If I'm going to have to single load, a bolt gun is just a lot easier.

I've never heard of anybody ever using 90s in a 1:7. I'm not sure if it's a throat length issue as well or that for that weight and above they go with 1:6.5. 80s normally are single fed, 75/77s loaded to mag length. Check the reloading forum here as well. Sierra manual has service rifle loads for the AR also.

Yeah thanks guys!! I asked cause I really just did not know? The whole AR15 is new to me? There was a bill in Calif. that would mean we would have lost them. I figured I better get while the getting was good! It since has fallen out of committee. California is doing it's best to get rid of black rifles!

I run the Berger 70gr VLDs at mag length over VV N540. My rifle likes a charge weight between 25.0 and 25.4. I looked through several load manuals and got conflicting data for max charge, but I can tell you that 25.4 grs of N540 is pretty hot so if you decide to use this combo please work up slowly.

You need a chamber cut for the 80gr and above pills.

If you didn't pay for it, you didn't get it.

AMG04 I was looking at the Berger 70gr VLD's? I am going to give them a try. From What I have gathered that should be where I want to be? Thanks

DavidAr10 No I know I didn't pay for it. I don't really see myself really needing the 80gr pills? I have other sticks to play with. Lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uncledog57</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AMG04 I was looking at the Berger 70gr VLD's? I am going to give them a try. From What I have gathered that should be where I want to be? Thanks

DavidAr10 No I know I didn't pay for it. I don't really see myself really needing the 80gr pills? I have other sticks to play with. Lol
</div></div>

Roger That. But, to quote you:

"Loading the heavies 90-80gr bullets what kind of precision and distance can I look to? I roll my own but I need a starting place? Any suggestions?"

80grs takes you into the Tom Cruise zone without the proper chamber.

Best to you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DavidAR10</div><div class="ubbcode-body">80grs takes you into the Tom Cruise zone without the proper chamber.</div></div>I was going to leave it alone, but now you've said it twice.

What chamber(s) do you claim are necessary for safety with an 80gr bullet?

75gr Amax's 600 yrds A2 iron sight Compass Lake/Frank White service rifle. Yes with the lowly Imr4895 powder... That's the accuracy u can expect
IMAG0899.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DavidAR10</div><div class="ubbcode-body">80grs takes you into the Tom Cruise zone without the proper chamber.</div></div>I was going to leave it alone, but now you've said it twice.

What chamber(s) do you claim are necessary for safety with an 80gr bullet? </div></div>

Hi guy, throat length becomes a factor. In ARs, it becomes a brutal factor earlier than bolt guns. 80gr plus need more room to jump.

Best to you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Loading the heavies 90-80gr bullets what kind of precision and distance can I look to?</div></div>

In High Power Service Rifle this weight bullet is used with good results at 600 & 1000 yards.

When I got my White Oak, John recommended 24.0 to 24.4 grns of R-15, it works quite well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why build an AR to shoot 80/90gr bullets? You'll have to single load them anyways, so you just end up with an awkward single shot rifle.</div></div>

In high power you single load at long range anyway, single loading is no disavantage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've never heard of anybody ever using 90s in a 1:7</div></div>

Its more common then you think. Take in some service rifle matches, you'll see a lot of 1:7s shooting 90 Bergers.

Personally I haven't used them in a match but I've played with them in my 1:7 Mann device. They work quite well, I'll use them in my next HP match.