• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report New AR build (1st range report).

OverWatch

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2009
USA
Quick run down of the build (pictures to follow). This was its first trip to the range.

Upper: Surplus Ammo, flat top
Lower: S&W MP-15
Barrel: YHM 14.5 w/fix H2
BCG: Surplus Ammo
Trigger: Rock River NM 2-satge
Olympic Arms carbine quad rail
Optic: EOTEC 512
Stock: CTR (FDE)
Grip: MIAD (FDE)
Front sight: YHM flip-up gas block
Rear sight: GG&G flip-up
Magazines: 30 round PMAGS

Range report: flawless for a 50rnd box of Winchester bulk 55gr., then I switched ammo......it would not cycle a single round of PMC 55gr. Anyone ever had this issue? I gave the remaining box of PMC to the guy next to me and his Spike AR eat them up.??????
WHY!!!!

Re: New AR build (1st range report).

Most of the short barreled carbines are very dependent on being fed ammo loaded with the right burn rate powder and loaded with the right bullet weight ammo or they can become very temperamental. Evidently the PMC ammo may be loaded with a powder that is wrong for your set up.

Robert

Second range report:

Well I changed it up a bit.
Upper: Surplus Ammo, flat top
Lower: Riggio Arms
Barrel: YHM 14.5 w/fix H2
BCG: Unknown
Trigger: standard DPMS
Olympic Arms carbine quad rail
Optic: None
Stock: VLTOR SOPMOD
Grip: standard A2
Front sight: YHM flip-up gas block
Rear sight: GG&G flip-up
Magazines: 30 round PMAGS

Don't know why but this thing runs like a champ now. I brought about 8 different types of ammo this time to include some of the PMC that did not work last trip. It did not have a single FTF or FTE. Now that I changed out some of the "nicer" parts this is the best truck rifle I have ever had.

Take care,
OW

My guess is either a gas problem or possibly you found a problem while changing configs?

Yeah, at one time I had 4 AR's taken apart on my work bench and when it was all said and done the small spring that fits under the sear failed to make its way bake in place. But we are good to go now!

OW