• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New AR Build

RD3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2008
Alabama
Well finally all of my parts are starting to come in, so hopefully it won't be long before it will be assenbled. Here's the parts list as of now and a few pics.

Sun Devil matched upper and lower
RRA lower parts kit with 2 stage trigger
Krieger Varmatch 1-9 twist .223, .920 at muzzle, and 22"
Youngs National Match BCG
XTR rings
SS 16x
Magpul MOE stock
MIAD grip
Gas block and tube supplied by Krieger with the barrel
Krieger Varmatch handguard
So far I'm undecided on the charging handle

I got a little ahead of myself getting the MOE stock. I can already tell just by the weight of the barrel it won't even come close to balancing, this barrel is just massive. Atleast this way I can go back with something black instead of green and change out the grip too. I'm not too concerned with the weight of it because it will mostly be shot from a bipod or bag, but it's going to be a porker for sure. Here are a few pics of it as it is now. I didnt post the SS 16x because I'm sure everyone knows how it looks, and the Krieger handguard is the way.

DSCN0460.jpg

DSCN0508.jpg

DSCN0513.jpg

DSCN0515.jpg

DSCN0462.jpg

Re: New AR Build

Good looking start. Few questions.

What chambering did you get the Krieger barrel in?
Was the gas block on the barrel from Krieger? Is this a set screw type?
What height XTR rings are those?
I may have to skip my GG&G scout rail, as it looks like my scope can mount directly to the top receiver rail, with rings of the right height. I think the extended cantilevered section on the scout rail is going to hit the bell of the scope. What scope are you using?

- Phil

how is your cheek weld on that w/ the super sniper and rings. thats the one thing i am worried about w/ my pof. hopefully i can get it low enough or i will probably have to go w/ a prs stock. you got a pretty start there.

You have to use high rings on the AR's to get past the charging handle. I have a Magpul stock like Ascendency and the check weld is fine with the high rings. I also have a Magpul PRS on another AR and that is one fine set up too.

100_0795.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phil3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good looking start. Few questions.

What chambering did you get the Krieger barrel in?
Was the gas block on the barrel from Krieger? Is this a set screw type?
What height XTR rings are those?
I may have to skip my GG&G scout rail, as it looks like my scope can mount directly to the top receiver rail, with rings of the right height. I think the extended cantilevered section on the scout rail is going to hit the bell of the scope. What scope are you using?

- Phil </div></div>

It is not currently chambered, I'm going to have my gunsmith chamber it, it will be .223 though.
The gas block is from Krieger, and it is a set screw type.
The rings are high or 3/4".
The scope will be a SS 16x.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: grunt soldier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how is your cheek weld on that w/ the super sniper and rings. thats the one thing i am worried about w/ my pof. hopefully i can get it low enough or i will probably have to go w/ a prs stock. you got a pretty start there. </div></div>

Just from mocking it up the cheek weld is just fine for me. I was worried about it too, but it doesn't seem like it will be a problem even with the MOE stock.

After looking at your pics, and the Burris site, those rings look like 1/2". I say that because, well, they look low, and the 3/4" model shown on the Burris site has a hole bored into the ring below the scope saddle. It does not like yours has that hole. Maybe a model change, or I can't see the pic well enough.

- Phil

The box they cam in says they're high, but they may have been boxed wrong. I'll check them with the calipers here in little while and report back what I get.

Apparently they were boxed wrong. When I measured them they were 1/2".

Well, good that is caught now. Even with a 30mm scope tube, 1/2" would give you a scope centerline height of 1.09", which is really low. I expect the taller ones will work better for you.

- Phil

Yea I bet I'll have to step up a size for sure. It's kind of irritating they were boxed wrong, but oh well it's nothing money can't fix.