• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

New AR owner

danb303

Minuteman
Jan 26, 2009
Alabama
I just bought my first AR. I have never really wanted one but I ran across a good deal in one that is the style I like. It's a varmint type with the stainless barrel and flat top receiver. So, I need to know all aboout AR's.

First, I know I am going to need a shorter mag. I only got a 30 rd and it is going to be too long for shooting off my table. What brands are good?

Specs. Rock River Arms 24" barrel, 223/556 1 in 8 twist. I'm going to use it for a "coyote" gun.

So, tell me what I need to know

Re: New AR owner

Figure out what optic you want to use an that will help with what sort mount etc you'll want which is something to keep in mind.
As far as mag's any 20rnd would be good depending on legalities in your area but I'd vote for Magpul's "Pmag" over the rest.
You may also want to upgrade your trigger as well if it doesnt have the RRA match trigger in it.

My first choice in Mags would be Magpul if a 20-rounder is small enough for you. I have quite a few and have run MANY rounds with zero issues. Look up their videos on youtube.

There are many other good choices out there, though.

There is no such thing a too much oil in a Stoner rifle. Believe that! The rifle should shoot any bullett up to 77gr. with that twist very well. I'm new to this site but there is Tons of awesome info, enjoy your new rifle, it wont be your last AR. Congratulations

Thanks for the info. Midway is out of the Magpul mags. I ordered 2 AR stoner (?) mags to hold me over. I also ordered 3 types of ammo hoping to find something decent out of the box. What oil and where all does it need to be applied? I haven't even taken it apart yet.

I want a butt plate extender. Does anyone make one? And maybe a cheek piece?

I will give yet another +1 to the Magpul Pmag. Midway is a good site; however, I find if I only want 1-2 small items that shopping elsewhere is cheaper due to Midway's shipping price (probably about 10 bucks to ship 1 mag if you live in ohio, though for 10 mags it still be 10 bucks). As for a butt plate extender and a cheek piece several companies make them. You will find that everyone and their brother makes parts for ARs. Congrats on your purchase.

Pmags aren't expensive and work well. Cproducts I have a ton of, never had a problem with them.

RRA bull uppers with the wylde chamber and 1:8 twist are stupid accurate so you should be happy with it.

What part do you oil? The bolt. Look around youtube or whatever for "how to field strip/oil an AR 15" videos, I'm sure there are plenty of them.

CLP is what most people use but pretty much any synthetic lube will work. Just look at the thread about people using mobil 1, seems like a really cheap solution.

Shame on you guys!!! I ordered TPS LOW rings...LOL Needless to say, they won't work. I ordered the Burris AR mount. It looks pretty good and got some good reviews. Maybe that will work...

Anyone need...oh I can't do that
frown.gif

Leupold Mark AR scopes are a good choice for a decent optic. timney trigger, that is if you dont like the one you have.

I have the same rig. 24" barrel, NM trigger in the lower. I use Bushmaster 10 rounders(A NJ requirement) . I havent seen a bad bullet from 60 to 77 grains. This thing out shot my WOA match upper. Use tall rings. I use a 1 pc ring/mount.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: danb303</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just bought my first AR. I have never really wanted one but I ran across a good deal in one that is the style I like. It's a varmint type with the stainless barrel and flat top receiver. So, I need to know all aboout AR's.

First, I know I am going to need a shorter mag. I only got a 30 rd and it is going to be too long for shooting off my table. What brands are good?

Specs. Rock River Arms 24" barrel, 223/556 1 in 8 twist. I'm going to use it for a "coyote" gun.

So, tell me what I need to know</div></div>

...the brain trust is over are ar15dotcom