• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing new ar problems

42769vette

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2009
liberty indiana
just finished a ar build. and there is a problem. its almost like the feeding ramp is at the wrong angle. when it loads a new round it jams the bullet into the feed ramp and jams the gun. i was shooting reloads that work fine in other ars, but im not ruleing out them as a possibility. it jams the bullet into the feed ramp hard enough to change the seating depth of my bullet and somtimes pushes the bullet back into the casing wich to me suggests a neck tention problem, but as i said it works in other ars.

im not getting into the brand debate. this is ar was not built with the very best parts out there but it wasn't built with the cheapest either. im just wondering what could cause this.

Re: new ar problems

What mags u usin?

Try some different mags, sounds like the mag is riding too low in your lower. or the lips on the mag are fucked up.

+1 on trying different mags.
Does you barrel extension match your upper? Regular barrel extension with an M4 cut upper can catch on the end of the bullet.

after posting this on a couple forums i got the same answer of mags. i only tired one mag and opened the package and this was the first firing through it. its funny how a fresh set of eyes can point out the obvious. i read some reviews of the new stoner mags i bought and im not the only one with this issue.

i cant believe i jumped the obvious and blamed my reloads that have never had one issue and the gun.

I have always had good luck with C-Products Stainless mags w/ magpul anti-tilt followers. Try some of those.

my gun has a m4 extention with a rifle upper. from what i understand thats not the best but ok. (correct me if im wrong)
out of the 4 mags i tried one mag is good to go the other 3 wont work. the mag that works is one of the stoner mags i ordered. 2 of the mags that dont work are the same mag ordered at the same time. the other that doesn't work is a older good steal mag. all mags work in other ars.

i did notice that one mag when i hit the bottom to lock it in slid way to far in. it slid all the way to the curve in the mag and was a bitch to get out. could my problem be with my mag release button?

While an M4 barrel extension cut combined with an upper rifle cut "might work," that seems like something easily improved and made perfect. Take your upper to a gunsmith and make the upper cut match the barrel extension M4 cut. I would do that just for peace of mind, especially since you are having feeding issues. Try a different brand of mag, this is the first and easiest step to troubleshoot your mag issues.