• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New AR10 build well sort of

cgmaster1

Captain
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2006
Gulf Coast Mississippi
I just got done building my new AR10. I thought about building a magnum something in 7mm or 6.5 but decided to stick with 308 for now. Also I used one of my old lowers. I did some work on the trigger which was a LMT match trigger that was smooth to begin with just had a little creep and I like the A2 stock so no other changes to the lower.

The upper started as a custom 243 win upper I got cheap. I don't know who built it but it had a custom stainless barrel, aftermarket gas block, Noveske, SWS rail. It looked like new I was told the previous owner never shot it.

The SWS rail was a little tricky to get lined up perfect but I finally got it and may have found a way on accident to perfectly align the reciever, barrel and barrel nut so that the mating surfaces are perfectly true. I will have to do some research on this later. The barrel I am using is 24" longer than what I wanted but I will cut it down very soon and thread it for a brake and can. Also it is a factory Armalite barrel that I think was made by Lothar Walther. I am thinking 18" but am going to start going down 2" then cutting 1" increments till I get to 18". I may stop at a longer length because I still want to be able to reach 1000m. I turned it down some under the handguards to reduce weight but it is still heavy to carry around. the headspace on the barrel was .0075 over min specs but it is a long jump to the lands. I can only seat to mag length. My next barrel I will cut my own chamber so that I can seat the bullet into the lands.

I started developing loads for it today. My 1st testing I used regular Lake City ammo luckily my bore sighting was only off less than .5" left and low. The next 10 rds all rounds were touching in less than .5" hole. Needless to say I had a big grin on my face. I am going to try to get out to my 600m range to test some loads this afternoon. Only problem is I only have some cheap brass that I can do testing with other than some new Lapua brass I was saving. I can't wait to see what this thing can do at 600 and 1000m.