• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New AR15, Daniel Defense LRP MK 12 , Knights LRP, H&K

Mag 300

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Dec 31, 2006
    Downers Grove Illinois
    Looking to buy a few new rifles, have always had the Knights Armament LRP, I have heard a lot about the Daniel Defense rifle and I particular the LRP MK 12 model
    also H&K, Saints etc

as looking for a few of the same for parts interchange ability what are your experiences with any of the above ,

Thanks in advance

I think a little more info. would be helpful and get better responses.

What are your priorities for the rifle? Bullet proof reliability? Accuracy? Value? Versatility?

What do you want to do with the rifle? Long distance shooting? Three gun? Home defense? General plinking?

What's your budget?

What HK are you interested in and why? I own a 416 10.5" upper which I like. It's been 100% reliable and it's got a great barrel. Plus, it's somewhat collectible, so my hope is that if I go to sell it I will recoup most of my investment. But honestly, if you are interested in this kind of piston design I'd try to find a Sig 516 upper, which I recently saw for $569. No, it's not identical to the HK, but it is similar and about 1/6th the price. Or look at PWS - light for a piston, reliable and very soft shooting.

Uses would be long range shooting with accuracy being equally important as reliability
    I had a Knights LRP shot it a lot
    It was accurate and reliable for sure , when I sold it also made money on it

I was going to just get 2-3 of them again just searching to see if there is a better product out there as my experience is 2-3 years ago and the market as well as products improve

Thanks

Def don’t buy a saint. Going from a KAC you’ll be surely disappointed. Dd is fine but also not in the same league.

For accuracy and distance go with jp. Also don’t listen to the naysayers about them being game rifles because they are super reliable, when you get them tuned. You can get them to be very smooth shooting with the gas system, low mass bolt, and silent capture. I always have a blast shooting jp rifles, and can shoot splits in the low .10.

Lmt are my go to, they feature the easy barrel and caliber change and they are built like tanks. Throw on a 20 inch ss barrel for distance, and then put on a 10.5 chrome line for close range.

Hk mr556 is really well built but it’s pricey and heavy, parts are proprietary, but it could serve your need for accuracy and quality.

Unfortuantley now is not the time to buy a KAC rifle...you will be looking around $3500+ if you can find one. Uppers going for $2500.

However the LRP is the king of factory long range .223 rifles. No one makes a better factory gun.

Uses would be long range shooting with accuracy being equally important as reliability
    I had a Knights LRP shot it a lot
    It was accurate and reliable for sure , when I sold it also made money on it

I was going to just get 2-3 of them again just searching to see if there is a better product out there as my experience is 2-3 years ago and the market as well as products improve

Thanks

Honestly, nothing has significantly changed in the last five years of so. Considering where the AR is in its development cycle, reliability from factory rifles is pretty much going to be a non issue. One is not going to see a significant difference in accuracy between say a KAC LRP a DD Mk12.

I personally I like and shoot LMT and KAC, but honestly would not be outgunned with a BCM or DD or any other halfway decent rifle.

I’ll you will not be disappointed with the KAC and if you are wait a few years and you will probably be able to sell it for more than you paid

Reactions: CrabsandFootball
    Honestly, nothing has significantly changed in the last five years of so. Considering where the AR is in its development cycle, reliability from factory rifles is pretty much going to be a non issue. One is not going to see a significant difference in accuracy between say a KAC LRP a DD Mk12.

I personally I like and shoot LMT and KAC, but honestly would not be outgunned with a BCM or DD or any other halfway decent rifle.
    Disagree greatly here.

The LRP is using a krieger cut barrel and the mk12 which is a bullshit name as its not even close to a mk12, has an inferior barrel.

I would bet your average LRP will shoot significantly better than the ddmk12 using ammo such as BH 69 or 77gr smk.

Disagree greatly here.

The LRP is using a krieger cut barrel and the mk12 which is a bullshit name as its not even close to a mk12, has an inferior barrel.

I would bet your average LRP will shoot significantly better than the ddmk12 using ammo such as BH 69 or 77gr smk.

Maybe...

I have always like the way kriegers shoot, but honestly there are some really nice shooting barrels out there. Maybe DD doesn't fit the bill but JP and others put out great barrels. Hell, noveski had really good barrel a while back.

There is a reason people seek out and pay a premium for cut rifle barrels from select manufactures. Especially discerning shooters like we have here.

Plenty of hf and button rifled tubes have set records but if you want the highest probability of a hanmer....the market doesnt lie.

DD makes great HF barrels but they are not in the same class and noveskes barrels (which i have build dozens if not over a hundred mk12mo and m1 around) were nothing but rebranded pacnors. Good barrel for $350 but not not a $600 krieger. Some shot lights out and some just shot well. Thats the lottery you play with cheaper barrels.