• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NEW Armalite AR10-T Hanging up!

TreeClimber300

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2010
North Carolina
I just got my new AR10-T recently and I cant figure out why it wont stop hanging up. I figured it just had to be broke in but its not getting any better after shooting about 100 rounds of good hand loaded ammunition.I have kept it oiled up very good and this is not helping. I think it could be a problem with the clip.It came with the generation 2 clip. My friends came with the generation 1 and he has no problem with his. Has anyone had this problem or have any suggestions for a solution to my problem?

Re: NEW Armalite AR10-T Hanging up!

First off...it is a magazine (or mag), not a clip.

Second...when you say "hanging up," what specifically do you mean? Can you describe the exact failure(s) the rifle is experiencing? Any pics?

Finally, when you say "good hand loaded ammunition" can you be more specific on your loads including bullet, powder/charge, COAL, etc.? Also, have you tried any factory loads in the rifle? If so, did you still experience the failures you are talking about?

As for the differences between Gen 1 and Gen 2 mags, it should not make a difference (generally, the Gen 2 mags are MORE reliable in my experience). If you have access to a different magazine, it is always a good idea to try them to see if that resolves the problems.

Finally, and again depending on the exact types of failures you are experiencing, if the rifle was a new, factory production gun and isn't functioning properly, it may be time for the rifle to take a trip back to Geneseo!

Good hand loaded ammunition is another way of saying im not shooting cheap ass factory loaded ammo. And excuse me for not using the proper name for a MAGAZINE. I think you knew what I meant. Next time just dont comment.

Were all hundred rounds out of the same mag? I had an AR10 back in 02 and it would not run worth a shit until I polished all of the Mag lips, these were the converted M14s. Still only 6 out of the 20 I had converted ran enough to depend on. All this was before they had the new mags and fixed the feeding problems on the AR10.

Oh get over yourself and reread my post to you!! I was trying to be helpful although I did, excuse me, correct you on the clip vs. mag issue. I wouldn't have bothered posting anything at all if I wasn't at least attempting to help you out, sir.

Furthermore, I was not attacking your use of reloads...I use reloaded ammo the vast majority of the time in all my rifles...BUT, in many instances, reloaded ammo can cause problems with proper functioning of some semi-autos including your AR-10. It all depends on how the ammo is loaded, the overall length of the ammo, etc., etc. It is a legitimate question that relates directly to proper function of the rifle.

Now, if you'd like to get back to the subject of your malfunctiong rifle, I'd still be willing to help you out if possible.

Your response isn't going to get you helped at all. More specifics are needed in order to diagnose your Armalite ailment. Funny that you have an explanation point in the subject line but not your last post. "Hanging up" could mean a number of things. Suggest you lighten up a bit if you're going to hang around and actually learn something/contribute and not end up a joke like black ump is. There are a lot of really good guys here, to include the one who first replied to your poor posting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powerman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good hand loaded ammunition is another way of saying im not shooting cheap ass factory loaded ammo. And excuse me for not using the proper name for a MAGAZINE. I think you knew what I meant. Next time just dont comment. </div></div>

They dont suffer fools here like other places. You may want to lighten up and listen before you post stuff like the quote above. Also, to your question, more info is needed like others have said.

I was really posting this for a friend who does not have internet access. He just told me it was hanging up every three or four shots. It was ejecting the empty case but not chambering the next one and sometimes the bolt would only come halfway back without even ejecting the shell. He is shooting 150 nosler accubonds with 46 grains of varget and some 150 grain factory loaded core locks.

Okay...that's a little better.

It sounds like an ammo or a gas system issue. Have your friend try the following and see if anything resolves.

First off, try cycling the action by hand a few times to verify that there are no issues with binding from the BCG, CH, etc. (should be able to feel any "dragging" or rough movement when cycling it).

Second, check that the gas key (on top of the BCG) is properly torqued down to 55in/lb onto the bolt carrier.

Third, remove the gas block and check that the gas hole in the gas block is aligned with the gas port in the barrel to ensure he is getting proper full gas flow. At the time you have the gas block/tube off, check to ensure there is no damage, impingements on the gas tube itself. The clamp style gas blocks that Armalite uses can get a little off alignment and cause problems if they are not properly aligned and tightened down (again, tighten to 55in/lb). Also, while you have the GB off, check the gas port size (which I THINK...I THINK...is 0.076").

Fourth, shoot the gun with good factory ammo to eliminate any possible variables relating to his reloads (the Core Lokt rounds don't count as "good").

Finally, if he has access to them, try a different mag (or mags) to ensure that it is not a mag-related problem.

Sounds good thanks. I will tell him to give that a try. I have the A4 and it hung up a few times when I first got it but it got better the more i shot it. Maybe it just had to be broke in. The bolt got alot smoother after about 100 rounds.

Based on what ur saying before u start taking things apart...because ur not gonna be able mess with gas port....it may be a mag feedlip angle problem. If the front of the lip is too high or too low the bolt will let go of the round too early as it is stripping the round out of the mag and actually jump over the round causing a jam.... u may try bending the front of the lip up or down a hair to see if that works. They a great feedlip tool for sale at brownells.

Make sure the extract and ejector is functioning correctly because if the ejector is stuck the round will also cause a jam... id mess with all the little things first.before assuming a gas problem

A simple test of the gas system is to load one round in the mag, fire it. If the bolt locks back on an empty mag, then you can conclude it's not the gas system, and the problem lies elsewhere, and you can start looking at the mags.

If if doesn't lock back, then there are some thing to look at. Is the gas block tight on the barrel, is the roll pin inserted into the gas block on the barrel.
Is the carrier key securely torqued, (55#inch), and correctly staked to the BCG?
Is the gas tube centered to the BGC key, and mushroomed correctly so as to not lose any gas?

If all's well in those areas, check your buffer and spring.

It's better to check the weapon function with factory ammunition.
I reload for all my guns, but function test with a standard, not handloads.

I knocked the shit out of my gas block one time. It rotated just enough to be out of line and caused malfunctions. It moved enough you could tell without measuring. I loosened the allen screws, aligned it, and drove on.

Not saying that's the issue, but it could be.

+1 on the Gas blocking lining up. I bought a 'T' back in 2001 and it FTF & FTE (Short stroking). The glas block was too far back. I had to shim it forward with about .012" shims provided by Armalite.
I still had a few FTE problems after that, so I polished the bolt around the gas rings, and the BC rails. That cured the problem.
Is your friends rifle <span style="font-style: italic">bone stock </span>or has he already put a different stock, short buffer tube, etc, etc, on it?
Too many shooters with semi's buy the gun, put all kinds of upgrades on it before shooting it even once. They have <span style="font-style: italic">NO</span> baseline to start eliminating potential problems. Often times it can be two or more "upgrades" that are malfunctioning at once, which makes it <span style="font-style: italic">very</span> difficult to diagnose.
I know a feller who had about $800 in upgrades on a Armalite waiting for installation before he even had the rifle in his hands. Most of it was JPE stuff. The biggest joke was the JP lightweight BCG made out of <span style="font-style: italic">aluminum</span>. WTF? Aluminum?
Yep! Armalite tech support could not even begin to diagnose the problem over the phone. He bashed Armalite and struggled with it for another year. I kept telling him to put it back to stock and then see if it would cure the malfunctions. He didn't follow my advice, Armalite's advice or anyone else's advice. If I recall correctly, it ultimately was a misaligned adjustable gas-block, that was also adjusted down too restrictive (He wanted to put a silencer on it too), and the silly aluminum "low mass" BCG didn't jive with the shortened buffer tube and B spring. He never rescinded or apologized publicly to Armalite so we don't shoot together anymore.
Good advice above it to try out a few other magazines to subtract that variable right off. Often times the followers don't move freely or consistently. Dismantling the magazine, polishing the inside, and friction edges of the follower fixes that problem 90% of the time. Also make sure the feed lips are not bent or damaged from dropping on something hard.

Thanks for all the info. I just dropped my mag from mine off at his house. We should find out some results tmrw. Thanks again for your time and helpfull info.

When I purchased my 1998 Armalite Ar-10T I had some problems with second generation magazines. I contacted the company and they sent me a new bolt stop and Magazine release and it solved all my problems with the rounds not chambering properly. The rifle shoots great now as long as I do my part. One thing I do is use a Wilson Gage on all my reloads to make sure they are all fitting so they do not have problems chambering. By the way even though I purchased the rifle used Armalite sent me those $50 worth of parts for free within 1 week. I'm sticking with Armalite, a quality company.

Is this a newer AR10T (with 20" barrel & forward assist) or an older version?
As already mentioned, check if the BCG locks back on a single round first.
Then concentrate on the magazines. The more different magazines that you try out in the rifle the better before you start polishing and/or bending feed lips. 2nd generation magazines are a better magazine than the 1st generation. Make sure that you have eliminated all possibilities that it is the magazine/s before you start looking at other causes of the problems.