• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision New Armasight Units (Sidekick and Jockey 640s)

wigwamitus

Strictly Offensive Kit
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2014
LBJ
We (SOK) have decided to get in some of the new Armsight units, particularly the 640 Jockey and 640 Sidekicks.

The Jockey is a thermal clipon, 640x480, 12 um, 60hz.

3__25568.1678135447.png

As far as thermal clipons go, its pretty short ...

OASYS/BAE/Trijicon UTC-x 6.8"
Armasight Apollo42 8.5"
EOTech ClipIR 6.8"

Jockey 640 6.8"

==
Weight Jockey 640 0.85 LBs

Here are the specs:

52775671205_43fa89f74c_c.jpg

We hope to get hands on them, late April/Early May.

This is a SR clipon, recommended for LPVO up to around 6x on the day scope.

MSRP on the Jockey 640 is $4,100.
==

The sidekick seems to be sort of the 3rd generation Q-14 (for those Armasight historian among you :D ) ... with the Breach being the gen 2.

2__29696.1678392951.png

At 8.5oz the sidekick 640s are pretty light. They are helmet mountable and we'll be bundling them up with a bridge as well.

52775291496_a3d73c1e93_c.jpg

MSRP on the Sidekick 640 is $3,300.

... more to come !!

Thank's for the questions - both online and off line !!!
I'm running these by our Armasight contact - also asking if we can get a copy of the manuals for these units, which would help answer some of the questions.

More to come !!

==
And BTW, the "moveable image on the screen" feature of the breach also (barely) enables it to be used as a clipon. I'm not sure about its recoil rating, but I've shot mine off a 556(14.5) and it hasn't broke yet !
But yes, are these new Armasight thermals using the same (front end) software that was on the old ones (like FLIR did) or totally different? Looking through the manuals would answer that real fast !

Last edited:
That's for the questions - both online and off line !!!
I'm running these by our Armasight contact - also asking if we can get a copy of the manuals for these units, which would help answer some of the questions.

More to come !!

==
And BTW, the "moveable image on the screen" feature of the breach also (barely) enables it to be used as a clipon. I'm not sure about its recoil rating, but I've shot mine off a 556(14.5) and it hasn't broke yet !
But yes, are these new Armasight thermals using the same (front end) software that was on the old ones (like FLIR did) or totally different? Looking through the manuals would answer that real fast !
Keep us up to date, I am very interested in these.

Ok, heard from our friends at (new) Armasight.

They will get us manuals ASAP.

Both the Jockey and the Sidekick have image-screen adjustments, like the breach did, so this sounds like a solid YES.

They mentioned a "Ravin" mount that will be available for the sidekick, which sounds interesting. Hoping to learn more about that soon.

And it sounds like our questions generated some more internal discussions on their side leading to us getting more likely to get early copies of the units in hand, but we will see. Having worked in high tech manufacturing myself for a number of years, I am well aware that "done" dates are just guesses on everyone's part ... and as users of the output of the process, we really don't want them to ship something that isn't ready, right !! :D

But, the purpose of this thread is to keep everyone in the loop on what we know as soon as we know it, so keep asking away and we will try to get the answers !

Ok, heard from our friends at (new) Armasight.

They will get us manuals ASAP.

Both the Jockey and the Sidekick have image-screen adjustments, like the breach did, so this sounds like a solid YES.

They mentioned a "Ravin" mount that will be available for the sidekick, which sounds interesting. Hoping to learn more about that soon.

And it sounds like our questions generated some more internal discussions on their side leading to us getting more likely to get early copies of the units in hand, but we will see. Having worked in high tech manufacturing myself for a number of years, I am well aware that "done" dates are just guesses on everyone's part ... and as users of the output of the process, we really don't want them to ship something that isn't ready, right !! :D

But, the purpose of this thread is to keep everyone in the loop on what we know as soon as we know it, so keep asking away and we will try to get the answers !
Great to hear.
I see the Jockey is rated for 5.56. I wish it had more range as far as ratings for systems.
I also see they list a rear collimator? The other question is how many profiles for zero can it store?

Has anyone been able to try their Watchman IR illuminator yet? It seems like a good deal for a Vcsel illuminator at $220.

Wig, if they can set that Sidekick up such that it can be used as a bona fide short range clip on with a minimum 556 recoil rating and also include a nice flip to side mount they would have a winner.

Point being that one device with a diopter allows it to be a great small spotter and then index the diopter for use as a clip on and you are good to go in a one and done shorter range unit compact unit.

Hopefully they would harness your talent as an adviser for some of these systems.

Has anyone been able to try their Watchman IR illuminator yet? It seems like a good deal for a Vcsel illuminator at $220.

I’ll have one soon. Supposed to be an incredible value.

Great to hear.
I see the Jockey is rated for 5.56. I wish it had more range as far as ratings for systems.
I also see they list a rear collimator? The other question is how many profiles for zero can it store?

We will validate collimation. Knowing the price point is half of a factory collimated device, my hunch is this unit will be manually collimated to each device.

I’m fortunate to be local to a few ArmaSight guys and have plans to get out and do T&E before the production units hit. Really excited for their new line and price point for a 640 unit.

For clarity, we offer a stand-alone SideKick 640 for $3.3k, and for extra $100 you get a really nice bridge system. In totality you’re ahead several hundred dollars buying as a bundle.

Bridged will be offered separately for our portfolio of products at around $400.

Excited to see the feedback hit the streets so you hear it from someone other than SOK :)

Last edited:
For clarity, we offer a stand-alone SideKick 640 for $3.3k, and for extra $100 you get a really nice bridge system. In totality you’re ahead several hundred dollars buying as a bundle.

Bridged will be offered separately for our portfolio of products at around $400.

Excited to see the feedback hit the streets so you hear it from someone other than SOK :)
Nice! Any idea what their new bridge looks like?

Really impressed by the Ravyn. Price. Features. Size.

It's a perfect blend of all the best features of the KVC Universal Bridge and the IC D-14, for less of an investment than either. IPD adjustment. Dual band. Tension for each pod is adjustable. Best of all, it's engineered with simplicity in mind (it's dummy proof).

I'm watching these closely, and I really want them to be awesome.
That being said this is an unknown core, and Armasight hasn't bothered to put up any real pictures or videos through their thermals yet.
That concerns me some.
I'm hoping they put out some media to prove me wrong soon!

Last edited:
I was referred to this thread as a noob who is considering a Nox18 as a hmt/handheld. Was told to check out the "640 Breach thing" before pulling the trigger if I wasnt in a rush.

Could someone more experienced give a quick Nox18/ Sidekick in terms of specs? I realize its a limited comparison until they roll out, but how do they compare on a specs sheet?

@RockFarmer. As far as pixels working per Sq Inch at 100 yards The Sidekick is sampling 1 pix per 5.43 square inches at 100 yards and the Nox 18 is sampling 1 pix per 5.74 square inches at 100 yards. So the Sidekick has a very slight edge there. The Sidekick appears to have a better output screen at 1024 x768 vs the Nox at 640 x 480. Sidekick has several color palettes vs B&W only for Nox 18. I personally love the algorithms associated with Flir's color palettes as they offer greater ability to visually distinguish live critters from the other thermal scenery for me. Hopefully Armasights algorithms in the Sidekick can achieve the same thing.

Sidekick is listed at 8.5 oz vs 15.3 oz for Nox 18. So Nox is much larger and heavier. The Nox 18 does have cross hairs and can be used as a WMT vs the Sidekick is not showing to come with Cross Hairs. Nox 18 is twice as expensive as the Sidekick.

So performance wise they should be about what for what on image. It boils down to do you need for the unit to serve as a stand alone Thermal Weapon Sight?

For helmet mounting and handheld, I would definitely go with the Sidekick. Save a ton of money and weight.

@RockFarmer. As far as pixels working per Sq Inch at 100 yards The Sidekick is sampling 1 pix per 5.43 square inches at 100 yards and the Nox 18 is sampling 1 pix per 5.74 square inches at 100 yards. So the Sidekick has a very slight edge there. The Sidekick appears to have a better output screen at 1024 x768 vs the Nox at 640 x 480. Sidekick has several color palettes vs B&W only for Nox 18. I personally love the algorithms associated with Flir's color palettes as they offer greater ability to visually distinguish live critters from the other thermal scenery for me. Hopefully Armasights algorithms in the Sidekick can achieve the same thing.

Sidekick is listed at 8.5 oz vs 15.3 oz for Nox 18. So Nox is much larger and heavier. The Nox 18 does have cross hairs and can be used as a WMT vs the Sidekick is not showing to come with Cross Hairs. Nox 18 is twice as expensive as the Sidekick.

So performance wise they should be about what for what on image. It boils down to do you need for the unit to serve as a stand alone Thermal Weapon Sight?

For helmet mounting and handheld, I would definitely go with the Sidekick. Save a ton of money and weight.
There is a lot to like about the Sodekick.

It’s hard to overlook running dual bridged Sidekick 640s for about the same monies as a single unit from any of its competitors.

Thanks for the rundown!
I intend the 1x for hmt and handheld scanning so the cross hairs are not a big loss. The lighter weight of the Sidekick is a major benefit to me. I know the Nox is built to handle wmt capability which I can forego.

Reactions: WhereNow&How
There is a lot to like about the Sodekick.

It’s hard to overlook running dual bridged Sidekick 640s for about the same monies as a single unit from any of its competitors.
For bridging dual band what nv mono do you imagine might pair nicely with a Sidekick?

We have months of snow on the ground in New Hampshire so as I understand I should lean toward a dual band setup over dual thermal in these conditions?

Last edited:
Reactions: NHPiper
For bridging dual band what nv mono do you imagine might pair nicely with a Sidekick?

We have months of snow on the ground in New Hampshire so as I understand I should lean toward a dual band setup over dual thermal in these conditions?

We have several guys that are planning both dual band and dual thermal in the same conditions you describe.

Which one you pick really comes down to preference. Not enough snow in Texas to give you my experience either way. Humidity -- I got you covered!

After talking to @wigwamitus I am leaning toward dual band. I could relate to his process of visual adaptation to accommodate a dual band system for his purposes. The potential challenges feel ok to me, so we'll see.

I'm thinking Nox 35 with piggyback dot and ir laser/illum; with dual band helmet.

Reactions: Evolution 9
Not entirely settled on that. Could also go ACOG/ red dot/ clip-on. If I'm patient enough I'll wait and follow the Jockey/Sidekick reviews once they are out. Pricepoint is enticing.

@RockFarmer We'll have a video up just about as soon as we get a unit in hand.

Thank you for your support & business!

@Catman711

Expected in June, but I would prefer a fully finished product even if that means July. Armasight has been pushing hard to deliver an extremely competitive solution at an unbelievable price point. I'm as anxious as any.

Preston
It sucks to wait but hopefully it will be worth it! Any idea if the could improve on the 556 recoils rating in that timeframe?

Reactions: stefan73
I'm running my C35 on my .308 so a 5.56 option is nice. Of course more flexibility would be great but I'll take what I can for the moment. I wanted to get a theon but I started funneling money to build a house in Europe.

Ok, now we're hearing July/Aug timeframe for Jockey/Sidekick shipments. You hear it when we do. Disappointing but not totally unexpected.

I've worked in high tech manufacturing for several decades and the product development cycle has a lot of variables. Its effectively impossible to predict when a product will be done. As development and testing move forward, product requirements evolve. Also impacted by continuous evaluation of the market and the financial/feature sweet spot.
Hence delay not surprising.

We continue to hope this happens before fall hunting seasons !!

We also continue to ask for copy of manual, to enable earlier answering of questions.