• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Army Assault Rifle..

Karma Enforcer
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2014
This was a copy/paste from my Apple News app via Fox News. Link wasnt posting correctly.

"US Army eyes new automatic rifle that fires with pressure equivalent to tank: report
A new Army assault rifle will tear through any body armor with the pressure of a battle tank, strike from unprecedented ranges, and withstand the rigors of weather, terrain and soldier use, Army Chief of Staff. Gen. Mark Milley told The Military Times.
The new 6.8mm rifles, which are expected to be in use by 2022, will offer major improvements in capabilities over the decades-old M16 and M4 weapons, the Army claims.
USRETURNS 3 WAR BELLS SEIZED FROM PHILIPPINES A CENTURY AGO
The "Next Generation Squad Weapon program," is an Army initiative but has had input from Marines and special operations forces, according to The Times. Milley has described it as "better than any weapon on earth today, by far," and a "pretty impressive gun."
The so-called Next Generation Squad Automatic Rifle (NGSAR) will "weigh less, shoot farther, and pack more punch than the service's existing infantry weapons," Col. Geoffrey A. Norman told Task & Purpose.
The goal, Norman said, is to equip soldiers with rifles that fire "a small bullet at the pressure equivalent to what a tank would fire."
Norman cited the Army's shift from the urban environments of Iraq and Syria to the open terrain of Afghanistan and "near-peer threats like Russia."
"For the past 10 or 15 years, we've been really focused on the requirement of lethal effects against unprotected targets," Norman said. "Now we're looking at near-peer threats like Russia and others. We need to have lethal effects against protected targets and we need to have requirements for long-range lethality in places like Afghanistan, where you're fighting from mountaintop to mountaintop over extended ranges."
The upgrades in soldiers' weaponry will necessarily require changes in training, Army spokesman Lt. Col. Christopher Ophardt told The Times.
Bradford Betz is an editor for Fox News. Follow him on Twitter @ bradford_betz.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
©2018 FOX News Network, LLC. All rights reserved."

So when will we be able to buy our tank assault rifle?

Reactions: deersniper
I just wanna see how often they have to change barrels and how much of a PITA it is.

If that isn't duffleblog it's the stupid media villianizing the rifle beforehand to ensure civilians never get this "weapon of war"

Dumb.

If that isn't duffleblog it's the stupid media villianizing the rifle beforehand to ensure civilians never get this "weapon of war"

Dumb.

Didn't you figure that they were going to low-bridge us eventually?

Such nice reporting from people that have no idea how firearms actually work.
The barrel pressure (like a tank) shows it's just sensationalist, ignorant media BS hyperbole.
Nothing is really all that new, rather more refined and evolved.
Even Telescoping ammunition is not a really new idea,

Like people saying that the US army would be so much better off with something like a 6.5 CM instead of 7.62
Well.... over 100 years ago they already understood that with the 6.5x55 which essentially is slightly better than the 6.5CM just in a little bit longer cartridge, was excellent for military usage.
Look at actual military ammunition from 50 years ago & older... not that much different from the latest and greatest 6.xx mm fads:

6.5x55mm_Swedish_surplus_ammunition,_produced_in_1976.JPG

Politics and who gets paid to produce what has a lot more to do with it than the actual merits.

Sounds like they're blowing smoke about the new caseless SAW they've been working on. I can't recall if it's truly caseless or just a synthetic case, military weapons dev is in the shitter right now and I lost interest. Call me when they issue modern G11's and I'll sign up.

"will tear through any body armor with the pressure of a battle tank, strike from unprecedented ranges, and withstand the rigors of weather, terrain and soldier use"

I'm all for valid updates and appreciate the ballistic upgrade but REALLY???? Is that not some of the most astounding exaggeration you've ever heard?

Such nice reporting from people that have no idea how firearms actually work.
The barrel pressure (like a tank) shows it's just sensationalist, ignorant media BS hyperbole.
Nothing is really all that new, rather more refined and evolved.
Even Telescoping ammunition is not a really new idea,

Like people saying that the US army would be so much better off with something like a 6.5 CM instead of 7.62
Well.... over 100 years ago they already understood that with the 6.5x55 which essentially is slightly better than the 6.5CM just in a little bit longer cartridge, was excellent for military usage.
Look at actual military ammunition from 50 years ago & older... not that much different from the latest and greatest 6.xx mm fads:

View attachment 6984513

Politics and who gets paid to produce what has a lot more to do with it than the actual merits.

Great now they will be banning bolt actions because of you.

If you want to rip through body armor, you don't need anything new there.
It's more of trying to do the same thing but with cartridges that you don't have to be quite as "manly" to shoot or be able to carry as much weight.

Good old military ammunition from 70 years ago. The USA style 30-06 AP or the German 8mm Mauser AP will make short work of all but the very best body armor. Even the under powered British .303 with the old explosive tips is still impressive in defeating body armor.

This is typical click bait bullshit. First off Russia does this all the time hyping a system that they've made or prototyped that will be earth shattering. In reality its propaganda. I hate to call out our officials and maybe they're putting this out there to scare the chinese, but we all know the physics behind modern rifles. Anything that would fire at tank pressures would have to be pretty robust and for the rate of fire in a MG you'll end up swapping barrels quickly.

Second how will this MG be used differently, will we rewrite doctrine around its just such a bs article. It is not a 6.8 spc they are talking about either its something new and undeveloped but thats the chosen caliber. Fuck why not round down .3 tenths and make it a 6.5 so at least there is some bullet commonality.

So talking rifle rounds that will tear through body armor, since they make a comparison to tanks will these have an explosive component, or will it be like a sabot? Well they are on the 5th gen of sabot tank rounds, all shoot roughly around 81,000psi with muzzle velocities of 5100-5500fps. The US back in the late 60's or 80's had a few projects where they tried to down scale Sabot ammo to a .50 cal BMG. It just didn't work out to well and you can find a little bit about it online.

There was also The Special Purpose Individual Weapon was a long-running United States Army program to develop, in part, a workable XM-216 flechette-based "rifle, the problem was that the flechette didn't have enough mass when it hit a target and made a tiny hole while zipping strait through.

Fuck body armor. A couple of hits in the legs and you're just left on the ground waiting for the executioner to come for you.

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
Fuck body armor. A couple of hits in the legs and you're just left on the ground waiting for the executioner to come for you.

Get a copy of Grey's Anatomy pull out the diagrams of the organs and circulatory systems. Then get yourself some different common types of body armor & a few helmets, see where everything generally fits on you and how an average person would wear it.

Then overlay that information back on to the diagrams in your book.

Then start practicing where your new reflex aim points for pistol & rifle are going to be.

Caseless ammo is the wet dream of the anti gunners. Perhaps something with an expiration date would be ideal.

I get its advantage to the military weight wise but how about standing up to climate change - real climate change not the fake one - Im talking rain/ snow etc.

Sorry I would have probably complained when black powder got left behind.

"will tear through any body armor with the pressure of a battle tank, strike from unprecedented ranges, and withstand the rigors of weather, terrain and soldier use"

I'm all for valid updates and appreciate the ballistic upgrade but REALLY???? Is that not some of the most astounding exaggeration you've ever heard?

I got to agree. That description sounds almost mall ninja-ish doesn't it? I am sure Gecko45 and SPECOPS would want one mounted on the roof of their electric golf cart while they bravely safeguard the used DVD section at a large shopping center in suburban America. You never know when cartel hitmen with shinobi training are going to rappel down from the roof of the Starbucks and take the President's nephew hostage, right?

First of all, I am more than interested to know just why the Army would be making such changes when the current platforms that are being used are well suited for the task at hand? The 5.56 is not a pipsqueak round and the M-16/M-4 platform has served not just the US armed forces but many different forces all around the world. Even the Chinese PLA has an AR platform of their own. There is nothing wrong with upping the ante when it comes to firepower, but we all know the old words of wisdom: If it ain't broke, it ain't need fixin'.

Damn, now I am more than worried about next year's tax rates :oops:

Get a copy of Grey's Anatomy pull out the diagrams of the organs and circulatory systems. Then get yourself some different common types of body armor & a few helmets, see where everything generally fits on you and how an average person would wear it.

Then start practicing where your new reflex aim points for pistol & rifle are going to be.

That sounds like a lot of work. I think I'll just stick to headshots.

Like this right . ?
10dde397902e5dea5b77f9c6add3b5bc.jpg

I read the article... it's just stupid.

Rifle... marginally better, I suppose. But on the battlefield, about as effective a jump in capabilities as changing uniforms to something retro-stylish... If they put that money into training or, better still, into training kids in handling firearms in Hunter Safety, Scouts/4H and school shooting programs, encouraged civilian marksmanship with the same marketing budget as they encourage EBT cards and signing up for free phones, building ranges and safe places to shoot in communities all over America....

We could issue 03A3's and still have a population of soldiery who could make short work of anyone with a fancy new burp gun.

Marginally-incremental technology does not make a better fighting force. Training better warriors, instead of growing up a generation of plump, spoiled snowflake video-fiends... does make a difference.

Remember that while the children of Bethesda, Chevy Chase, Greenwich and Palo Alto are learning tolerance and understanding, the children of Ankara, Kabul, Dar es Salaam and Kum... are learning to kill the children in Bethesda, Chevy Chase, Greenwich, Palo Alto.... I need not go on.

Spend the money creating warriors. Then you can issue them nothing more than KaBars and they'll still win on the battlefield.

Cheers,

Sirhr

P.S. We looked at all this stuff at GD... part of the whole Soldier of the future stuff.... OCSW, New Infantry weapon, etc. Conclusion.... Add a few weeks to basic training and AIT... and you'd get more out of the weapons you have. They are already lethal. What is lacking in lethality is the 97 percent of American pampered snowflakes who are now unfit for service with virtually any amount of training... leaving it (as usual) to the three percent who are ready, willing and able.

There's actually a large artery in your thigh and if shot there you will bleed out rather quick. Probably before the executioner even has a chance to get to you.

Femoral. That's right. Where I live at a lot of inner city gangbangers have died in the recent years because they would ND their pistols in their waistbands after showing their homies their new ratchets.

The guy's buddies be like "Oh shit man we gotta get you to the hospital!"

But the guy would always go "Man, I m cool man it's just a scratch dawg I git that before all the time man I ain't going to no hospital with the po-po there man"

Next thing you know homeboy is chillin' with Biggie.

Femoral artery is no joke. My grand uncle in China once saw the aftermath of a bar fight in Heilongjiang where the aggressor had been stabbed in the upper right calf with a Bowie-type hunting blade. The guy that did the stabbing not only went in deep but TWISTED the knife as he came back out. The EMS had been called almost immediately but the guy literally bled out, went pale and eyes rolled back as the medics arrived. There was nothing anyone could do for him.

If you want to rip through body armor, you don't need anything new there.
It's more of trying to do the same thing but with cartridges that you don't have to be quite as "manly" to shoot or be able to carry as much weight.

Good old military ammunition from 70 years ago. The USA style 30-06 AP or the German 8mm Mauser AP will make short work of all but the very best body armor. Even the under powered British .303 with the old explosive tips is still impressive in defeating body armor.

You don't even need to penetrate body armor to be able to defeat it. What matters is how much sheer kinetic energy you can dump onto a certain spot on the armor and how much of it gets absorbed by the body as blunt force trauma.

The big, flatnosed lead bullets fired from the old time Sharps buffalo rifles can produce up to 3000 foot-pounds of energy 100 yards downrange. That .45 caliber slug does not need to penetrate armor to do catastrophic damage. One hit to the abdomen, that is going to produce a wound like the impact of a car. The unfortunate SOB that got hit is not going to be getting up again.

Body armor might even be a stupid idea when you are going to be facing soft point or flat point rifle rounds or rounds from high powered hunting revolvers. If you are not additionally decked out in adequate trauma plates you are going to be taking in the full energy output of these bullets when they expand and mushroom against the fabric of your regular soft armor.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
I didn't read all of the comments here, but the article is uninformed hype, nothing else. The same thing has been published before and hashed out here ad nauseous- that's not a mistake Veer... What is the chamber pressure of a tank cannon? 60,000-80,000 psi. What is the chamber pressure of a typical modern high power rifle? Up to about 60,000 psi according to my reloading manuals- some above that by a fair bit. The article wants the reader to think the new rifle will, somehow, have the power of a tank. Bwahaha! In reality, m855a1 ammunition is already specified to ~61,000 psi (or 61 kilo psi, which sounds so much greater). This new wonder rifle will achieve 60-80 k psi. This article is much ado about nothing.