• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Army Rifle, range 2300meters XM25

pawprint

Private
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2009
Looks like the Army is going to buy 10,000+ XM25 rifles this year, game changer-big game change for snipers, and all others, it won't be long before others are making their copy, 2000+ feet range,"can't miss" type weapon. I'd like to see at least one per squad.

Re: New Army Rifle, range 2300meters XM25

The way I read it its 2300 ft, not yards, its a bit pricy at $35K a copy, but I agree, if it works it would be a game changer.

Its ugly though.

Still, one per squad would give the ground commander a heck of a tool.

xm25640.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">After years of development, the U.S. Army has unleashed a new weapon in Afghanistan -- the XM25 Counter Defilade Target Engagement System, a high-tech rifle that can be programmed so that its 25-mm. ammunition detonates either in front of or behind a target, meaning it can be fired just above a wall before it explodes and kills the enemy.

It also has a range of roughly 2,300 feet -- nearly the length of eight football fields -- making it possible to fire at targets well past the range of the rifles and carbines that most soldiers carry today.
</span>

Ugly... But that's a badass SBR lol...

Are batteries included, or do you have to buy your own like with the Night Vision gear issued? How many AA's does it take?

Ok, a bipod, a adjustable cheek piece, a bayonet (good call!), and how about a folding stock, a verticle handgrip up front, and a lazer. Gotta have a lazer.
How about a neat camo finish? Urban Camo maybe? Digital? Are high cap mags available? If not, why not?

Oh, don't forget we require it shoot 1000 yards and less than 1 MAO.

..and here I am bitching about the price of Bergers.
Hopefully this will solve some issues for our boys.

How much per round?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wikipedia</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The weapon has been fired 55 times at a price of $1000 each.</div></div>
Wiki says $35 each after they are in full production.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XM25_CDTE
I can't believe that they are that cheap!

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/W-7L0Frj6vQ"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/W-7L0Frj6vQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

thats pretty damn cool

55 test fires and it's going into battle?!?

Can't believe it doesn't have a laser. You'd think that for accurate trajectory to those distances, it would have to have some sort of ballistics involving a lrf.

Personally, I don't shoot anything without a 26" barrel so I think it needs one too. I mean it <span style="font-style: italic">can't</span> be accurate w/o a 26" barrel right?
smirk.gif

Also needs a suppressor and a muzzle brake.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">55 test fires and it's going into battle?!? </div></div>

Agreed. Not enough testing. How many enemy were killed? At what average cost?

550yard point target? A trained sniper can wack targets at 550 yards left and right for $0.90 a round. 770yard area target? That's 240 distance- probably about 1.4 rounds (~$1.30) per kill for the average sniper at that range. The sniper does cost about $35,000 to train from an Infantry soldier, but I doubt the smart gun is going to be half as effective as they claim it will be in the hands of the average grunt under battlefield conditions anyway.

America can't think of enough ways to waste money. They would probably be better off fielding an improved high velocity 40mm grenade launcher (800meter dumb munitions), and one high velocity rifle per squad. Like maybe a .300 win mag in an Ar10 (cobb) style action.

That way they could put the emphasis on fielding the special weapons to people who have a little talent, and not pretending the rifle will kill the right people by itself.

The XM 25 has a sight and has to be aimed and programmed appropriately- in other words soldiers are going to need to be trained and skilled to use it, and I don't think that's going to happen.

A perfect example is the old Dragon- All the soldier had to do was GRIP the handle, aim the sight, pull the trigger and keep the sight on target. I saw three soldiers fire it once on a range in calm conditions. One of them gripped, fired, and let go, cutting the wires (rocket was a total loss). One of them must not have kept the rocket on target, and only one of three soldiers hit the target- a tree about 2Ft wide at about 500 meters. Somehow it was a glancing blow and the rocket ricocheted and exploded in a nearby tree top.

AKA multiple $13,000 missiles.... NO effective target engagements on a calm range, no stress, with three soldiers who had just received the class from a soldier who went to a special school to become Dragon/Tow certified.

In other words the guy did properly teach the class prior to the firing of the missiles.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Soldiers were asking for a weapon like the Soviet RPG in 2003. That would probably be brilliant- an improved, accurate shoulder fired RPG with a range of 800 meters that fired $200 unguided warheads, or something like that. The launcher would probably cost $3000 not $25,000. </span>

That's the funny thing about modern warfare- the soldier keeps getting new toys, and in World War II a guy with an M1 garand would give you 20 dead enemy soldiers in a 16 month campaign. Now? The guy has a thermal sight, night vision goggles, and now a smart grenade gun, and if we could get those 20 kills it would be like winning the freaking lottery.

<span style="font-weight: bold">We need to train soldiers. We can't replace them with technology. </span>

Perhaps I've misunderstood the weapon but it's not a rifle and it's not a substitute for a sniper. Isn't it meant to be a 'smart' grenade launcher so that you estimate range, you choose your ordinance to either explode at the desired range or on impact and there you go...

so the example of the wall is that if the wall is 600m away and there are a bunch of BGs behind the wall you enter 605m as range and fire the weapon and aim above the wall so the ordinance explodes in the air, behind the wall and thuss killing all the BGs in one go.

that's what I got from it anyway...

I agree, Looks like a long range grenade launcher

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedRyder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can't believe it doesn't have a laser. You'd think that for accurate trajectory to those distances, it would have to have some sort of ballistics involving a lrf.

Also needs a suppressor and a muzzle brake. </div></div>
If you look at the video it does have a LRF. It would have to be wired to program the round. It looks like it is accurate to 1 meter out to about 500 yeards.I meant a lazer to put a nice red dot on a target.
It also appears to have a monopod already, but bipods are always better right?

I agree about the other things. Bipod, bayonet, adjustable cheek piece, folding stock, Lazer pointer, muzzle brake, a suppressor, a verticle foregrip forward, large cap mags, Thousand yard range with less than 1 MOA accuracy, and a urban camo finish.
Oh, and Flechette rounds, preferably soaked in poison from the glands of amazonian tree frogs.

With a properly zeroed Quadrant sight on the handle of a M16 you can drop 203 rounds against point targets to about the same range as this thing for point targets. This seems to have a greater range against area targets though.

Am I the only one that sees the usefulness of this?

Theres no sorcery, or quadratic formula for the soldier to do on the battle field.

~Pop-out, laze front of cover, pop back in.
~behind cover, add 1 meter with the big + button on the side (I hope yall noticed how fucking huge the +/- buttons on the side of the LRF sight module were)
~pop-out, fire overtop/through window, everything underneath-inside gets raped by a firestorm of shrapnel.

Confrontation DONE....

Instead of screwing around shooting wildly at eachother, wasting ass tons of ammo, only hitting baricades and cover

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paw print</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like the Army is going to buy 10,000+ XM25 rifles this year, game changer-big game change for snipers, and all others, it won't be long before others are making their copy, 2000+ feet range,"can't miss" type weapon. I'd like to see at least one per squad. </div></div>All I can say is WOW!

I am sure that the technology will be transferred and the weapons will be manufactured and assembled in Finland, and the ammo made in China, as no facility in America is capable of manufacturing it or the ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Am I the only one that sees the usefulness of this?

Theres no sorcery, or quadratic formula for the soldier to do on the battle field.

</div></div>
You do realize that there is no use of quadratic formulas when employing m203 quadrant sight, right?
It is good to know that you have the vision and insight to recognize the usefulness of this weapon, but by the time the Military is done making mods it will be the Zorg ZF-1.

The Laser system programs the rounds to explode at the appropriate distance....the round does this by calculating the number of revolutions per foot to detrmine how far the round is from the target. Once the round reaches the target the ammo can be set to airburst, burst on contact...either way....facing one of these things in battle is about as bad as going up again a dillion aero minigun. You better pack your sh*t and leave because a trained soldier with one of these weapons is gonna kill you quick.

We build weapons that arent designed to fight fair. It's called war....he with the better equipment and training + commitment and a bunch of money usually wins.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SteelShot11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Laser system programs the rounds to explode at the appropriate distance....the round does this by calculating the number of revolutions per foot to detrmine how far the round is from the target. Once the round reaches the target the ammo can be set to airburst, burst on contact...either way....facing one of these things in battle is about as bad as going up again a dillion aero minigun. You better pack your sh*t and leave because a trained soldier with one of these weapons is gonna kill you quick.

We build weapons that arent designed to fight fair. It's called war....he with the better equipment and training + commitment and a bunch of money usually wins. </div></div>

Given a choice between a trained US military sniper or the gazillion dollar grenade gun operated by Joe Snuffy, it will be more survivable to take your chances with the grenade gun, because the sniper is going to hit you inside the point target range of this weapon. Joe snuffy might forget to laser, laser the wrong object, hit a tree branch at max ordinate, or just miss.

What is the kill radius of a $1000 grenade the size of a golf ball? Probably a lot smaller than the kill radius of an RPG.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Armament</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SteelShot11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Laser system programs the rounds to explode at the appropriate distance....the round does this by calculating the number of revolutions per foot to detrmine how far the round is from the target. Once the round reaches the target the ammo can be set to airburst, burst on contact...either way....facing one of these things in battle is about as bad as going up again a dillion aero minigun. You better pack your sh*t and leave because a trained soldier with one of these weapons is gonna kill you quick.

We build weapons that arent designed to fight fair. It's called war....he with the better equipment and training + commitment and a bunch of money usually wins. </div></div>

Given a choice between a trained US military sniper or the gazillion dollar grenade gun operated by Joe Snuffy, it will be more survivable to take your chances with the grenade gun, because the sniper is going to hit you inside the point target range of this weapon. Joe snuffy might forget to laser, laser the wrong object, hit a tree branch at max ordinate, or just miss.

What is the kill radius of a $1000 grenade the size of a golf ball? Probably a lot smaller than the kill radius of an RPG.

</div></div>

perhaps we'll just have a bunch of snipers and make up a squad then.

you can shoot inside a window of a house at 400-500 meters with this thing and have it burst inside the house. take eveyone our. sniper can't do anything until he sees them.

you might then say shoot them up with a Mk19... well they are not soldier carried weapons. and I don't know of any joe's that can hit a window at 400-500 meters with a 203/320. (no idea how accurate this thing is either though)

Let's hope they don't ever learn about overhead cover, like putting logs and dirt on top of a hole and shooting from a narrow aperture, like Charlie. Charlie knew about overhead cover, and look how that turned out.

Overhead cover, that's when we call for air support and drop either a 2000lb Jdam on someone's head ( screw collateral damage) or we can go totally overboard and drop a MOAB on a reinforced position....just make sure the friendliest know that air is coming down.

He'll, were not far away from small drones packed with 30lbs of explosives that can be crashed directly into targets that are hardened while the soldier is controlling the drone from his smartphone connected to a playstaion like controller. Warfare won't be the same when we get this kind of technology.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SteelShot11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Overhead cover, that's when we call for air support and drop either a 2000lb Jdam on someone's head ( screw collateral damage) or we can go totally overboard and drop a MOAB on a reinforced position....just make sure the friendliest know that air is coming down.

He'll, were not far away from small drones packed with 30lbs of explosives that can be crashed directly into targets that are hardened while the soldier is controlling the drone from his smartphone connected to a playstaion like controller. Warfare won't be the same when we get this kind of technology. </div></div>
Or you could kick it old school, throw a couple smoke grenades, run up there with 5 gallons of gas on your back and jam the nozzle into the aperture.
One and two man fighting positions, mutually supporting, camoflaged, and with adequate overhead cover, are very very tough to spot, especially from the air even with IR or FLIR. Napalm would work great, but air would have to come low to deliver and most Air, except A-10 which are old, aren't built like that.
If those illiterate degenerate savages ever learned how to do things right it would get really really ugly. Tough enough as is, with them being irregulars.

Or, two guys with the new AA-12 shooting 20rd drums of the exploding fin stabilized shells should do the job nicely. And a a guy with a javelin missle hiding somewhere to drop one on top of the building just in case......you never know....

Or, an M1A2 main gun shooting a heat round would work.

This thread is getting out of hand and Im not helping but there is nothing like watching insurgents get taken out with the most ridiculous firepower on the field. Hell, shoot an excaliber round out of a 155mm howitzer at the position and wait for the oh shit looks on anyone even near the position....they will be leaving in a hurry.

Why the conflict? It's a tool and from the little bit I read about it, its a useful tool. No it wont replace snipers, it wont replace mortars, it wont replace drones, and it certainly wont replace a rifle squad, its another tool.

The more tools the better. Like in WWII, you can't win a war with air power alone, but that air power sure made it easier on the infantry troops.

If I was the ground commander, I sure wouldn't mind having that puppy in my bag of tricks.

It's easy to forget that the powers that be once hoped to put one of these into the hands of every soldier. Some how handing a 18 lbs supergun to a trooper already humping to much shit didn't go over well. The M25 is a good start but I'd love to see this weapon become lighter and cheaper to actually meet the OICW project goals and put a laser designated air burst AND a battle rifle in the hands of every rifleman. THAT would open up a ground commanders bag of tricks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oldgrayone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Group Buy? </div></div>

I'm down. Anyone else?
smile.gif

Well once I get once these:
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0hkCcoenLW4"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0hkCcoenLW4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>
I won't mind humping an XM25.

I doubt an AC-130 is anymore cost effective, it's sounds cool, and we always have the what if scenarios. I guess we will just have to see how it plays out.

If you already have an exo skeleton to carry basically unlimited wieght why stop at an XM 25. Why not a MK19 or Stryker, or a Duece? For that matter why not carry a chaingun assuming the frame can mitigate recoil too. I just drooled on my keyboard.

The XM25 is *supposed* to be a far more precise weapon than a MK19, and more weight would reduce the range the EXO could travel. But yeah definiatly drool worthy.

I was actually thinking about a stabilized laser designator, EO/IR equipped Bushmaster with 210 rounds in the hands of every Joe. The inhuman stability of an exoskeleton platform combined with a 25mm cannon. I did it again, this is pavlovian.
There's also an exoskeleton from Lockheed-Martin Thats basically just to increase load bearing capacity and reduce fatigue. It's starting to look like something similar to this may become standard issue for grunts in the none too distant future. Next up...lasers. I'm straying off topic now and have to go.