• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Arrival

Defender3

Online Training Member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 8, 2010
    Behind Enemy Lines
    Thanks to a member here who had an itch, I was able to scratch mine! A new arrival to the stable and a beautiful USMC Sniper Rifle clone. Gauges "0" at the muzzle and 1-2 on the throat. Work done by Chuck Moline and scope courtesy of a worn out Marine. I have named her "Olivia" and hope to get her out soon. Unfortunately, I can't this weekend as it looks like the remnants of Hurricane Michael will be passing over the estate.

Sorry for the weak pics, but you guys know this rifle. ;)

IMG_9170_JPG-700751.jpg

IMG_9171-1_JPG-700750.jpg

Attachments

• Pic 1.jpg
      Pic 1.jpg
      238.7 KB · Views: 53
    • Pic 2.jpg
      Pic 2.jpg
      62.3 KB · Views: 55
    • Pic 3.jpg
      Pic 3.jpg
      291.2 KB · Views: 52
    • Pic 4.jpg
      Pic 4.jpg
      277 KB · Views: 59
    • Pic 5.jpg
      Pic 5.jpg
      240.9 KB · Views: 54
    Hopefully you get good range weather this weekend.

Lets see some groups.

Reactions: Defender3
    It's going to be touch and go. I'm heading out on travel and back late Friday. Daughter may stop by, if she does, we'll do long range at Quantico with either the .260 bolt gun or the .260 gasser. I need to find a day I can hit the local range to do 100 with "Olivia" and then move her out to 300/600.

Reactions: pmclaine
    Thanks guys. I'm on travel but hope to update with a range report soon. I also received one of the Hi-Lux faux scopes and may also try it on the rifle.

To complicate matters, I found this in a Pawn Shop in Alabama, which has the makings of another project.

Attachments

• IMG_9501.JPG
      IMG_9501.JPG
      357.9 KB · Views: 97
    Reactions: sandwarrior
    Thanks guys. I'm on travel but hope to update with a range report soon. I also received one of the Hi-Lux faux scopes and may also try it on the rifle.

To complicate matters, I found this in a Pawn Shop in Alabama, which has the makings of another project.
    Ya! I know. Always frustrating when you think of a rifle the way it was, very easily turned into the rifle it should have been, eh?

Reactions: Defender3
    Alright, HouseHold 6 asked if I could leave the house today and go shooting. Okay by me, light winds and mid-40's, so a decent day. I took the USMC Sniper out to sight as I put a Unertl 8x on it. I took the lead sled with me as the local 100y range rarely has a spot for prone and I thought the rifle could be further off than it was. It was an easy 3-rounds to sight at 25 yards and then shoot some factory ammo at 100 to see how she shoots. I usually don't shoot from a sled so this was different. I know the rifle can do better, but trying to firm the rifle and follow through just wasn't happening. You can see it in some of the groups where there's stringing.

The rifle was easy shooting and I can't wait to get it on a bag and introduce some precision. I need to get used to the trigger as it's different than my 03A4, seems to almost have a spot where it hangs a bit before it breaks.

I should have used the flash, but I thought this shots with the dark were cool.

"Olivia" on the lead sled:

DSC_0742_JPG-736723.jpg

Looking down to 100:

DSC_0746_JPG-736722.jpg

In profile:

DSC_0743_JPG-736721.jpg

Differing factory ammo. I know I can tighten up these groups when I get on a bag and can shoulder the rifle and follow-through. M2 ball, not so good, Creedmoor 167gr Lapua Scenars, not so good. Hornady 168ELD-M good.

DSC_0767_JPG-736720.jpg

FGMM 168gr good.

DSC_0766_JPG-736719.jpg

I was loading 168 Nosler CC with about 46 grains of IMR 4064. The notation references different types of brass KA73 and FC10. All shot at 100.

Be sure to pull the scope back in to battery after each shot.

and I think you would be on the right path by ditching the lead sled. Get a good front and rear bag, put as much of your meat behind the rifle as you can and let the gun recoil naturally straight back into you mass.

P1166685.JPG

Last edited:
    Nice shooting there. Did you do a work-up for 175's? Since I'll be taking this to 800/1000, I think I'd be more comfortable with a heavier pill.

No 175 work. I have a bunch of 168s but will transition to 175 as I build a pile of them.

The big thing with 175's over 168's isn't so much weight, as there really isn't that much difference, it's that Sierra went and "massaged" the bullet to make it a whole lot better long range bullet. In doing so, some say they gave up short range accuracy to the 168's, but I don't really see it.

I've never used either as an all out BR load, even if I do try to get the best groups I can.

I may load up some Hornady ELD-Ms and some of the Sierra TMKs, I think that's what I have stashed away.

A guy that shoots his 03A4 at Quantico with me loads a 178gr Hornady and a 175 Nosler RDF over 48.1grs of IMR 4064 and seated to 3.300.

Last edited:
    Did you really find a smear stock in the pawn shop?

Yes, Larry's in Huntsville, AL. I almost fell over when I saw it. Pawn guys had no idea and thought the real money was in the $150 Vortex and Warne rings. Don't worry though, I used up all my luck on that one as my Mega Millions lottery retirement plan didn't quite work out. ;)

Last edited:
    Reactions: ScharfshutzeK98
    Yes, Larry's in Huntsville, AL. I almost fell over when I saw it. Pawn guys had no idea and thought the real money was in the $150 Vortex and Warne rings. Don't worry though, I used up all my luck on that one as my Mega Millions lottery retirement plan didn't quite work out. ;)

Geez.......Thats a $2k plus stock. Nice score! I assume you will be doing a M40a1 build?

That M40A1 looks really nice with that stock. Feeling some jealousy over that one. (I have an M40 and M40A5 clone, but not an M40A1..yet)

Wanna trade the smear for a regular? Hahahahahahahaha............J/K. I've got a regular with cert and matching metal on the shelf for a build eventually. My builder just got back from a deployment and will be getting the parts for an M40 first. If it's anything like the M40a3 he did for me its going to be pretty rad.

Wanna trade the smear for a regular? Hahahahahahahaha............J/K. I've got a regular with cert and matching metal on the shelf for a build eventually. My builder just got back from a deployment and will be getting the parts for an M40 first. If it's anything like the M40a3 he did for me its going to be pretty rad.

Well, let me clarify, that pawn shop smear is a commercial version McMillan made. Supposedly they made about 200 of them; still a smear though.

Reactions: pmclaine