• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New Athlon Midas BTR 4.5-27x50

army_eod

Retired Army
Banned !
Minuteman
Apr 20, 2008
AL
Just received the Chinese Athlon. Mounted on my Rem LTR 308 and boresighted.
First impressions. Nice solid scope with nice turret reset scheme.
Good eye relief. Whatever you call that characteristic that has to do with moving your head that causes the picture to be lost, it seems pretty sensitive to that.
But that all will be known better when I go to zero at 100 yards, etc. So more to follow.
Was not expecting perfection for this tier of optic. Glass seems pretty decent.
Looking forward to range time.

I've got one of these scopes in the mil version on a VGW V-22 that I built up as a sporter, with a 22" Krieger #4 sporter contour bbl chambered with an EPS match reamer, with a Jewell HVR trigger, pillar bedded in a Manners EH2 stock. Reason I bought a sfp scope for this precision 22RF rifle is that I carry it every evening after dark while taking my small Australian shepard/border collie mix out to do her business before bedtime. I wanted a good scope with an illuminated sfp reticle that would be just as visible & usable at 4.5x as it is at higher magnification. I'd originally put a 6-24x50 Midas TAC on this rifle, but w/o illumination, at night, with power set at 6x, the reticle was pretty useless. So I went looking through a 2020 Athlon Product Catalog and found the sfp Midas BTR Gen2, which I felt would work perfectly for this application, as well as when set on higher power while shooting off bipod/bag or bench during daylight. I've been very pleased with this one so far - no tracking issues, it holds zero very reliably, and just as the owner's manual states, the reticle's hashmark values are spot-on at 16x. The glass is plenty good enough for what I'm doing with this rifle, as is the mil reticle. I've had no regrets since mounting this scope on the V-22. I have Athlon Cronus 4.5-29x56 mil scopes on a couple of V-22 heavy comp rifles, a Zermatt RimX comp rifle, and a Rem 40XB repeater set up to use V-22 mags - and even though these 34mm scopes have better ED glass than the Midas, I'm still happy with the smaller, lighter 30mm Midas. The fact that I was able to find exactly the scope I needed for after dark use on this precision rifle in Athlon's line of scopes is an example of their desire to design, build, and distribute quality scopes for almost every shooter's specific needs, and to do so with scopes available at very reasonable prices.

I've got one of these scopes in the mil version on a VGW V-22 that I built up as a sporter, with a 22" Krieger #4 sporter contour bbl chambered with an EPS match reamer, with a Jewell HVR trigger, pillar bedded in a Manners EH2 stock. Reason I bought a sfp scope for this precision 22RF rifle is that I carry it every evening after dark while taking my small Australian shepard/border collie mix out to do her business before bedtime. I wanted a good scope with an illuminated sfp reticle that would be just as visible & usable at 4.5x as it is at higher magnification. I'd originally put a 6-24x50 Midas TAC on this rifle, but w/o illumination, at night, with power set at 6x, the reticle was pretty useless. So I went looking through a 2020 Athlon Product Catalog and found the sfp Midas BTR Gen2, which I felt would work perfectly for this application, as well as when set on higher power while shooting off bipod/bag or bench during daylight. I've been very pleased with this one so far - no tracking issues, it holds zero very reliably, and just as the owner's manual states, the reticle's hashmark values are spot-on at 16x. The glass is plenty good enough for what I'm doing with this rifle, as is the mil reticle. I've had no regrets since mounting this scope on the V-22. I have Athlon Cronus 4.5-29x56 mil scopes on a couple of V-22 heavy comp rifles, a Zermatt RimX comp rifle, and a Rem 40XB repeater set up to use V-22 mags - and even though these 34mm scopes have better ED glass than the Midas, I'm still happy with the smaller, lighter 30mm Midas. The fact that I was able to find exactly the scope I needed for after dark use on this precision rifle in Athlon's line of scopes is an example of their desire to design, build, and distribute quality scopes for almost every shooter's specific needs, and to do so with scopes available at very reasonable prices.
Great info, flatlander. Appreciate that.

Just had this scope out and playing around with it in low light and against heavy dark woods and light areas. As far as I am concerned it is superior to the Leupy Vx-3i LRS and the Optika6 4.5-27 both FFP.
I am not an FFP fan.

Reactions: gr8fuldoug
Well I just had the scope to the range and I did my 100 yard zero and this is one of the best scopes I have ever owned.

Reactions: gr8fuldoug