• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New Athlon Midas Tac 5-25x56

I have the 6-24x50 version and only thing i wish it had was illumination. I can dial to a mile from a 100yd zero with the elevation I have left.

How does a different erector and larger front lens tell you it it's the same design?

I never stated those 2 features brought me to that conclusion. The observation of the “same design” was assumed by looking at the pictures listed in their website which looks very similar if not the same as the 6-24. This is also assuming they have updated the pics on their site with the new 5-25.

I meant, those 2 things should lead anyone to the conclusion that they aren't the same design. But now I see you meant exterior design.

Correct, I’m also trying to figure out where the extra $200 or so comes in to play. Guess I’ll give my sales rep at Athlon a call tomorrow to find out.

Last edited:
Correct, I’m also trying to figure out where the extra $200 or so comes in to play. Guess I’ll give my sales rep at Athlon a call tomorrow to find out.

The new scope has:
  • a 5x zoom instead of 4x
  • a larger 56mm objective lens
  • larger 34mm tube
  • what looks to be a new elevation turret similar to the on one the Ares ETR
  • an additional 12 MIL of travel
  • a different (upgraded) christmas tree style reticle.

It doesn't really sound like the same design at all to me (other than cosmetic similarities), and I can see how all of that is easily worth a $200 price bump.

If only they could give me a windage cap....
Edit: they did, I can't read apparently.

I really like the 6-24 for a budget scope.

I'm thinking I'll be needing one of these on my .22 as the 25yd parallax is enticing.

At $850 MAP on this, do I go used Ares ETR or wait for some of these to hit the market?

Would street prices on these be somewhere about $600-$700 by SHOT show you think?

I know MAP. Talking expected Street Prices, secondhand, etc.

Athlon is very strict about enforcing MAP, with the exception of specifically stated windows where they allow dealers to sell below it (something you've probably recently seen with the Ares BTR scopes).

The last time I read their MAP policy they reserved the right to terminate dealer accounts where dealers were caught advertising or posting prices lower than MAP online (including "PM me for best price," "add to cart for price," "instant discount at purchase," etc.).

So a "street price" below map, from a dealer, isn't something you're going to see a dealer discussing online.

Reactions: gr8fuldoug
I just got one, but while i was waiting i found a great deal on a leupold mk5hd. If any one is interested ill sell the midas tac to recoup some leupold cost

I’m sure this scope will way out produce it’s price point. The original Midas TAC was by far the best bang for your buck out there. I’m looking forward to testing one of these.

Athlon has really made a believer out of me.

I mounted mine this evening and was able to shoot a little, and play with the scope a little more after that. It is advertised as 32 mils of elevation, but I can only squeak out 27.3 mils total (I.e. from 11.2 indicated when bottomed out to 38.5 indicated when topped out). I’m going to take the elevation cap off to see if the zero stop has anything I can observe that might be an issue. Ultimately this is not a ‘send it back’ issue for me but I’d like to know if my scope has an issue. [Edited to add: the zero stop plate was indeed hitting the block about 7.5 mils before the mechanism truly bottomed out. As a result, the elevation I can achieve is a total of 34.8 mils after loosening the zero stop plate. This will let me use a different MOA base to utilize almost all of the advertised amount of elevation.]

Observations, otherwise:

Subjectively the glass is very nice. I can’t tell a difference between the Ares ETR, Cronus BTR, and this Midas Tac.

Clicks are definite and precise, and line up with hash marks well. Much better than Argos BTR.

i don’t like the feel of the clicks, but I don’t know how to describe them. I like the Cronus BTR better, and even the Argos BTR clicks are preferable to me by feel.

Parallax adjustments dont really line up with hash marked yardage. No big deal to me, and I’ll work with the fast focus eyepiece to see if I can make these correlate better. This adjustment could stand to spin a little easier also, IMO.

Power adjustment spins with minimal effort, which is nice.

Overall I’d say a good value and in line with my expectations for mid range optics. I wouldn’t spend the money on this for a plinker and I’d expect and spend more if I were a legitimate precision rifle competitor at more than the club level. That’s exactly where Athlon wanted this scope to land in my estimation. It’s a niche market that I think Athlon is smart to look at.

Last edited:
The eyepiece measures 1.820" and the Objective measurers 2.505"

The 5x25x56 Midas tac scope is 19.4 " long with a sunshade, so I decided to not put caps on mine and go with a Scope cover instead. Caps seem to always be in the way for me at the range and a cover gives me more protection when in a bag. Just my .02 worth.

Absolutely the best scope I have ever owned. I have owned SWFA, Vortex, and Nikon optics over the course of my hunting and competition career.....and this is hands down the best scope I have ever used for either purpose. The floating dot in the middle makes shooting tight groups significantly easier and the level of tracking you get along with a 34mm tube for under a grand is astounding. I am 100% Athlon for life.

What SWFA did you own and what Vortex?

I have a gen 1 ARES BTR and it’s a nice scope but I wouldn’t say 100% Athlon for life.

Any chance you are selling Athlons?

I have owned several of the 10x42 SWFA optics in both minutes and mils, plus a 3-15 which now sits atop my old model 70 in 30-06. Vortex I have owned a crossfire, and a PST 6-24 Gen 1. None of em can even hold a candle to the athlons with the new turret design. The older Ares BTR does not have the new turrets. I am speaking on behalf of the Midas Tac, Ares ETR, and Cronus scopes.