• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Athlon Optics product announcements

steve123

Lt. Colonel
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2008
none of your business
The easy way to find out about them is go to facebook and click on the links.

Check out the """entire""" line of Helos Gen2 scopes with new reticles.
Of special interest to me is the 2-12x42 compact DMR/hunting scope! It's FFP with a thicker reticle/AHMR2 and a semi circle of death!!! Even has locking turrets, zero stop, Illume, and 10Y focus! 11.6" long and 22oz! Oh yeah, one is going to be living on my little CZ 527 coyote rifle when they come out!

A new Gen 2 Cronus BTR with all .2 mil reticle and new moa reticle as well.

New Ares ETR Gen 2 scopes including a 3-18x50 that focuses down to 10Y along with new reticles.

Midas 1 mile range finder

Midas compact RD and prism sight.

Rings, etc.

Last edited:
Digging the 2-12 Mil as well. Would've loved a 2.5-15 but this is close.

Adding the dot reticle to their Ares gen2 2.5-15 was nice too. Might be perfect for my local range's AR F-Class which maxes at 15x.

Reactions: Formosan
Athlon hasn't really been on my radar, I've not been fused on most of their scopes that may now be changing.

That Helos 2-12 FFP looks very interesting, I've been wanting a a scope exactly like that for a long while now.
No idea what the mechanical/optical performance of the Helos is but the FOV, reticle, mag range and turrets are exactly what I've been wanting.

Very interested to see the details around the expected 3-18ish Cronus as well as keen to see some reviews on the 3-18 Ares ETR.
If the Cronus comes out with the same APR6 reticle as the 3-18 ETR then I might buy one instead of a illuminated Burris XTR3 I've been waiting for.
I love that Athlon have made the reticle .05mil thick in these lower magnification models, the 10Y parallax is also nice touch.

I'm keen to see the details around the rumour new Bushnell LRHS/LRST and Burris XTR3 illum, but that 3-18x50 ETR(or Cronus) with a correctly sized reticle might be the mid priced crossover scope I've been waiting for.

I believe all Athlon's are made in China except the Cronus, which is Japanese. I'm loving my ETR though.
SOAP BOX: I am averse to buying anything from China at this time, thank you [China] for releasing a manufactured virus on the world, and STAY OUT of our country and politics!!! :RANT OVER

Having said that, Athlon was wise to introduce a "cheap" 2-12x42 SPR style scope, with all the new firearms owners especially with AR's I'm sure LPVO's have been hot ticket items but after the LPVO there is a need for something with a little more reach, these are new shooters who probably know nothing about quality but care more about their pocket book so releasing a $500ish scope will get a lot of attention, and kudo's to Athlon for getting an SPR style reticle right, I'd still like to see some changes but this is one of the best I've seen with the circle of death and the wind hold hash marks - I can't tell you how frustrating it is to see a reticle design with a scope that has exposed turrets and they put no wind hold hash marks! I'd like to see a 2-12x42 in the Cronus line that's made in Japan, LOW has made some great stuff for them, sure would like to see an SPR style FFP LOW scope beyond the Trijicon Credo 2-10x36.

1607795768886.png

Very interested to see the details around the expected 3-18ish Cronus as well as keen to see some reviews on the 3-18 Ares ETR.
If the Cronus comes out with the same APR6 reticle as the 3-18 ETR then I might buy one instead of a illuminated Burris XTR3 I've been waiting for.
I don't belong to FakeBook so can't see this stuff, but going to their website I don't see a Cronus 3-18 shown, can anyone share any more details as I assume this is a LOW design (made in Japan) scope? Burris has shot themselves in the foot by taking so long to release illumination in the XTR III, their initial comments of "taking the time to get it right", well if it takes over 2 years to get illumination right something is wrong, love the XTR III glass but handicapped by lack of illumination. But if this Cronus 3-18x50 comes in at the heft of the Ares version (34.5oz) then I'm back for waiting for the XTR III (or possibly this new replacement LRHS/LRTS Bushnell says is coming... but when?), manufacturer's need to understand that to be an effective crossover FFP scope you need to keep the weight down.

Reactions: YotaEer and MK3XXX
manufacturer's need to understand that to be an effective crossover FFP scope you need to keep the weight down.

At this stage I just want a suitable reticle for the mag range, a mag range that suits the intended purpose with a decent FOV, and capped/locking turrets.

Then I can start bitching about weight.

Reactions: Glassaholic
I don't belong to FakeBook so can't see this stuff, but going to their website I don't see a Cronus 3-18 shown, can anyone share any more details as I assume this is a LOW design (made in Japan) scope? Burris has shot themselves in the foot by taking so long to release illumination in the XTR III, their initial comments of "taking the time to get it right", well if it takes over 2 years to get illumination right something is wrong, love the XTR III glass but handicapped by lack of illumination. But if this Cronus 3-18x50 comes in at the heft of the Ares version (34.5oz) then I'm back for waiting for the XTR III (or possibly this new replacement LRHS/LRTS Bushnell says is coming... but when?), manufacturer's need to understand that to be an effective crossover FFP scope you need to keep the weight down.
The Ares 3-18x50 looked temping until I saw the weight, i’ll pick something different for my new long range hunting setup

The Ares 3-18x50 looked temping until I saw the weight, i’ll pick something different for my new long range hunting setup

I missed that new Helos 4-20x50, 24.9oz 13.3" long, same thick(ish) reticle as the ETR.
I'm guessing based on price the Helos range wont be fantastic glass, but the specs look great!

Maybe Athlon has been listening to my ranting and raving about a 4-20x50 and a 2-12 DMR scope.

Reactions: MK3XXX
@gr8fuldoug are you able to shed any light on all the new Gen2 Athlon scopes?
Seems like some models (like the Ares and Cronus) have had minor improvements made to the internals, whereas the likes of the Helos looks like a completely different scope.

Do you know where in the line up the Gen2 Helos sits? Is it like a Midas or Ares but with more hunting type features, or does the glass/mechanical quality sit in order that the MSRP price would indicate?

Reactions: FrozenMinnesotan
Nice, I've been waiting on an FFP version of the Razor LHT and the replacement for the LHTS/LRHS. I don't expect the glass is anywhere close to those two, but I'll be interested to hear what people think.

Athlon's page is here: https://athlonoptics.com/product/helos-btr-gen2-2-12x42-dmr-scope/

Dont like the reticle. The circle makes precise windage holds more difficult and is not needed it they would make the post bolder and bring them in to 5 mils from center.

John

At this stage I just want a suitable reticle for the mag range, a mag range that suits the intended purpose with a decent FOV, and capped/locking turrets.

Then I can start bitching about weight.

Not that it matters at this point since the 3-18 ETR APRS2 reticle is .05 mil thick, but the way I look at it a 3-18 should have at least a slightly thicker reticle, say .06 or .07 mil, so low magnification is more useful as far as seeing it, like use for hunting for example, while taking advantage of a wider FOV. Also I'd rather have 5-25-ish scope with a .05 reticle in it because I'll rarely be below 10x and that's about the right thickness for me. Precisely why I sold my S&B 3-20 because the reticle was too thin on 3-4X. It took me owning the scope for a while to realize I needed a thicker reticle in that mag range.

Yes one can turn the illume on the 3-18 but still.

And it's not like one can't make any shot if the reticle is slightly thicker.

And it's not like a .01-.02 thicker reticle will obscure a shot.

Your thoughts, or anybodies thoughts on this???

Not that it matters at this point since the 3-18 ETR APRS2 reticle is .05 mil thick, but the way I look at it a 3-18 should have at least a slightly thicker reticle, say .06 or .07 mil, so low magnification is more useful as far as seeing it, like use for hunting for example, while taking advantage of a wider FOV. Also I'd rather have 5-25-ish scope with a .05 reticle in it because I'll rarely be below 10x and that's about the right thickness for me. Precisely why I sold my S&B 3-20 because the reticle was too thin on 3-4X. It took me owning the scope for a while to realize I needed a thicker reticle in that mag range.

IIRC, the LRTSi reticles are .06 thick, which is one of the reasons I have one on my hunting rifle. I can see it during legal shooting hours without needing to turn the illum on.

John

.05mil is thicker than what most reticles are, most reticles of similar design are around .03mil, the APRS1 in the ETR 4.5-30 is .03mil.
The Vortex PST 3-15 with the EBR-7c has lines that are .03mil and throughout the whole mag range I feel as though they could be thicker, the EBR-1 reticle in the Gen1 PST 2.5-10x32 is .06mil which I find is well sized for a 2.5-10 scope.

I think that .05mil would probably be a good size for a scope in the 3-18 range.
The reticle in the Helos 2-12x42 has stadia lines that are .08mil and a centre dot that is .3mil thich, which may end up being a little thick on the top end of magnification but should lend itself well throughout the rest of the mag range. Looking at the rest of the reticle and scope features it's clearly designed to be useable at low magnification setting for hunting purposes.

It's nice to see that Athlon is putting a fair bit of thought into what the actual use of their products will be and putting fit for purpose reticles in them.

Dont like the reticle. The circle makes precise windage holds more difficult and is not needed it they would make the post bolder and bring them in to 5 mils from center.

John

My task for this scope is primarily a point and shoot hunting scope, a 300 yarder on low-ish magnification/large FOV. So the thicker reticle and circle/COD I see as really neat for that purpose. BTW I loved the COD in the Bushy LRHS.
Next is for quick holdovers out to 3 mils, and at those distances holdoffs won't be much, but it's FFP so a mil is a mil, thus my gripe with SFP. I won't be using this on small critters/PD's or small steel/1 moa, and also don't think I'll be off more than .2 mil holdoff error which is 3.6" at 500Y. Or imagining the COD getting in the way because 2 mils holdoff means it's super windy or in other words I'll be at home if at all possible.
Next is I can always dial windage or elevation, mostly elevation if it's getting way out there. Because the COD is open on the sides there's nothing to obscure windage if elevation is dialed.

But I/we have got other rifles with scopes and reticles on them which are better suited for way out there.
If I were to guess, these are some of the main reasons people would use this scope for. #1 being to see the reticle easy on low magnification with the COD.

I can respect if someone doesn't like it. Heck I don't like 97% of the reticles out there.

.05mil is thicker than what most reticles are, most reticles of similar design are around .03mil, the APRS1 in the ETR 4.5-30 is .03mil.
The Vortex PST 3-15 with the EBR-7c has lines that are .03mil and throughout the whole mag range I feel as though they could be thicker, the EBR-1 reticle in the Gen1 PST 2.5-10x32 is .06mil which I find is well sized for a 2.5-10 scope.

I think that .05mil would probably be a good size for a scope in the 3-18 range.
The reticle in the Helos 2-12x42 has stadia lines that are .08mil and a centre dot that is .3mil thich, which may end up being a little thick on the top end of magnification but should lend itself well throughout the rest of the mag range. Looking at the rest of the reticle and scope features it's clearly designed to be useable at low magnification setting for hunting purposes.

It's nice to see that Athlon is putting a fair bit of thought into what the actual use of their products will be and putting fit for purpose reticles in them.

I'm usually using between 12 and 16x in matches and sometimes it's hard to see those fine .03 thick mil reticles for me, especially against dark backgrounds like the cinder pits we have NRL22 matches in.

Sure on 25x-30X they look great, and I prefer to use higher magnification when I can.

But I've never missed or felt like a .05 mil thick reticle was ever a hindrance.

John
I don't see how the windage holds are affected by the circle? It's not a full circle, it's a quadrant so the circle never interferes with the stadia lines? The circle is more beneficial at low mags to better identify center and more easily track moving targets. The reason it is called the "circle of death" is because it roughly estimates the kill zone of quite a few north American large game.

Like Steve mentioned above, there are lots of different scopes with lots of different reticles to give us options. Not everyone is going to like certain reticles (there are many that I do not) and that's okay.

Two things keep me from the Ares 3-18 - made in China and over 34oz. Doubtful a Cronus 3-18 would come in any lighter, but we can hope...

I don't see how the windage holds are affected by the circle? It's not a full circle, it's a quadrant so the circle never interferes with the stadia lines? The circle is more beneficial at low mags to better identify center and more easily track moving targets. The reason it is called the "circle of death" is because it roughly estimates the kill zone of quite a few north American large game.

Like Steve mentioned above, there are lots of different scopes with lots of different reticles to give us options. Not everyone is going to like certain reticles (there are many that I do not) and that's okay.

Two things keep me from the Ares 3-18 - made in China and over 34oz. Doubtful a Cronus 3-18 would come in any lighter, but we can hope...

I think I did a pretty poor job of describing what I don’t like about it. It’s not as much the circle as it is having no wind or elevation references close to the floating dot. For me, makes it more difficult to have a precise hold for something like .2 or .3 mils of wind. If the reference marks started .5 mils from the dot, that would be a little better. Not a fan of the circle either simply because I think you could bring the post in to 5 mils from center, accomplish the same thing as the circle, still have a ton of room for windage holds, and keep the center of the picture cleaner. of course, not everyone likes what I like and vice versa.

John

I think I did a pretty poor job of describing what I don’t like about it. It’s not as much the circle as it is having no wind or elevation references close to the floating dot. For me, makes it more difficult to have a precise hold for something like .2 or .3 mils of wind. If the reference marks started .5 mils from the dot, that would be a little better. Not a fan of the circle either simply because I think you could bring the post in to 5 mils from center, accomplish the same thing as the circle, still have a ton of room for windage holds, and keep the center of the picture cleaner. of course, not everyone likes what I like and vice versa.

John
That is one of the areas of improvement I see in this reticle as well with the horizontal stadia starting so far from the dot, like you I prefer about .2 mil away from the dot, this looks to be half mil.

John
You do a lot of .2 wind holds while hunting?

Reactions: beetroot
You do a lot of .2 wind holds while hunting?

This, the reticle in question is designed very much for hunting with the intention of mostly being used at magnification ranges where .2mil is a moot point.

The APRS6 reticle in the 4-20x50 Helos allows for .2mil holds from centre, has enough magnification that .2mil holds are actually likely to be the norm but should be thick enough to be visible.

If you wont the APRS6 reticle in the 2-12x42, well I guess you are just shit outa luck.

That is one of the areas of improvement I see in this reticle as well with the horizontal stadia starting so far from the dot, like you I prefer about .2 mil away from the dot, this looks to be half mil.

I thought it looked like a full mill looking at the reticle. According to the labeling on the vertical stadia it appears the dot has 1 mil of open all the way around.

I thought it looked like a full mill looking at the reticle. According to the labeling on the vertical stadia it appears the dot has 1 mil of open all the way around.
Looking more closely I see that now. I understand wanting to leave the center open, but would prefer at least small dots for reference.

Reactions: Hondo64d
ETR 1-10 FFP, mil/mil with locking turrets.

Looks like a nice poor man's Razor Gen 3 for a 300BLK bush hunting rifle.

The 2-12x42 also looks decent for the price.

Reactions: YotaEer
I missed that new Helos 4-20x50, 24.9oz 13.3" long, same thick(ish) reticle as the ETR.
I'm guessing based on price the Helos range wont be fantastic glass, but the specs look great!

Man, the new Helos really checks all the boxes, especially coming in under 25oz: locking turrets, zero stop, illuminated floating dot. With .05 line thickness and .2 stadia every which way it’ll be easy to see at lower mag. Maybe they’ll pull off a Christmas miracle and deliver above-price-point glass that‘s still usable at 20x.

Man, the new Helos really checks all the boxes, especially coming in under 25oz: locking turrets, zero stop, illuminated floating dot. With .05 line thickness and .2 stadia every which way it’ll be easy to see at lower mag. Maybe they’ll pull off a Christmas miracle and deliver above-price-point glass that‘s still usable at 20x.

My thoughts exactly. Looks like a perfect fit for my next rimfire hunting/crossover project.

Check out the """entire""" line of Helos Gen2 scopes with new reticles.
Of special interest to me is the 2-12x42 compact DMR/hunting scope! It's FFP with a thicker reticle/AHMR2 and a semi circle of death!!! Even has locking turrets, zero stop, Illume, and 10Y focus! 11.6" long and 22oz!
So I cannot find anything like this scope, the 2-12x42, (from other mfr's), would prefer they would have offered it in their Cronus line or even Ares (for better glass) but if anyone has info on how the Helos line compares with other scopes I'd be curious, seems like their "lower end" line in price and one would assume glass/IQ/build follows suit. A shame because I love the FFP AHMR2 BDC reticle, I wish more manufacturers would look into something like this and realize the benefit of FFP even with BDC.

1608769984590.png

Reactions: Eric_F
So I cannot find anything like this scope, the 2-12x42, (from other mfr's), would prefer they would have offered it in their Cronus line or even Ares (for better glass) but if anyone has info on how the Helos line compares with other scopes I'd be curious, seems like their "lower end" line in price and one would assume glass/IQ/build follows suit. A shame because I love the FFP AHMR2 BDC reticle, I wish more manufacturers would look into something like this and realize the benefit of FFP even with BDC.

View attachment 7510139

Be careful talking up 2-12 scopes or other MVPOs (medium power variables) as you'll get told repeatedly that you are an idiot and LVPOs are the future.

I'm pretty sure the MIL version of that reticle is a normal tree not BDC.
I too have be wanting a scope exactly like this and my only concerns are that the Helos line may be a bit too "cheap".

Regardless I'm fairly tempted to buy one and see what it's like, as you said there is nothing out there that competes (VX6 2-12 was close).
Will likely try the 4-20 too as that also sounds excellent, with the same caveat of a "low end" scope.

Beet, I’m a huge mil proponent but for something fast I am leaning toward BDC even though it’s not perfect, if I zero for distance it will hopefully be close at closer in. Why there is no BDC mil reticles I don’t know as I’d prefer that.

I try not to worry too much about what others think, we all have our preferences and bias’. If someone prefers one scope over another I am completely fine with that, I try to understand why they might choose what they did and decide if that’s something that will work for my intended purpose. Different strokes for different folks and I try to keep an open mind as I might learn something in the process.

I still have my old original Cronus I bought when Athlon first came on the scene. I have the mushy turret model, but that scope still punches above it's weight class with regards to optical performance in my opinion. I won't touch any of their Chinesium shit (FUCK CHINA!!!), but a LOW Japanese made 3-18 with the new steel turrets and something in the 25 ounce range would be great.

View attachment 7510139

Bill, "I think??" this Helos 2-12 is an experiment by Athlon to see how well it sells or not. Many of us see the niche a scope like this can fill and I'm very excited to try it because it is unique in the market! If it sells decently I'm pretty confident a higher grade scope like this will be in the works. If you haven't tried the Midas TAC 6-24x50 yet you should try to fiddle with a friends TAC some time or order one to try then sell it if it doesn't impress. I think you will be strongly impressed with it for the price. I mention this because this Helos will hopefully be close to the Midas TAC??????

A fair amount of the ideas behind this scope were my suggestions so in a way "we" were heard by Athlon. We've been hankering for years for the form factor this scope offers.
I did ask for "great glass" which would mean Cronus line so maybe next year if sales are good something could come of it.
It could be a tad lighter but it has all those features crammed into it so .....

I will say that the glass in the Argos BTR line isn't bad, especially on 12x. I guess we won't know how well this 2-12 will be until we try it.

I know it doesn't make a huge difference between BDC along with sight in distance tuning, vs a FFP in mil or moa hash reticle inside 500Y, BUT I still dislike BDC. Like you said, to each their own, but who knows maybe next year additional reticle offerings could occur. I think this scope would sell well to the PRS or NRL types for hunting or general AR stuff, those who are accustomed to and adept at quick holds.

Only 2 LPVO's in my stable, both on AR's, and honestly I rarely use 1x, even in 3 gun comps, so with that in mind this 2-12 has a lot of pluses to it. I think I'll sell one and buy one of these 2-12's, actually two because I need one for my CZ527, go from there.

Last edited:
I'm thinking I may buy both. Have two 300BLK, a 16" and a 12.5" that I want to change the scopes on. Will get the Ares ETR 1-10 first. Will call Doug after I sell the current scopes.

Reactions: gr8fuldoug
Bill, "I think??" this Helos 2-12 is an experiment by Athlon to see how well it sells or not. Many of us see the niche a scope like this can fill and I'm very excited to try it because it is unique in the market! If it sells decently I'm pretty confident a higher grade scope like this will be in the works. If you haven't tried the Midas TAC 6-24x50 yet you should try to fiddle with a friends TAC some time or order one to try then sell it if it doesn't impress. I think you will be strongly impressed with it for the price. I mention this because this Helos will hopefully be close to the Midas TAC??????

A fair amount of the ideas behind this scope were my suggestions so in a way "we" were heard by Athlon. We've been hankering for years for the form factor this scope offers.
I did ask for "great glass" which would mean Cronus line so maybe next year if sales are good something could come of it.
It could be a tad lighter but it has all those features crammed into it so .....

I will say that the glass in the Argos BTR line isn't bad, especially on 12x. I guess we won't know how well this 2-12 will be until we try it.

I know it doesn't make a huge difference between BDC along with sight in distance tuning, vs a FFP in mil or moa hash reticle inside 500Y, BUT I still dislike BDC. Like you said, to each their own, but who knows maybe next year additional reticle offerings could occur. I think this scope would sell well to the PRS or NRL types for hunting or general AR stuff, those who are accustomed to and adept at quick holds.

Only 2 LPVO's in my stable, both on AR's, and honestly I rarely use 1x, even in 3 gun comps, so with that in mind this 2-12 has a lot of pluses to it. I think I'll sell one and buy one of these 2-12's, actually two because I need one for my CZ527, go from there.
Thanks Steve, glad to hear Athlon is listening. Right now the scope is too far down the list (Of Athlon’s lineup) and I’m somewhat averse to buying anything made in China right now so will keep my eye on this one and hope a Japanese or Philippines scope pops up from someone. Doubt we’ll see anything from Europe as they seem to be even further removed from this niche than anyone else. Definitely something to keep my eye on and hope others follow suit.

Best guess on the street price of the 2-12 when it comes out? I know a guy, that may be interested in one...or two.

Best guess on the street price of the 2-12 when it comes out? I know a guy, that may be interested in one...or two.

Best option would be to call Doug at Cameraland and say your are from the Hide for a price. I'm going to guess $500-$550?

I do!

I do!

What do you think of it so far? I went and read your whole review. Seems like you're quite impressed.

I am on the list for the 4-20 Helos but haven't heard when exactly they are coming to town.

Anyone get their hands on a 4-20 yet?

Last edited:
Reactions: YotaEer
What do you think of it so far? I went and read your whole review. Seems like you're quite impressed.

I am on the list for the 4-20 Helos but haven't heard when exactly they are coming to town.

Anyone get their hands on a 4-20 yet?

I used it this weekend in a Pistol Field Target airgun event. I loved it! Zero complaints. I need at least one more, maybe two.

Here's the PCP air Pifle I used.
20210307_084005.jpg
20210225_143920.jpg

Same scope on a AGT Vulcan 2 PCP air rifle.
20210225_140128.jpg

Athlon Ares BTR G2 4.5-27x50 for comparison.

Last edited: