• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision New atn thor scopes .

jdh4376

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2011
Americus,GA
Ok I know to stay away from atn nightvision,but those options ,and price on the thor thermals is making it tempting .Does anyone have any first hand experiance yet ? Thinking of using it as a viewer I just like having the option of shooting with it to.

Re: New atn thor scopes .

Hate to be an idiot but what is the issue with ATN? Saw the scopes at Shot show and thought they were pretty incredible especially for the price point. Guy at the ATN booth thought I was nuts as I was scanning the crowd wwith the scope on the M4 and making "bang" noises at the walking targets. Ok so I am a loon.

Captain. Easy... Just having a little fun. I do not think the unloaded AIRSOFT gun was going to Destroy anyone.

If you really want to see the quality of a thermal unit need a good heat signature. Guess what there were 20,000 heat signatures walking around. Gets a little boring looking at the roof and lights hanging from the ceiling all the time. Also with the amount of movment it was interesting to watch the refresh rate of the unit which was actually outstanding at 60hz.

I have been waiting for someone to get of of these new atn thermals to test out myself. The price is sure good and I like the looks of the housing. I was told it would be a FLIR core inside.

I like the fact it has different color reticals ,and I got quoted a heck of a price on one.And also was told they had flir engines in them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Optics Planet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Heres a little video that I did with ATN when we were at their booth at SHOT. Most of it is on the new THOR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUn2Ip_lNnM

Trevor B. </div></div>

What's the latest on the availability,specifically the 320-2x model?

Holy crap....that actually looked great. The price point on those put thermal within a normal persons range as well.

Might have to check that Thor out. Of course with stuff like that its all about durability. Can it take a licking and keep on ticking?

I have heard rumors saying it will be out as early as Mid may through August. When I played around with it i was impressed. Its a nice unit with 'cool' features and is VERY useable. They also rated it to a 50 BMG! I asked again, and they confirmed to me again; tested on a 50 BMG.

Trevor B.

I have a request in for one to T&E. There are so many instances outside of an actual sniper shot where this unit would be amazingly useful. SAR and fleeing felons in wooded areas are two where I would love small, compact thermal capability.

The new mini Thor 2X looks really cool to me and price point makes me think I can could save and afford to own a thermal scope for the first time ever.I had a chance to use a Scorpion 320x240 thermal scope one night it was pretty wicked but over $10,000 so out of my price range.One issue I did have that night that I never really thought about with a thermal scope is we were firing at a hog had the crossarrows dead on him but the bullets were missing him. After firing several times I looked through my psv-14 and saw tons of heavy brush in the bullet path with the thermal you never saw the brush it was like it wasn't even there.One of the great things is the thermal image is nice and bright all the time no need to use IR even in pitch dark rural heavy timber.

What I am excited about is the resolution of Thermal is getting better and better. In the video posted you can almost make out facial features well enough to ID. That is the point that Thermal will make the jump to LE Snipers.

Units I have used in the past just have not been good enough. Sure I can ID a threat with it, but I need to ID faces as well.

Right you are. Due to such high liability, and in order to meet the force continuum, it is so important for facial recognition in the LEO world. As we see higher speed and higher resolution , the ability gets better.
Now, if they could just get rid of that pesky "seeing through glass" issue.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What I am excited about is the resolution of Thermal is getting better and better. In the video posted you can almost make out facial features well enough to ID. That is the point that Thermal will make the jump to LE Snipers.

Units I have used in the past just have not been good enough. Sure I can ID a threat with it, but I need to ID faces as well. </div></div>

Are you able to mount these behind a day scope?

The 1x looks great, and I would rather not pay a buttload more for magnification when I have a Leupold that I could put it behind, just as I do my PVS-14.

I do think this looks way secksee.

Next question: is this risking the "buy cheap buy twice" pitfall? It looks awesome, but is the price too good to be true?