• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New B-14R CF Barrel in MDT XRS chassis review

The Good The Bad and The Ugly. I'll start with Ugly.

The Ugly, I have decided I am nothing more than a gun whore. I have loved so many over the years but when something new comes along I throw the old ones to the side.

The Bergara Bad, my magazine broke somewhere around the 20th to 30th shot. It did greatly affect feeding by not holding the round in place mostly on the 5th shot. I have never seen nor heard of one breaking like this. I know Bergara will replace it. This did not affect the accuracy because I learned how the bolt needed to be worked, learned on CCI SV. From here we will start with photos with dialog.

You can see the broken section on the left side where the bullet rim is held in place.
IMG_20201009_161606.jpg

I found the broken piece laying on the table.
IMG_20201009_161610.jpg

This is how the ammo was sitting. The rounds were barely held in.
IMG_20201009_163030.jpg

When I inserted a the mag I had to hold my finger in the port to keep the round in place. If I worked the bolt to fast rearward the round on top would tip up. Here's three examples of what I experienced.
IMG_20201009_163514.jpg
IMG_20201009_161943.jpg
IMG_20201009_165901.jpg

The MDT XRS Bad. I cannot understand why MDT decided to use both standard and metric size bolts. The bolts that hold the grip on is 3/32", the bolts that holds the buttplate on is 4mm. The two action screws are 3/16"! Why?? That's not really a bad thing I guess but irritating somewhat.

The Elf Trigger Bad. It's the safety lever again. I have one extra "short" lever that Elftmann sent for the 1st Elf trigger. With the short lever the action will not fit in the chassis. When I put the original lever on it hit the bolt shroud just like the first one did. I ended up removing the lever knob because the screw holding it on is what was hitting the shroud. Unless Elftmann has changed this it will be a problem for anyone wanting to use the Elftmann 700 on their B-14R. Without the knob the safety is still easily reached and moved. It's not a problem.

Short trigger. Clears the bolt shroud but not the chassis.
IMG_20200930_132312.jpg

Here is the other lever that someone would receive with the trigger. You can see where it hits the shroud and the lack of clearance.
IMG_20201009_154337.jpg

IMG_20201009_154346.jpg

This is how it looks. Not bad really. It's not a problem for me to not have the knob there.
IMG_20201009_172053.jpg

I'll have to finish this up in another post as I have reached my limit of 10 photos. The next post will be all Good. If anyone reads this before the next post, I would ask that you not reply until the next post is finished.

Reactions: Masojoh
The Good.

I have never been one to toot my own horn but quick to talk shit about something I have if it under performs. Having said that; let me say that the performance of THIS B-14R is like night and day compared to my first one. The accuracy and consistency of this CF barreled version is amazing "to me". The smoothness of the bolt is just like the first one. It has the same controlled round feeding. The magazine works great in the MDT XRS. It locks up solid and have next to no play front to back however there is some side play but it seems to not affect anything. The mag release is easy to manipulate and when you learn how far to push, the mag will drop free. I also like how the B-14R mag looks from the side next to the mag release. I was impressed with the chassis and glad I went with it and would highly recommend it for the B-14R.

Now to the photos.

I love the overall look of the rifle. Seems like all the black components are very close to the same shade of black. I have named it...Black Beauty. :love:
IMG_20201009_172029.jpg

The three ammo tested in order was SK Rifle Match, SK Biathlon Sport and Lapua Center-X. No cleaning or fouling shots were taken at any time.
IMG_20201009_172021.jpg

Here I'm trying to show the barrel channel and how much room there is.
IMG_20201009_172040.jpg

I wanted to show a couple of closeups of the rings with reducers. These are UTG PRO 34mm rings. The screws are all 25 Torx. The base screws are spring loaded. I have 34mm to 30mm reducers to enable them to work with this scope. Unless I need a classy look on a wood rifle these are all I get from now on. Or unless I need the Burris Signature rings with the offset inserts. These rings have been on several rifles and held several scopes. They still work perfect. Just goes to show you don't have to spend an ungodly amount of money for rings. BTW, the rings and reducers are made in the USA.
IMG_20201009_172445.jpg
IMG_20201009_172455.jpg

Here's the mag release. I like how it comes down pretty much even with the bottom of the mag. Just makes for a nice look to me. I also prefer the vertical grip and straight trigger shoe.
IMG_20201009_172536.jpg

The best groups of the day belonged to Center-X. But not by much. This is probably the best target I have ever shot when you take into account the overall group size. That circle is 1/2" outside diameter. 49 out of 50 shots hit that circle. I really didn't know if I was wasting my money on this rifle but I am so happy I got it. It's also worth noting that this was the 3rd ammo shot. Notice the very first group at top left. That's tied for my smallest group ever. The 3rd group almost did it but on shot was out and I don't remember which shot it was. I have two bricks of this ammo left.
B-14RCF Lapua Center-X 10-8-20.jpg

Next best is the SK Rifle Match. This ammo was shot first. The first group was a little larger than most of the others. It's possible it did take 5 shots to settle down somewhat after shooting the CCI SV. There's at least 3, possibly 4 out of 50 shots not touching the circle. Keep in mind, I'm still shooting for groups/precision it just so happened to be hitting center. I have eight bricks of the ammo.
B-14RCF SK Rifle Match 10-8-20.jpg

SK Biathlon Sport was shot 2nd and came in 3rd place. Funny thing is I shot a 10 for 10. For those of you that don't know it's a measurement or value of how I grade the target. In this case it means I shot ten 5-shots groups that were all 1/2" or less. Again, it may have taken 5 shots to settle down...honestly it's still hard for me to accept that but it is what it is. The 2nd group was phenomenal also. This is the first rifle that has given me two groups this size. This ammo shot a little to the right for whatever reason. I have a case of this ammo coming.
B-14RCF SK Biathlon Sport 10-8-20.jpg

Here is my backyard range. The distance down there is 55 yards. The far right target group is KYL.
IMG_20201009_172112.jpg

To wrap this up, this rifle is the most accurate rifle I have fired. Trust me, I am so happy to be able to say that, after the let down I had with my first B-14R. Also, this being a carbon fiber barrel should put to rest the saying that a carbon fiber barrel can't be as accurate as a steel one. Almost forgot, FWIW, I looked at the barrel with my Lyman borescope when I first got it. It looked perfect with zero machine marks. I guess that's really not unusual as my Anschutz looked the same, I just wanted to mention it. Thanks for reading, comments or feedback is welcome. Next I will shoot the same ammo, same order but with my Silencerco Sparrow.

Glad you are pleased with the new rifle! Look forward to further posts, testing.

Both of the bergaras I have will shoot right with my vudoo if I out center x in all 3 of them. My steel version has been exceptional. My carbon fiber sid not shoot as good til I out a hellfire break on it.

Thank you for the review about the elfmann trigger on b14r.shootss that was bad i have one on standby for my b14r is not install yet just send my action/barrel to my gunsmith for rebarrel a new shilen ratchet blank.hope mind will work out on grayboe ridgeback stock.
here is the old picture when she just arrive and got taken away from my dealer to mee. just showing the trigger for b14r/scope

Attachments

• DSC02247.JPG
    DSC02247.JPG
    747.1 KB · Views: 109
  • DSC02246.JPG
    DSC02246.JPG
    740.9 KB · Views: 150
KOD, What did you use for action screws?

Nakoa01, glad to hear of others who bought a CF barreled version when they already had the steel barreled. I have never shot or even held a Vudoo but I can't imagine one shooting any better. At least in my hands that is.

Baracuda22, the Elf 700 will still work great. But if yours has the button head screw like mine shown in the photos it will hit the bolt shroud. The way I see it you have four options, 1. don't use the trigger 2. use the trigger without the safety lever 3. make bends in the arm to allow it to clear the bolt shroud and still fit the Grayboe and 4. do like I did and just remove the button head screw and knob. I still highly recommend the Elf trigger. I have an Elf 700 in both my B-14R's and a Bix TacSport PRO on the shelf. I'll let that speak for itself. I was originally leaning towards the Grayboe until I found out mine didn't come with the DBM. I like how yours looks. Looking forward to hear how your Shilen Ratchet barrel does. That's what Mark Penrod is putting in mine.

vaguru, I used 20 in/lbs as I normally do. That us unless you are actually referring to the screws; in that case the XRS chassis has captured action screws. I like that feature, I'm always dropping those things out of the stock/chassis.

Reactions: nakoa01
Baracuda22, the Elf 700 will still work great. But if yours has the button head screw like mine shown in the photos it will hit the bolt shroud. The way I see it you have four options, 1. don't use the trigger 2. use the trigger without the safety lever 3. make bends in the arm to allow it to clear the bolt shroud and still fit the Grayboe and 4. do like I did and just remove the button head screw and knob. I still highly recommend the Elf trigger. I have an Elf 700 in both my B-14R's and a Bix TacSport PRO on the shelf. I'll let that speak for itself. I was originally leaning towards the Grayboe until I found out mine didn't come with the DBM. I like how yours looks. Looking forward to hear how your Shilen Ratchet barrel does. That's what Mark Penrod is putting in mine.

Sir! KOD,Thank you I like the MDT xrs looks good but I am an old skoll,so i went back to classic/traditional stock complete fell. I think 1/2 stock 1/2 chssis is not for me.I WILL GO #4 OPTION. This was on sale when i bought mine grayboe you buy the stock and free grayboe DBM.= save $150 for the metal dbm.

Last edited:
Great review KOD, that things a shooter to, glad to see the carbon barrel doing that well, whats the actual factory retail price on those ?

The Good.

I have never been one to toot my own horn but quick to talk shit about something I have if it under performs. Having said that; let me say that the performance of THIS B-14R is like night and day compared to my first one. The accuracy and consistency of this CF barreled version is amazing "to me". The smoothness of the bolt is just like the first one. It has the same controlled round feeding. The magazine works great in the MDT XRS. It locks up solid and have next to no play front to back however there is some side play but it seems to not affect anything. The mag release is easy to manipulate and when you learn how far to push, the mag will drop free. I also like how the B-14R mag looks from the side next to the mag release. I was impressed with the chassis and glad I went with it and would highly recommend it for the B-14R.

Now to the photos.

I love the overall look of the rifle. Seems like all the black components are very close to the same shade of black. I have named it...Black Beauty. :love:
View attachment 7442456

The three ammo tested in order was SK Rifle Match, SK Biathlon Sport and Lapua Center-X. No cleaning or fouling shots were taken at any time.
View attachment 7442457

Here I'm trying to show the barrel channel and how much room there is.
View attachment 7442458

I wanted to show a couple of closeups of the rings with reducers. These are UTG PRO 34mm rings. The screws are all 25 Torx. The base screws are spring loaded. I have 34mm to 30mm reducers to enable them to work with this scope. Unless I need a classy look on a wood rifle these are all I get from now on. Or unless I need the Burris Signature rings with the offset inserts. These rings have been on several rifles and held several scopes. They still work perfect. Just goes to show you don't have to spend an ungodly amount of money for rings. BTW, the rings and reducers are made in the USA.
View attachment 7442459View attachment 7442460

Here's the mag release. I like how it comes down pretty much even with the bottom of the mag. Just makes for a nice look to me. I also prefer the vertical grip and straight trigger shoe.
View attachment 7442461

The best groups of the day belonged to Center-X. But not by much. This is probably the best target I have ever shot when you take into account the overall group size. That circle is 1/2" outside diameter. 49 out of 50 shots hit that circle. I really didn't know if I was wasting my money on this rifle but I am so happy I got it. It's also worth noting that this was the 3rd ammo shot. Notice the very first group at top left. That's tied for my smallest group ever. The 3rd group almost did it but on shot was out and I don't remember which shot it was. I have two bricks of this ammo left.
View attachment 7442462

Next best is the SK Rifle Match. This ammo was shot first. The first group was a little larger than most of the others. It's possible it did take 5 shots to settle down somewhat after shooting the CCI SV. There's at least 3, possibly 4 out of 50 shots not touching the circle. Keep in mind, I'm still shooting for groups/precision it just so happened to be hitting center. I have eight bricks of the ammo.
View attachment 7442463

SK Biathlon Sport was shot 2nd and came in 3rd place. Funny thing is I shot a 10 for 10. For those of you that don't know it's a measurement or value of how I grade the target. In this case it means I shot ten 5-shots groups that were all 1/2" or less. Again, it may have taken 5 shots to settle down...honestly it's still hard for me to accept that but it is what it is. The 2nd group was phenomenal also. This is the first rifle that has given me two groups this size. This ammo shot a little to the right for whatever reason. I have a case of this ammo coming.
View attachment 7442464

Here is my backyard range. The distance down there is 55 yards. The far right target group is KYL.
View attachment 7442465

To wrap this up, this rifle is the most accurate rifle I have fired. Trust me, I am so happy to be able to say that, after the let down I had with my first B-14R. Also, this being a carbon fiber barrel should put to rest the saying that a carbon fiber barrel can't be as accurate as a steel one. Almost forgot, FWIW, I looked at the barrel with my Lyman borescope when I first got it. It looked perfect with zero machine marks. I guess that's really not unusual as my Anschutz looked the same, I just wanted to mention it. Thanks for reading, comments or feedback is welcome. Next I will shoot the same ammo, same order but with my Silencerco Sparrow.
My carbon gun outshoots my steel barreled one pretty easily.

I found that my B14R CF likes SK Long Range Match the best, it did very well with CCI SV at 50 but it dropped way off at 100 yds and beyond. The SK LRM does well out to 400 yds! 1 MOA or less.

Baracuda22, that's a great deal getting the Grayboe DBM for free.

Thanks rim-star.

melglass, good to hear another with both barrels.

I have to eat some crow about this rifle shooting the best. Seems like everyone is using calipers or some ballistic program to measure their groups. So I, re-measured these B-14R groups as well as some other targets shot with other rifles with my calipers. There's a few that have a better avg. I'm on my laptop now and will repost the targets later. I'm still very happy with the performance of the CF version.

I found that my B14R CF likes SK Long Range Match the best, it did very well with CCI SV at 50 but it dropped way off at 100 yds and beyond. The SK LRM does well out to 400 yds! 1 MOA or less.
I haven't tried the Long Range ammo. I bought a case of the Biathlon Sport a few days ago. That particular lot shoots really good in a few rifles I have.

Just a thought on the Elftman trigger issue. Countersink the screw side of the safety arm and use a "low profile" flat head screw. I'm assuming its a 4x40 or something small like that, so the low profile screw should all but disappear into the safety arm.
There are also low profile pan heads as well which wouldn't require any modification to the arm, but might still not be thin enough to clear.
Edit-realized I called both types of screws i was thinking of "flat head".

Last edited:
vaguru, I used 20 in/lbs as I normally do. That us unless you are actually referring to the screws; in that case the XRS chassis has captured action screws. I like that feature, I'm always dropping those things out of the stock/chassis.

Yes, I was referring to the actual screws. I wasn't sure the B 14R used 1/4-28 action screws as I hadn't checked mine.

Looks great!
So glad to see this whole combo functioning well.
Barreled Actions are just starting to show up here in Canada. I was all in for steel barrel but your post has me on the fence now KOD.
Hoping to find some deals on things, maybe Black Friday I can start piecing things together.
Then once my PAL (Firarms license) comes through I can grab the Barreled Action.

Vodak, that's exactly what Elftmann did with the other trigger I have on my steel barreled b-14R. I don't know how the Elf 700 SE triggers are being shipped now but hopefully that's how a new one would come. I looked around my shop and I didn't find a screw so I left my knob off. I don't have a photo of the modified Elf but it's the same as this Bix trigger shown below. If anyone is reading this and is confused, I am showing the flat head screw facing you that holds the silver safety knob on the black safety arm.
IMG_20200428_012230.jpg

vaguru, the action screws are 3/16" Allen head.

GimpyGolden, not sure what to say lol. Hmm, I know, buy both. 😁

Below are the same three targets as shown above but with decimal measurements. I wanted to do this since no one seems to measure in fractions like I do. Also showing are the bullets hole size vs a set size of .221" on the calipers. As can be seen the .221" is actually a little larger than the residue marks on the paper. That leads me to believe that anyone who uses a bullet diameter size any larger than .221", their groups are not as small as they are measured to show. In all honesty maybe I should have used .220". Everything has a tolerance, for these measurements it is +/- .005". Final measurements can be seen at the top left. The -.221 is to remind myself the subtraction value.
B-14R CF Lapua Center-x 10-9-20 .319.jpg

On this target, the 9th bullseye shows a high shot. I'm 99% sure I aimed high, aimed at the center of the 3-shot cluster and resulted in a high shot. In all honesty that group would have been in the 3/8" range. Even with that it wouldn't have been quite as good as the Center-X above.
B-14R CF SK RM 10-9-20 .365.jpg
B-14R CF SK Biathlon Sport 10-9-20 .381.jpg

I had thought the above Lapua Center-X target was the best 10 five-shot group plate I had shot. But, that actually belongs to the Anschutz 1710 XLR shown below. I have hundreds of plates and there may be more that I have not measured. In the big picture this is like splitting hairs anyway, bottom line is the B-14R CF barreled version I have is very accurate by my standards. Maybe not to some of you but it is to me.

1710 XLR SK Biathlon Sport 10-5-20 .316.jpg

Here are some photos showing the bullet holes and size and examples of how I measured my groups. As I said above if anyone uses a number larger than .221" to subtract from their edge to edge group size they are not being honest with themselves. What I did was zeroed my calipers to -.221" and measured outside to outside edge the best I could. My calculations were already there. All the measurements you see have already taken into account a bullet diameter of .221".

IMG_20201010_165649.jpg
IMG_20201010_165915.jpg
IMG_20201010_170431.jpg
IMG_20201010_170556.jpg

The total dollar amount in this setup, including everything in this photo is $1,984.95. That even includes my transfer fee but does not include the trigger. Reason it doesn't is because Elftmann sent me a replacement and never asked for this one back. So, it was actually free since I only paid for one. Besides, a person doesn't have to buy a trigger to shoot the rifle like he would an optics package. Dollar amount for just the barreled action and chassis was exactly $1,117 and that does not include the transfer fee. So anyone can take it from there.

IMG_20201009_172409.jpg

Reactions: Masojoh and Vodak
How does the XRS compare to a Bravo?
How do your steel and CF barrels shoot with your suppressors? better or worse?

How does the XRS compare to a Bravo?
How do your steel and CF barrels shoot with your suppressors? better or worse?
They are both really similar in design and feel.

The XRS is roughly $150 more.

Starting from the buttstock both come with 3 spacers. The XRS has a much better spacer/LOP adjustment system over the Bravo because you don't have to remove the buttpad like the Bravo. KRG offers a buttpad replacement for the Bravo that is adjustable for height.

The Bravo has a better adjustable cheek riser "to me" because you only have to mess with one screw whereas the XRS has two. Not really a big deal but it is different.

Grip area, the Bravo has a vertical style grip and is a little larger in OD but the XRS comes with two grip sections, a slant and vertical and I like that.

The XRS forearm is a little longer and I can get the bipod out further than on a regular Bravo. I extended my Bravo with the KRG spigot mount.

The XRS has 3 M-LOK slots on the sides whereas the Bravo has two. The M-LOK attachments will attach to plastic on both. The bottom of the forearm on both have 5 M-LOK slots. The big difference between the two is on the Bravo you lock into plastic, on the XRS you lock into the aluminum chassis and to me that is a major difference.

The texture on the plastic forearm on the XRS where the M-LOK slots start is much more grippier than the rest of the plastic. The Bravo is the same all over and not near as grippy as the XRS forearm.

On the Bravo the front action screw is captured and the rear can fall free. The XRS has both captured.

Both will get the job done. I can see where the $150 more for the XRS might be worth it to some. I wanted the XRS because I already had two Bravos and wanted something different and the Bravo, I have heard sometimes has mag and feeding issues. I'm happy with the XRS and glad I went with it.

I have not shot the CF barrel version with my Sparrow. The steel barreled version shot worse suppressed. This is the only rimfire I have shot that shoots worse suppressed. I hope the CF barrel shoots as good both ways because I really want to use the suppressor when possible.

I talked with Hosea at Bergara today. The will be sending me another magazine but he said they had to come from Spain and it would be about a month before I get one. I found some in stock at DACK Outdoors for $27.99 + $7.99 flat rate shipping. Click on the link.

Thanks KOD! That's why I asked. I had read somewhere that some B-14-R CF barrels don't align properly with a suppressor. I've been thinking about one of these as a cheaper alternative to a Vudoo. Haven't seem many in the 6 x 5 thread to compare

The first thing I did when I inspected mine was check for gaps at both ends of the CF section. Mine is perfect. I don't know how it shoots suppressed at this time but will find out very soon, maybe today.

I'll be anxious to see how it shoots suppressed. I'd prefer the lighter CF version

Nice shooting and I’m glad this one is shooting better than your steel barrel gun.

But dang it you’re making me feel inadequate about the performance of my B14R! :ROFLMAO:

Nice shooting and I’m glad this one is shooting better than your steel barrel gun.

But dang it you’re making me feel inadequate about the performance of my B14R! :ROFLMAO:
Well, you can always buy the CF barreled version. I'm glad to hear I'm no the only one who has bought two. (y)

Tomiboy, I'm going to clean my Sparrow and shoot suppressed the first good day.

Now you have me thinking about the B14R. I just put my T1X is an Oryx stock and I absolutely adore it, but now I want a Bergara haha. How would you compare the two? Factory vs factory? Thanks!

Accuracy wise they are both pretty close with an edge going to the B-14R. The bolt and receiver on the B-14R is really what separates them. The B-14R is just a lot better in every respect except bolt throw. The T1x has a low throw. The Bergara HMR stock is much better than the T1x.

Are you saying it will shoot 4" or better at 400 yards?