• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New B&C A2 on Savage Model 10 FPSR and fliers

okangshooter

Private
Minuteman
Apr 27, 2011
Mounted my Model 10 FP in my new B&C A2 today and re zeroed. I had "ok" groups but with an occasional flier. Maybe 3/4". I was rock solid using two bags on a concrete bench and all were good well aimed shots. What was really disheartening was that when I switched to a 200 yard target, my 1st round was 3" high with 2 MOA of elevation. My next two then grouped within an inch of each other but 1" low. My buddy shot it also and his 1st round was also high but only 1.5" high. I checked the action bolts and they were tight, I had blue loctite on them.

Any ideas? I expected a lot better groups. I was shooting M852.

Re: New B&C A2 on Savage Model 10 FPSR and fliers

Pressure on the tang on the back of the reciever.
It should be free floated.

You mention loc-tite, not needed on action screws.
What did you torque the action screws to?

It doesn't if you have loctite or not.

I'm not sure for savage, but B&C reccomends 50 for medalist and Remington 700 actions.

what did you torque it to?

I do not have a torque wrench presently. I tightend them evenly and snuggly but not over tightened. I used loctite because i figured it couldnt hurt.

The tang on the back of the reciever.. you mean directly behind the bolt when it is closed? How can it be free floated if the reciever is snugged down in the stock? Does there need to be any glass bedding of the recoil lug?

I have an inch lb torque wrench at work I can get. Stocky recommends 30-40lbs?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okangshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do not have a torque wrench presently. I tightend them evenly and snuggly but not over tightened. I used loctite because i figured it couldnt hurt.

The tang on the back of the reciever.. you mean directly behind the bolt when it is closed? How can it be free floated if the reciever is snugged down in the stock? Does there need to be any glass bedding of the recoil lug?

I have an inch lb torque wrench at work I can get. Stocky recommends 30-40lbs? </div></div>

it recommends 50-60. the A2 has alum bedding that the bolts attach to. someone correct me if I'm wrong

30-40 is for fiberglass. you're bolting the action to the alum block

I should say also that I was easily able to knock down pigs and rams at 400 and 500 meters respectively and also hit a 12" x 8" plate at 640 yards repeatedly. I just want to solve the un explained fliers.

Just to clarify, 50 to 60 in lbs.

Yes, that tang on the back of the reciver needs to be free floated (not by much). It is a savage thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okangshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How is the rear tang floated? </div></div>

sand down the area under the tang. OR bed the rifle and raise the whole action that way. i bedded. i also saw that the rear tang had a burr on it so i took a file to that. but you should be able to slip a playing card, dollar bill or sheet of paper under there and not get stuck between the tang and stock

Ok, thank you. What effect does pressure there cause exactly?

I floated the rear tang so that there is no contact with the stock. I noticed that now the stock is able to roll slightly left and right before the action screws are tightened down. Is this normal?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okangshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I floated the rear tang so that there is no contact with the stock. I noticed that now the stock is able to roll slightly left and right before the action screws are tightened down. Is this normal? </div></div>

Yes that is normal. Make sure you have a hold of the barrel and are putting pressure on the recoil lug as you tighten the front action screw. Then install the rear action screw. If you every have problems feel free to PM me.

Good luck,
Merritt

now if its rolling, id have to look at it, but bedding will be the trick to cure that one. any pictures of the stock with the action out? i dont know if you have a full length block or V blocks or what.

It does not roll when the action tighten the action screws. I torqued them to 50 inch pounds. I will shoot it and update you all.

Shot it today. 1st group was loose as hell. Over and inch, second group tightened up to about an inch. Third group was a ragged 3/4 inch group with one flier 1 inch to the left. This was all with M852.

Not as tight as I'd like it. I'd like it to be 1/2 MOA. I've decided that i dont really care for the factory accutrigger. Mine certainly doesnt adjust down to the1.5lb they claim. I'd say more like 4 lbs.