• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report New Ballistics Program

EricStecker

Private
Minuteman
We are proud to announce that an easy to use ballistics program is available on our website. Please click on the link below to use or download this program.

http://www.bergerbullets.com/Ballistics%20Program/index.html

A special thank you to Bryan Litz for his efforts in producing this program. This is one more example of our efforts to enhance the shooting experience. More to come.

Regards,
Eric

Re: New Ballistics Program

That's a very useful program, accurate, yet simple and fast to set up. I appreciate Berger making that available, and Bryan for developing it.

It reminds me of Tony Burkes' TAB gear - everything you need, but nothing you don't.

If you might allow me to make a suggestion - resist the temptation to add features.

There are already many complex ballistic programs available, which are intimidating to new users.

What makes this program unique and valuable is its lack of complexity.

Eric isn't aware of the invaluable help that you guys here at the Hide provided me in developing this program. I want to thank everyone here who helped me work out the kinks in the beta version.

I am still open to suggestions, but as Lindy said, simplicity is a virtue.

-Bryan

encounters a problem and has to close after running..fyi

Brian,
You're over you're PM limit.
I talked to Eric a little bit about problems I was having with the JBM calculator and he said to talk to you, I stopped by the booth a couple of times at the Shot Show but you were busy, so here's my problem. I'm running a .300 Ultra Mag pushing 130gr. Barnes TTSX at 4100fps in a 17 twist barrel 104grs of RL25,I've even shot them out of a 19 twist but the program tells me a 15 twist is marginal and there's no way 17 will do it, yet I know a bunch of guys that are doing the same thing I am with great results. So I guess the question is why is the program off so far? I want to shoot the 140gr Berger hunting VLD's out of a 6.5X.338 Ultra Mag and should be able to get 3500fps no problem but it tells me a 9 twist even though you can stabilize a 140gr. out of a .260 Rem with a 9 twist so why isn't it taking into account the extra velocity?
I would think a 10 twist or maybe even a 11 twist.

Paul Tolvstad
Rock Creek Barrels

Paul,

Thanks for telling me my PM box was full. It's empty now, sorry for not being available.

Stability predictions are not as exact as trajectory predictions. The JBM stability calculator uses McGryo and the inputs required to describe the bullets are not all easy to come by.

I don't have any samples of the 130 grain Barnes TTSX's, how long are they?

Many people overestimate the stabilizing effect of velocity. It's true that the higher the muzzle velocity, the slower twist rate is required, but the relationship isn't as strong as you might think. It's certainly not enough to get away with a 1:11" using the 140 VLD's, at least not near sea level. That brings up another question: What altitude (above sea level) do you shoot at?

-Bryan

Brian,
I was thinking more towards a 10 twist, I will chamber up one 10 and a 11 and see what happens since I get barrels for the right price
wink.gif
and will let you know what happens. I will measure a .130 TTSX and let you know. We are at 800ft above sea level.

Paul