• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New barrel first time at range

creedmoor664

Private
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2019
Mounted my new 65 Creed Bartlein 9 to 8 gain twist barrel chambered by Greg at SPR on my rpr 6.5. Zero'd my scope with a few Factory rounds and then started load data with the new Hornady A-Tip 153. Shot 20 rounds then cleaned it shot 20 more and cleaned again. I also shot some 140 ELD match for comparison. First of all I am extremely impressed with the barrel. I can't thank Greg enough. I am an average shooter at best, but with this combination I'm shooting 5 shot groups without paper between the holes, as shown. I also changed to Peterson 6 .5 large primer pocket brass (new) part way through, so I'm not going to compare too much load data, I do know my RPR likes .020 off the lands and it likes ELD match 140gr about the same as A-Tip 153, but I had under powdered the Peterson brass at 40.5 -40.9 because of case volume difference and not wanting pressure problems because the velocities were in the 2600's. With Hornady brass and 42.1 to 42.6 gr's of H4350 the velocity was in the 2820s to 2840's and the groups were tight. Now that the barrel is partially broken in I'm going to try the A- tips against ELD M in the peterson once fired brass with better velocities and see whether it's worth the extra cash for the A-tip's. I'm sure others and compare the two and have some data to report.

Attachments

• 20200314_180447.jpg
    20200314_180447.jpg
    366.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 20200312_120943.jpg
    20200312_120943.jpg
    434 KB · Views: 59
  • 20200312_121156.jpg
    20200312_121156.jpg
    384.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 20200312_122401.jpg
    20200312_122401.jpg
    347.9 KB · Views: 54
Reactions: Fishbaum
glad you like it, and you’re happy, one question,

who spec’d you gain it’s backwards you should have went 8 towards 7 in a 6.5 not 9 it’s going the wrong way

but if your happy just know for future reference if you gain twist a barrel go from average twist to tighter, starting at 9 is a bit slow

glad you like it, and you’re happy, one question,

who spec’d you gain it’s backwards you should have went 8 towards 7 in a 6.5 not 9 it’s going the wrong way

but if your happy just know for future reference if you gain twist a barrel go from average twist to tighter

The recommendation for a 9 to 8 gain twist came from Greg at Springfield Precision rifles. I've also seen a few pretty decent shooters do the same with their new barrels. It's made a big difference in my groups, so to answer your question, I couldn't be happier if I were twins.....

I get it, I have close to 8 GT barrels, and have worked with Bartlein on them

it’s not taking advantage of the tech starting at 9 and going to 8, you want 8 to 7 in a 6.5 is the point, but since you have no answer, other than Greg said so, we’ll move on.

Reactions: 1moaoff
I get it, I have close to 8 GT barrels, and have worked with Bartlein on them

it’s not taking advantage of the tech starting at 9 and going to 8, you want 8 to 7 in a 6.5 is the point, but since you have no answer, other than Greg said so, we’ll move on.

Wow. I'm sure your advice is sound, and you are an expert in your field, but, I'm just an old beat-up Vietnam veteran with one eye, who switched from lefty to righty and I feel pretty darn good about the barrel and the way it shoots, so it really doesn't matter except I am thrilled with the barrel quality. lol

Last edited:
153 A-Tips?!?

I would not buy them for anything in 6.5 Creed. That seems too large for that caliber and they are just too expensive.

Stick to 140 ELD's.

I ran them at 2820-2830 and my barrel was smoked at 2k lol.

I would run them at 2750 and stick with it.

153 A-Tips?!?

I would not buy them for anything in 6.5 Creed. That seems too large for that caliber and they are just too expensive.

Stick to 140 ELD's.

I ran them at 2820-2830 and my barrel was smoked at 2k lol.

I would run them at 2750 and stick with it.

Thanks for the advice. I bought them because Buds Gun Shop had a box of hundred for $51. I've had good luck also with the 140 eld-m's.

Sounds like you've got a winner there! Have fun with that rig.

Thanks. I was shooting 1/2 moa at best before the Barrel change, and now, after the complete break-in, I expect 5 shot groups without paper between them consistently. I also replaced the stock with a Luth MBA-3 which got me a much more comfortable shooting position.

Try the 142 SMKs. I’ve had better luck with the Sierras over the Hornady. They seem to be more consistent too. Nice shooting with the new barrel.

Try the 142 SMKs. I’ve had better luck with the Sierras over the Hornady. They seem to be more consistent too. Nice shooting with the new barrel.

Thanks, I hope for even better results after a full break-in. It's funny you should mention that. I had loaded 25- 142 SMK's when I went to the range with the new barrel. They were at 41.2 to 41.7 with H4350 and results were very close to Horn ELD match. I live 1-1/2 hours from Sierra Bullets in Sedalia, MO, so I go get Blems at the outlet store for $13 lb. when available. The blems are just first run in the morning and I have found them very consistent in weight, length, and ogive. They start machines and run a few thousand before starting production, so those first go to the outlet store as Blem's. Next range trip I will be developing better load data to share.

Anyone shoot the S&B 140grs? Just bought 5 boxes because they were cheap. I've used S&B in my handguns and had no problems. Very clean, nicely packed ammo.

Anyone shoot the S&B 140grs? Just bought 5 boxes because they were cheap. I've used S&B in my handguns and had no problems. Very clean, nicely packed ammo.

I just took my new 6.5 CM to the range to break it in and used the S&B 140 grain ammo. I bought it for 12.50 per box, or around there. It shot pretty dang good out of my Criterion barrel on my TL3. Since I was just doing a break in, and will shoot PRIME for the season, I put a magnetospeed on it and recorded the first 80 rounds. Although it shot good groups, I only saw velocity averaging 2675 fps*. Also, those bullets are pretty blunt, so I wouldn't bet on fantastic long range BC.

That being said, for cheap practice ammo I think it is pretty solid. Also, it for real is some of the nicest packed ammo with those neat plastic holders in the box.

*everyone's barrels are different and mine could be slow, but the 130gr PRIME I chronographed came out at 2849fps for reference.

Nice. I bought 5 boxes at 10.95 online. Just wanted some cheaper ammo to hit the range with. The eldm 147s were pricey at $30 a box even the Hornady black at $20 was getting up there.

Nice. I bought 5 boxes at 10.95 online. Just wanted some cheaper ammo to hit the range with. The eldm 147s were pricey at $30 a box even the Hornady black at $20 was getting up there.

I have bought American gunner in 6.5 Creed at $38 for 50. Since I reload I don't buy Factory ammo anymore.

I don’t reload yet. No space in the house to right now.

I don’t reload yet. No space in the house to right now.

When you start I think it will be a game-changer for you. Not only much less $ but controlling your data adds to the accuracy ten fold. There will be disputes to that claim, but I believe weak ones.