• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing New barrel for lever action?

stello1001

Professional Newb
Minuteman
  • Feb 20, 2017
    Corpus Christi TX
    Hello all,

This may be a stupid topic but I'm genuinely curious. A long time ago, I decided I wanted a 3030 with a short barrel for hunting and using a suppressor. Many months later, I still lust over the idea of a 16 inch barrel suppressed lever action so with that said, I'm starting to look into it.

If I do end up buying one, I wanna have it done to my liking. I know a friend shoots 300 blackout (out of a bolt gun though) with a 7 twist and has no problem with either supers or subs. This makes his rifle a fun rifle to shoot with subs and his suppressor on it.

It got me thinking if any gunsmith that does regular barrel jobs for bolt guns can do a custom 7 twist for a lever action 3030. This would be an overall amazing and fun build if possible.

Load supers and go hunting for deer or pigs. Then load subs and have a shit load of fun shooting suppressed and trying to hit steel 200 plus yards.

Thoughts???

I'm sure you can find someone to do it, but I think by the time you are done paying for it you could buy two factory lever actions with threaded barrels.

Personally I wouldn't do a suppressed 30-30 lever action for subsonic. With a tubular mag you can only use flat or very rounded bullets and it may be hard to load and feed the heavies within OAL. Would be hard to find bullets designed to expand at those velocities.

Reactions: gnochi
    I'm sure you can find someone to do it, but I think by the time you are done paying for it you could buy two factory lever actions with threaded barrels.

Personally I wouldn't do a suppressed 30-30 lever action for subsonic. With a tubular mag you can only use flat or very rounded bullets and it may be hard to load and feed the heavies within OAL. Would be hard to find bullets designed to expand at those velocities.

I am aware that with a tubular mag flat or rounded bullets are best. I know Hornady makes a 175 sub-x (which if I'm not mistaken, they even offer a factory loading with that bullet) and a 190 if I'm not mistaken. I also wouldn't care if my subs expand or not by the way. If I was to have this fantasy build in reality, I would hunt with the supers and plink with the subs.

I'm sure there will be hurdles to get through with such a build. I'm just thinking out loud. Like you said, it may not even be worth it but I just had to ask.

Why not just buy a Marlin 336 dark series? Everything you want with no waiting or looking for a smith to do it

Go 357 mag. Easy to find bullets that expand at subsonic velocities, decent performance loaded hot.

Go 357 mag. Easy to find bullets that expand at subsonic velocities, decent performance loaded hot.

I've thought about those other calibers. But my suppressor is 30 cal. I suppose I could do one of those big revolver cartridges and then buy a new suppressor but I'd be waiting 7 or 8 months for it haha...

But hey, that may just be the better way, I still don't know for sure.

Your right, I missed that part of your want list. It’s a 1:10 on the 16.25 barrel

I mean unless the 10 twist works for subs but I kinda doubt it. But then again, the whole idea that I have might not even work at all. I have no experience with subsonic shooting which is why I'm asking for opinions. My friend's 7 twist works real good with both supers and subs.

I may end up settling on the factory 10 twist and just shooting supers.

You should be able to run subs in a 1:10. If I read right and remember, you might have issues with anything over 200g but it’s been a while since I messed with any 30 caliber sub loading

You should be able to run subs in a 1:10. If I read right and remember, you might have issues with anything over 200g but it’s been a while since I messed with any 30 caliber sub loading
    I didnt know Hornady was loading the 175 Sub-x.
    I cant imagine they would produce it if it didn't stabalize in common twists. 1:7 may be unnecessary, I think you are right.

Reactions: roostercogburn98
    Ruger should be releasing new threaded Marlins into the wild soon. I have no idea when, but patience may be needed considering all that is going on. Stock up on SubX until then.

I always thought a 30-30 would make an excellent cast bullet rifle, with the long neck & limited case capacity, and the old Lyman #31141 bullet mold was designed just for that purpose. But cast bullets would probably fill a suppressor with crud just like a 22RF does...

A suppressed lever gun? Let's do this!

Hello all,

This may be a stupid topic but I'm genuinely curious. A long time ago, I decided I wanted a 3030 with a short barrel for hunting and using a suppressor. Many months later, I still lust over the idea of a 16 inch barrel suppressed lever action so with that said, I'm starting to look into it.

If I do end up buying one, I wanna have it done to my liking. I know a friend shoots 300 blackout (out of a bolt gun though) with a 7 twist and has no problem with either supers or subs. This makes his rifle a fun rifle to shoot with subs and his suppressor on it.

It got me thinking if any gunsmith that does regular barrel jobs for bolt guns can do a custom 7 twist for a lever action 3030. This would be an overall amazing and fun build if possible.

Load supers and go hunting for deer or pigs. Then load subs and have a shit load of fun shooting suppressed and trying to hit steel 200 plus yards.

Thoughts???
    Contact Madpig Customs. They specialize in custom lever guns... They can get as modest or wild as you can imagine. I really want one of their tactical .357 Mag lever guns, or maybe one chambered for .350 Legend.

Reactions: stello1001