• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Barrel for Savage

utnapishtim

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2008
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Hi All,

A friend of mine recently redid his 10/22 with a Lilja barrel. Now he's getting better groups than me. We both shot each other's rifles, and we both did better with his rebarrelled 10/22.

So, I need to upgrade. Any thoughts on a good barrel for a Savage MKII with a Boyds tacticool stock?

Also, could it be anything else? Maybe I need to bed the stock, but that seems excessive, imho.

Any help you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: New Barrel for Savage

Bedding would be excessive, but putting on a custom barrel wouldn't be? Have you replaced the trigger?

If your trying to keep up with the Jones' (10/22) with your savage you have entered into a fools errand.
Just because he got a new barrel doesn't mean you need one. Lighten the trigger, replace it, bed the action, test ammo. There's dozens of things you can do to make a savage shoot better before removing the swegged barrel and having a gunsmith cut, mount, and head space a new barrel to your action.

bedding and trigger work would be much less work than rebarreling a savage rimfire. What ammo are you shooting? Perhaps all you need is an ammo change to shoot smaller groups.

IMO the only way to re-barrel a savage rimfire is to go all out with a match grade barrel and have it installed by a smith with a match grade chamber. Yes more money than other options, but the payoff VS money put out will be big. Almost any barrel change you do will cost a lot as "drop in" barrels are not made for them and a smith is going to be needed. So buy a cheap barrel and spend $300 for a smith to install ending up with so so accuracy or spend $300-$400 on barrel then smith install for big time results.

But i agree with others. If you have not accurized what you already have there is a ton left of the table as your gun is. Bed it, have the trigger worked, make sure you have good optics and mounting.