• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing New Barrel on M1A Scout ?

Jaeger_308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2008
Indiana
I have SA Scout in a Sage rig, and it has the stock barrel with SEI Direct Connect Vortex FH. Would it benefit me to try and find someone to but a better quality barrel on it, and if so, who would you guys recommend ?

Re: New Barrel on M1A Scout ?

Jaeger_308,

I was just wondering is it not shooting that good and what type of ammo are you using. Have you had the gas system unitized, had a trigger job. I think a new barrel will help but you will need to do all the accuracy mods for best accuracy gains. If you have someone change the barrel make sure they are good at work on M1A's. A few good people to start with Smith enterprise, Ted Brown, Accuracy Speaks.

I havn't had anything done to the trigger or gas system as of yet. I'm wanting to have it all done at the same time if possible to lessen the turn around time.....

Heavy match grade barrels are better. Standard commercial barrels are often pretty good, but may tend to spread groups during rapid fire strings due to heating stress and a light contour.

A quality heavy match barrel will minimize that tendency and shrink groups when combined with the other steps necessary to tune an M1-A... match grade stock, bedding, g/c unitizing, match reamed flash hider, trigger and load tuning.

These other factors are significant with respect to the platform, and perhaps more important to overall accuracy, but will also wring the most potential out of the existing barrel.

TC