• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing New Barrel Question?

STONEPONY

Private
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2005
Mississippi
I am fixing to build a new rifle on Remington 700 action. I have decided on 7mm-08. It is going to be a hunting rig that me and my wife can shoot. I am planning on putting it into an HS precision stock. I am going with a 23" #5 or Remington Magnum contour barrel. My question is what twist and what Barrel maker to use. I will be shooting anything from 120-168 gr. What would be the best median twist for all bullets in this caliber? I know that all the major barrel makers are good, but does any stand out over the rest? I also want to recieve the barrel farely quickly if that is possible. What is the average turn around to recieve a barrel that you order? Any help is appreciated!

Re: New Barrel Question?

i'd suggest the 1-9" twist.

all of the premium barrels will meet your expectations. i have Krieger, Brux, two Harts, Broughton, and two Liljas. all simply amaze me at times. my favorite is Lilja, simply because he cuts the outer contour of the barrel to a nice parabolic curve of some sort instead of a series of straight cyllinder and cone cuts. they shoot knots, too. my Brux is also dear to me.

sometimes Midway has a barrel or two in stock, and Bruno's often has a few.

my last Lilja was six weeks to my doorstep if i recall correctly.

Definatly get a 9 twist it is all you need liik at the 162gr A MAx perfectly ballanced for the 7mm08 we have lawton barrels here in Australia and would highly recomend them as we are their agent and importer here. Give them a call they may have one in stock that needs profiling you can choose your profile a good all round profile is the Remington magnum is very accurate in my 7mm SAUM profile they are stiff but not to heavy any good custom barrel maker should be able to help you Rock barrels are also supposed to be very good.

Contrary to what some have stated on here; if you get the "select match" you are GTG!

Go with the highest grade from any manufacturer. The Shillen Select Match will do what you want i prefer a cut rifled barrel but i have owned many brands including shillen. Shillen used to be a force in benchrest shooting if you get a good one they should shoot well just get the 9 twist probably the most important part and the Rem Mag profile is great.

almost all of the top tier barrel makers only produce ONE grade of barrel. their best. and that's how it should be.

i'd look at Pac-Nor before Shilen, but still prefer Lilja, Brux, Hart, Krieger, Broughton, ect

Quick turn around and a great barrel, call Brux.

2-3 weeks to have barrel in hand with contour and twist of your choice.

Phone call to any of the barrel makers may turn up a barrel on the shelf that somebody backed out for one reason or another.

Could check with Bruno's shooter supply in Phoenix, he usually has pretty decent selection of barrels on hand.

Many factory barrels, many military barrels, and some aftermarket barrels actually originate with Lothar-Walther. They are simply the world's most active barrel manufacturers. I have an identical pair of .260 Rem barrels from them that were produced to be non-gunsmithing home-installed on Savage receivers. I am satisfied with them in every way.

They will produce a barrel to whatever (reasonable) spec you provide, and their measuring and guaging expertise, along with their meticulous record keeping, will ensure that when you order the same thing down the road, it will be the same thing.

Greg

For twist recommendations you might ask 300Sniper what he built his 284 Win with. IIRC he was stable past 1300y and started to see issues around the 1440y marker with heavy bullets, I don't remember what he was running for twist though.

I ended up getting a #5 1-9 twist 7mm Krieger Barrel that they already had made! Should be good!