• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New barrel same load

TRG65

Private
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2005
NM
I'm currently running a 24" Hawk Hill barrel on my 6.5 Addiction. I have a 26" Hawk Hill sitting in reserve. However, I was looking at Quickload and OBT times. Using the same node but two inches further out gives the same velocity, just with less powder and pressure. For those of you that have gone to a longer barrel in the same caliber, did you end up with a velocity gain, or was it mostly just a re-tuning and ending up at a similar velocity to what you ran before? Based on the load I'm currently running, it would not be feasible for me to try to get to a faster node.

Velocity gain. I went from 23" to 24" and gained speed and accuracy with the same load. The only other change I made was going from a stainless to chromoly Criterion prefit barrel. I'm a fan of chromoly barrels. I tried stainless and didn't see a benefit.