• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Barrel Throat Finish, Rifling damage- is this Normal?

ucsfl05

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 5, 2020
Wanted to get an opinion on this-
just got a brand new benchmark barrel in 6GT and cleaned it.
This is what my throat looks like
Photo on 9-9-21 at 9.20 PM.jpg

Photo on 9-9-21 at 9.23 PM.jpg

and there is some damage to the rifling just before the crown.

Photo on 9-9-21 at 9.27 PM.jpg

Photo on 9-9-21 at 9.25 PM.jpg

What would you do?

Thanks

The throat doesn't concern me at all, it looks uniform. The crown it self is undamaged. The bit of the rifling before would not really concern me to start, but would be something to think about if it doesn't shoot. Barrels looking way worse than that shoot good. So I would shoot it.

If you want to see something miraculous,

Shoot a savage
Then bore scope that savage

You’ll learn something about minor imperfections

The only time I could see an issue arising is when the bore is cleaned completely down to bare metal. Even then it will likely perform well

I would shoot it first for sure but if it bothers you Id ask the the builder and see what they say. I'm sure barrel builders and gunsmiths hate the invention of cheap useable borescopes.

I don't think it looks horrible and I'm sure it will shoot fine, but I also think a barrel that your paying a premium for shouldn't have those marks inside. I have a Muellerworks barrel thats worse than that, shoots exceptionally well but it holds more copper than my other brux, bartlein, and proof barrels that have a better interior finish. I have to clean it about 2X as much to keep the accuracy in line or it coppers up. I hate cleaning rifles so I kick myself everytime I didn't send it back. Everybody makes a turd once in awhile.

Did Benchmark finish it out or just make the blank? Looks pretty rough for a premium barrel...but may shoot just fine. If you paid top dollar for it I would contact whomever did that work.

Wanted to get an opinion on this-
just got a brand new benchmark barrel in 6GT and cleaned it.
This is what my throat looks like View attachment 7700316

View attachment 7700317

and there is some damage to the rifling just before the crown.

View attachment 7700320

View attachment 7700319

What would you do?

Thanks
Unless you got a steal on it, send it back. I wouldn't accept that sort of machining from a top tier maker. It may or may not shoot well, but these issues will always be in the back of your mind and you will blame it (right or wrong) for any issues. It will always F*ck with your head.

Just saying.

If you want to see something miraculous,

Shoot a savage
Then bore scope that savage

You’ll learn something about minor imperfections
LMFAO
Not to mention "not minor" imperfections :)
I own a few, including a .338 LM...the lands all look like fucking railroad tracks from the rifling button, copper foul like a bitch when new.
All shoot no worse than 3/4 minute.

I concur nothing to see here with the OP's bore, not sure what the gripe is about concerning the throat.

Unless you got a steal on it, send it back. I wouldn't accept that sort of machining from a top tier maker. It may or may not shoot well, but these issues will always be in the back of your mind and you will blame it (right or wrong) for any issues. It will always F*ck with your head.

Just saying.
Which part of the machining is sub par?

I totally understand that borescopes are the bane of existence. What bugs me is the dents from the range rod used for indicating. They are so close to the crown that effectively, at projectile velocity, it may be *like* a damaged crown. I will shoot the barrel and provide a range report.

Reactions: Holliday
Which part of the machining is sub par?
The parts shown in the pictures in the OP. I'd probably let the chamber slide, as that would have little effect on the barrel's performance. But the big nicks to me are unacceptable. If it were sold as a "blem", maybe. I've had a lot of precision barrels and I don't buy that that is a normal part of the process. It was an "ooops" somewhere. As I said though, I fully admit that it could have zero factor on barrel's performance, but it could. And that will always be in the shooter's psyche. I'm going through this exact thing with a shooting partner that was/is convinced some similar stuff in a brand new high end precision barrel is the cause of it shooting like crap more often that it shoots well, and this is not his first rodeo.

However, I don't think anyone of us would accept a cosmetic mar like on the exterior of a barrel they paid full price for and would send it back before the UPS truck even left the block. And that certainly wouldn't affect performance in the slightest. My point here is not the affect the machining may or may not have on how well it shoots. It's about the notion that if you are paying MORE for something that is supposedly a top tier product, you expect the level of finish to be consistent with the expectations that come with those $$ spent, especially as I don't think that is the norm for finished barrels in this category.

Now if that were the normal thing to expect and all or most barrels come that way and they shoot just fine, then sure. I'd tell the OP to stop whining. But I don't believe that to be the case. However, I'm more than happy to be proven wrong if the several top end barrel guys here on SH tell me I'm wrong. I don't in anyway claim to be an expert on the manufacturing process. I am however an experienced consumer of these products and I don't recall ever seeing anything that egregious.vv

I would contact whomever finished the barrel before I shot it to let them know I have concerns about the conditions that I'm seeing. It may in fact shoot just fine but the odds have increased that it will not. Let them make the call on shooting it. Because if it doesn't shoot it's going to get dropped in there lap and the customer is not going to be happy. He will also tell his 10 best friend and about 600 people on the internet all about it.

Are these in spec? This is from said barrel. One is to ogive and another is oal. Seems a biiiiiit generous of freebore
A0D2E820-AED9-4FEA-A959-3398E3718597.jpeg

C7505C1F-8E2A-4BA2-9B16-AB131C5A4962.jpeg

Do you know different bullets will sit differently in the chamber based on their shape? With the information you've provided the answer is, "Who knows?!"

I don't see any issues in the throat. The machining you see is the reamer cutting away the rifling. It always looks like that or very similar. Yes there are some tooling marks on he lands near the muzzle. It could result in absolutely nothing.
Yes, I do. Hence my use of a comparator. Maybe better place for this would be for the 6gt threads? Would love a dimension drawing for the cartridge- this seems way more free bore than .170 (alpha makes 2 reamers, .120 and .170).

Your comparator measurement doesn’t really mean anything to anyone but you. Too much variation between comparators. I use two of the same brand and caliber and they both provide different readings. How much of the bullet’s bearing surface is in the neck?

Reactions: Baron23
Basically what I’m saying is that I can’t touch the lands with the bullet.

Why not just shoot that thing and see if it’s worth all the crying and heart ache?