• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Barrel Time?

USAF1A8

Private
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2007
Husker Nation
Ok my latest question is this:
I have a phenomenal shooter Savage 10FP. Bought it bone stock save some trigger work. Pre accu-trigger worked over well by its previous owner, sits in a B&C medalist freedom green stock. Topped with warne base and rings and a SS 10x. More fun than I have ever had in my life. Easy sub moa at 600, never had the chance to go further. Looking at logging her life in a data book, but I have no idea what the round count is on this thing. I have no reason to question its accuracy at all. But, would a prudent man swap into a nice shillen or lilja match barrel and chronicle the new barrels life after break in? Is it worth it to buy a book now and document well, not knowing this barrels future? Opinions from the Masters?

Re: New Barrel Time?

no.
keep on shooting it until the accuracy goes to crap then rebarrel and document from there. rebarreling now just to have a log book makes no sense

putting a new barrel on dont cost that much and it would give you piece of mind. do it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrredbeard1959</div><div class="ubbcode-body">putting a new barrel on dont cost that much and it would give you piece of mind. do it </div></div>

what do you mean piece of mind? his rifle isnt going to stop shooting sub moa at round count 2,156 and he isnt sure how many more he has to go until he hits that magical number. shoot it until the barrel shits out then rebarrel unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket

I know nothing about Savages so I gotta ask what caliber is the weapon in question, and approx round count, a 308 will go well past 6k rounds, 243 will go around 1500, so if your getting close to those numbers get a barrel, if not get more ammo so you can get to those numbers.

Just shoot the crap out of the barrel. When time comes to rebarrel her get the action trued while your at it.

Unless you have the money for it and dont care for factory, and want a trued action, its not worth wasting a working barrel over.

And if your getting decent accuracy at 600 yards I would not stress.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know nothing about Savages so I gotta ask what caliber is the weapon in question, and approx round count, a 308 will go well past 6k rounds, 243 will go around 1500, so if your getting close to those numbers get a barrel, if not get more ammo so you can get to those numbers. </div></div>

I have a GAP with over 7k rounds on it and it still shoots great. But I guess all barrels aren't created equal.....

i dont know about money burning a hole, but i will make the rifles only PR 1 and 2 combo course this year. I promised myself, the rifle is in .308, talking to the prev owner, the rifle has had the trigger reworked to about 3.5lbs, the action has been trued and the headspace was "crushed to the SAAMI minimum and the rifle was set up for 168 GMM". Just worried about embarrassing myself a little i suppose, but in the time i have had it i have put probably less than 500 through it.

Another option

If you really don't trust the current barrel, get a new one for shooting your training courses. Shoot the courses, remove new barrel and reinstall the old one.

Shoot the old barrel until it is gone then put new barrel back on.

Now for reality. If you buy the new barrel for peace of mind. You will shoot it and once you start, you will never put the old barrel back on.

Then you can sell me the old barrel for $25.00 and I will shoot the shit out of it.

Re: Another option

Just shoot it. Keep a note pad in the case & start recording some data to give you a base line for now. Data NEVER hurts. If you choose to rebarrel the rifle, do a Schneider Polygon rifled barrel. Then you will REALLY be impressed with the rifle!

Dang good advice thanks, I'll look into polygonal rifle barrels from Schnieder and Pac Nor too, right?

If the current barrel shoots well, I think the old adage "Don't fix it if it works" applies here. Enjoy the current barrel until it dies...THEN get a log book and keep records about the new barrel. Good log books will give back a great deal of information if you put good info in them. I even record when I clean them, and watch how they perform after cleaning. Some rifles only take a couple of shoots to foul. Another rifle takes about ten shots to settle down after a good cleaning. Stuff like that is really important information.

I have had two polygon barrels from Gary Schnieder on a McMillan built M40A1 in 400 win mag. They were very accurate barrels. The second one I took off at about 875 rounds because it started throwing flyers once in a while. I sold it used to a friend for $100, and gave him complete history on it. The gunsmith he took it to scoped the bore and asked why the barrel was taken off because it looked so good.. Anyhow, it was set back less than one turn, and no longer throws flyers, and again shoots great.

Agree that you should just keep shooting with current barrel if it shoots sub-MOA. Keep round count from now and data book. Switch out the barrel only when accuracy deteriorates significantly.

Another advantage would be to give you enough experience and time with your current rifle to figure out what you really want in the future.

Keep shooting it. You can buy or make a modular Data Book (in a binder system) and then when you rebarrel just switch out the pages you need. Its a good habit to mentally form, by logging data now, and understanding your come-ups, movers, and esp wind. I sure as heck can't remember most of that unless I write it down. Mark

There is no reason not to keep a logbook. They contain much more information than just a round count. Used properly they are an invaluable tool that allows you to analyze every aspect of your shooting and improve it. Get a new barrel when the accuracy goes south, but if you are not keeping track of how it shoots now, how will you know if its the rifle, ammo or you are just having a bad day?

If you keep accurate records, you will eventually notice a trend of unexplained flyers, that is a good indication that your barrel is on its last leg. By using a logbook you will learn when you need to clean your rifle, how it shoots in different conditions with different ammo. You will be able to spot trends in your shooting and find the causes, by using your log book properly.

The only reason i can see to keep a log book on round count is if your anal, you plan to re-sell the rifle, or you like knowing the info for tracking info and reference. So start the round count now. Not to mention you wont see your accuracy just disappear after one shot, 5 shots, or even 20. I think your looking at a gradual loss of accuracy that only maintaining shot groups and detailed data will really tell you if that is going on. I would start the log book and round count now, and use the time till your bbl is shot out to find a good deal on a new bbl.

I would only change the barrel if you want to change calibers. If it is used for hunting or if you don't handload I'd stick with the barrel you have until like everyone stated above and the accuracy goes south. The 10FP with that bull barrel should easily last 5-8k without skipping a beat.

Good luck,
Merritt

I figure it's a tossup.

You have a good barrel with known accuracy load data.

Taking it off and holding it aside can serve as a quick fallback strategy to back up a new aftermarket barrel.

Something to consider:

The "if it ain't broke why fix it?" strategy embodies the hidden flaw that when things finally do go South, getting stuff back up and running again can be complex, untimely, and frustrating.

Always have a Plan B, and a tested, proven one ain't bad, either.

Some folks believe in insurance...; some don't.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1shot2kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">no.
keep on shooting it until the accuracy goes to crap then rebarrel and document from there. rebarreling now just to have a log book makes no sense </div></div>

+1 if it shoots good don't jack with it.

I have an older 10FP that was chambered in .308 Win. It went past 5000 rounds before I started to see a decrease in accuracy. If it shoots good don't fcuk with it! When you do rebarrel the rifle look at Benchmark (Kevin Rayhill at Stockade Gunworks sells them and can do the work) or Lothar Walther. I like them both and have had very good luck with them.