• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New BDX Scopes and Updates from Sig

catorres1

Private
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2013
Sig has made some additions and changes to their BDX line for 2020 that I thought I would pass on. They are committed to the system, as it plays to their strengths in integrating technology and optics and I think we’ll see more and more products with this capability as time rolls on. For now, they have introduced the following:

Updated BDX 2.0: This is really not an increase in capability, but a simplification for people that don’t want to use a smart phone with their system, and/or do not want to jump into specific ballistics for their rifles. Basically, they added specifically spaced ballistic pre-set curves (about 1 MOA apart at 100 yards IIRC), that can be setup via the app, but more importantly for some, selected from the scope without having to use a smart phone at all. And for those buying the scope/RF combos, they will also now come pre-paired. Talking to Sig, my understanding is this move is in response to a request from some users that just wanted a more simple system that they could setup very easily with little additional tech work. For those shooters that don’t mind using the phone to set the system up, and that want the additional long range accuracy of a custom curve, all of the previous capability continues. The update is really for those that don’t want that and want a much more simple setup procedure.

One additional key point about the change is that because it allows you to have a customizeable (albeit in a limited form) BDC that more closely matches your ballistics without using a smart phone or RF connection, when used in this fashion, it should be useable in states where the BDX system is banned. In those cases, while not as good as the whole system, if you already have the scope, you can still use it’s BDC abilities (to a degree) without running afoul of the game laws in that particular state. While it is not an ideal solution to the problem, it is an option for those that already have BDX setups and still want to make use of them, or for those that like traditional BDC holdover systems (like Leupold’s B&C reticle) but don’t like that they cannot be adjusted to their needs. BDX 2.0 allows them an easy way to still have a simple BDC reticle, but one that is more closely aligned to the trajectory of their rifles.

Sierra 6 BDX Scope

Sig has also started moving BDX tech up their product line with the introduction of the Sierra 6 BDX scopes, which will come in 2-12, 3-18, and 5-30 magnfications. These scopes are still second focal plane, but they have a 6x erector, improved glass, and improved Bluetooth connectivity made possible by the relocation of the communication pod.

Sig also doubled the number of holdover points on the vertical stadia, and added a ‘windage tree’ that corresponds to those dots. The windage tree dots do not light up but it allows the shooter to more easily cross reference the holdover and windage hold indicators that display on the main reticle, giving the shooter an actual point to hold to that is off the main stadia for a hold that resolves both elevation and windage. Previously, on the Sierra 3’s, you had one dot on the vertical for holdover, and one on the horizontal for windage, and you had to figure out in empty space in the scope where these should cross. The new reticle now lets you ‘connect the dots’ so to speak for a more accurate solution.

In terms of Bluetooth connectivity, I am told that the distance has been increased by more than two times what I tested the Sierra 3 at. The purpose was not to overly increase the distance from the shooter to the RF, but to make the connectively, which was already quite stable, even moreso.

I am told that these scopes will ship sometime in early summer and MSRP should start at around 1k. I hope to have a demo to test before that, and I’ll post my impressions if that works out, but these scopes look to me to be targeted to longer range shooters who needed more holdover capability, better glass, and more precision in terms of placing their holdoff. I’m looking forward to testing one out in the coming months!

Echo 3

Though I have plenty of need for them where I live, I am generally not much of a thermal user, simply due to the cost. The Echo 3 still is nowhere near my budget, but it’s still worth mentioning because Sig has implemented BDX tech into this thermal reflex scope as well. It’s a 1-6 digital thermal with BDX, and includes video and image recording. It’s design indicates to me that BDX will continue to spread throughout their line, probably maturing and improving along the way. Frankly, if I could afford that $3k price tag, I’d definitely grab one of these to resolve some of the coyote and pig issues in my area. Hopefully, I can at least get one on demo and pop it on one of my AR’s to give it a run, but again, I see this as an indicator of how dedicated Sig is, and will continue to be, to integrating new technology applications into their optics line.

Reactions: JADnspav616
Sig has made some additions and changes to their BDX line for 2020 that I thought I would pass on. They are committed to the system, as it plays to their strengths in integrating technology and optics and I think we’ll see more and more products with this capability as time rolls on. For now, they have introduced the following:

Updated BDX 2.0: This is really not an increase in capability, but a simplification for people that don’t want to use a smart phone with their system, and/or do not want to jump into specific ballistics for their rifles. Basically, they added specifically spaced ballistic pre-set curves (about 1 MOA apart at 100 yards IIRC), that can be setup via the app, but more importantly for some, selected from the scope without having to use a smart phone at all. And for those buying the scope/RF combos, they will also now come pre-paired. Talking to Sig, my understanding is this move is in response to a request from some users that just wanted a more simple system that they could setup very easily with little additional tech work. For those shooters that don’t mind using the phone to set the system up, and that want the additional long range accuracy of a custom curve, all of the previous capability continues. The update is really for those that don’t want that and want a much more simple setup procedure.

One additional key point about the change is that because it allows you to have a customizeable (albeit in a limited form) BDC that more closely matches your ballistics without using a smart phone or RF connection, when used in this fashion, it should be useable in states where the BDX system is banned. In those cases, while not as good as the whole system, if you already have the scope, you can still use it’s BDC abilities (to a degree) without running afoul of the game laws in that particular state. While it is not an ideal solution to the problem, it is an option for those that already have BDX setups and still want to make use of them, or for those that like traditional BDC holdover systems (like Leupold’s B&C reticle) but don’t like that they cannot be adjusted to their needs. BDX 2.0 allows them an easy way to still have a simple BDC reticle, but one that is more closely aligned to the trajectory of their rifles.

Sierra 6 BDX Scope

Sig has also started moving BDX tech up their product line with the introduction of the Sierra 6 BDX scopes, which will come in 2-12, 3-18, and 5-30 magnfications. These scopes are still second focal plane, but they have a 6x erector, improved glass, and improved Bluetooth connectivity made possible by the relocation of the communication pod.

Sig also doubled the number of holdover points on the vertical stadia, and added a ‘windage tree’ that corresponds to those dots. The windage tree dots do not light up but it allows the shooter to more easily cross reference the holdover and windage hold indicators that display on the main reticle, giving the shooter an actual point to hold to that is off the main stadia for a hold that resolves both elevation and windage. Previously, on the Sierra 3’s, you had one dot on the vertical for holdover, and one on the horizontal for windage, and you had to figure out in empty space in the scope where these should cross. The new reticle now lets you ‘connect the dots’ so to speak for a more accurate solution.

In terms of Bluetooth connectivity, I am told that the distance has been increased by more than two times what I tested the Sierra 3 at. The purpose was not to overly increase the distance from the shooter to the RF, but to make the connectively, which was already quite stable, even moreso.

I am told that these scopes will ship sometime in early summer and MSRP should start at around 1k. I hope to have a demo to test before that, and I’ll post my impressions if that works out, but these scopes look to me to be targeted to longer range shooters who needed more holdover capability, better glass, and more precision in terms of placing their holdoff. I’m looking forward to testing one out in the coming months!

Echo 3

Though I have plenty of need for them where I live, I am generally not much of a thermal user, simply due to the cost. The Echo 3 still is nowhere near my budget, but it’s still worth mentioning because Sig has implemented BDX tech into this thermal reflex scope as well. It’s a 1-6 digital thermal with BDX, and includes video and image recording. It’s design indicates to me that BDX will continue to spread throughout their line, probably maturing and improving along the way. Frankly, if I could afford that $3k price tag, I’d definitely grab one of these to resolve some of the coyote and pig issues in my area. Hopefully, I can at least get one on demo and pop it on one of my AR’s to give it a run, but again, I see this as an indicator of how dedicated Sig is, and will continue to be, to integrating new technology applications into their optics line.

I’m very interested in the 3-18x44

I’m building a light 6.5 build I’m doing for some bonus target in multigun.

The bdx system is really handy for big targets at mid range 400 to 900 yards. I have a bdx scope now and can Custome enter up to 8 holds so I can engage 8 different ranges with little thought other then wind.
The quality of glass in the Serra3 isn’t very good and narrow field of view.

I’m really hoping this new glass will be decent and am looking forward to the new reticle. The original bdx scope reticle is way too thick and no wind holds really sucks..

Where did you hear about the possible ship date? I want one of these ASAP!

Sig's release date on the Kilo 3000 BDX rangefinder binoculars was very optimistic.

I hope they do better with the upgrades.

By the way, where is the BT antenna? I have some clearance issues under the turret bell in a one piece mount I want to use.

It’s the bump on the top of the ocular lens Assembly
Sig's release date on the Kilo 3000 BDX rangefinder binoculars was very optimistic.

I hope they do better with the upgrades.

By the way, where is the BT antenna? I have some clearance issues under the turret bell in a one piece mount I want to use.

Attachments

• 72BE926D-7A73-43DC-A892-782C52F5D15D.jpeg
    72BE926D-7A73-43DC-A892-782C52F5D15D.jpeg
    54.4 KB · Views: 94
  • BD1BE3DE-F29B-4EA9-876A-830623E7997D.jpeg
    BD1BE3DE-F29B-4EA9-876A-830623E7997D.jpeg
    36.5 KB · Views: 85
That looks like it will work.
I had the same issue as you did and had to go with a different mount. Hopefully these new scopes fix a few of the issues with the original.

Got off the phone with Sig and the new Bdx scopes are supposed to ship late June or early July :(

I talked to Sig and was messaged that June/July is what it is looking like right now as well. But that is somewhat tentative. In terms of what happened with the 3k, I think there were some last minute changes that they ended up making IIRC, that pushed back the release. I think that Sig will probably get this one done during the summer season to give hunters a chance to get these on their rifles.

I am expecting a demo at some point, and I think at that point we'll have a good idea of when they will really be available.

As already mentioned, yes, the BT sensor is now on the top of the ocular. This was done to increase the stregnth of the signal, and I am told that the change was extremely successful, allowing more distance than they would actually recommend you use, but making the connection more reasonable ranges stronger and more stable.

I talked to Sig and was messaged that June/July is what it is looking like right now as well. But that is somewhat tentative. In terms of what happened with the 3k, I think there were some last minute changes that they ended up making IIRC, that pushed back the release. I think that Sig will probably get this one done during the summer season to give hunters a chance to get these on their rifles.

I am expecting a demo at some point, and I think at that point we'll have a good idea of when they will really be available.

As already mentioned, yes, the BT sensor is now on the top of the ocular. This was done to increase the stregnth of the signal, and I am told that the change was extremely successful, allowing more distance than they would actually recommend you use, but making the connection more reasonable ranges stronger and more stable.
Definitely update us when you get the demo unit!

Definitely update us when you get the demo unit!
You bet, I talked some more with my contact at Sig today, should have a more solid idea of the ship date in probably 30 days. Hopefully have a demo to test not too far into spring, so I should have at least initial findings by the time it comes to market. But there are a lot of moving parts, so we will see!

Yeah, but the key thing to note, those dots off the stadia do not light up. It just makes it much easier to cross reference the elevation and wind holds that are displayed on the horizontal and vertical stadia.

Yeah, but the key thing to note, those dots off the stadia do not light up. It just makes it much easier to cross reference the elevation and wind holds that are displayed on the horizontal and vertical stadia.

I think the most useful part of the dots is for a Follow up shot where you missed read the wind now you have an exact point to hold.

Yeah, it'll be nice to have that reference point where on the Sierra 3, there is just space. Adjusting for wind will be much easier I hope!

Reactions: JeremyV
That's what I've been waiting for.
An illuminated dot that highlights the elevation line then push the vertical stadia into the wind, I assume the Wind holds are based on MOA. Do you know the spacing?
Please keep us posted. When I looked on the Sig website I saw a reference for R2 but couldn't find an image.
Thanks

That's what I've been waiting for.
An illuminated dot that highlights the elevation line then push the vertical stadia into the wind, I assume the Wind holds are based on MOA. Do you know the spacing?
Please keep us posted. When I looked on the Sig website I saw a reference for R2 but couldn't find an image.
Thanks
Yes, the holds are MOA based. As far as the spacing, I don't know as they increased the granularity over the Sierra as I understand it. My guess is something like .25 MOA at top power.

Necrothread but where are these things? Seems to be another vaporware product from Sig. Optics Planet is allowing backorders but their estimated in stock is 5-7 months.

I understand the first shipment just finally arrived and they should be shipping here shortly. Hope so, hope to see one to try out in the next month or so!

Yep it does sound that way, still haven't seen them hit stores but Sig confirmed they should ship soon.

That said I'm curious about the temperature limitations. Some of posted that the Sierra3 versions did not did not function below freezing and Sig evidently confirmed they would not work in very cold temps. Cold temps are usually not a huge deal with a rangefinder or binos as you can put them your jacket pocket etc. to keep warm. However, there's no option for that with a rifle scope, it's going to be whatever temp it is outside.

There's nothing in the Sierra3/6 manual for specs, nor in their Kilo manuals for temperature limits, I'll fire an email to Sig and see what they say.

Interesting, I had not heard that there was a problem with temps and the BDX scopes. We have never had a problem and have used them below freezing. For that matter, RF's as well.....no problems. Could it be a battery issue? I'll reach out to Sig on this, curious...

Definitely usually is a battery issue, I'd say the other big suspect would be the display itself dimming and essentially getting so dim you can't see it, meanwhile the unit is still working, but I think that tends to impact "projection" displays more than a direct LED that I'm guessing the BDX scopes use. You can put batteries in the freezer and see this effect of reduced power in devices until they warm up.

There's a lot of posts for rangefinders either stopping working or reduced range/accuracy in cold temps, there was a couple pretty detailed posts where it seemed like some units started having issues around freezing, most units had issues in the teens, and basically nothing consumer level worked below zero. Now that's leaving the unit out so the whole unit has cooled down to that temp. Where if you keep it in your jacket or pocket it's likely never getting that old. Used to be a trick was to just put a hand warmer in the pocket you had your rangefinder in. Others also noted for rangefinders that just use a very minimal spring type battery connection, increasing the tension improved cold performance.

Also no doubt some batteries perform better in the cold than others, It would be an interesting test to take a few of the popular brands and freezer test them.

I guess it would also be interesting to see the impacts of cold on the bluetooth transmission range/function since you need that as well for the rangefinder to talk to the scope. Probably not an issue if you are ranging and shooting yourself, might be more likely with a partner spotting/ranging that's not right next to you. I know Sig mentions the Sierra6's moved the bluetooth receiver from the bottom of the scope to the top because they were having some transmission range issues.

Yeah, I would guess batteries then. I have used my Kestrel, Leica's and Sig stuff all in below freezing temps and never had a problem, but I have noticed the battery in the Kestrel will show lower when it's really cold, even though its a lithium battery. Then it restores itself as it warms up. My Leicas do not have any gauge, but they may be having the same effect. I did not notice this on the 3k bdx, but I'll check again here soon. If I find time, think I'll dump the lot of them in my deep freeze and see what happens. But the batteries in the RF's are larger than the little button ones in the scope, so maybe it's more susceptible? Not sure, but definitely curious to see.

Curiosity got the better of me. I tossed in one of the BDX scopes I have, along with the 3k BDX and my Leica 2800...put them in my deep freeze -10 or so....lets see what happens.

Not to bump a necrothread (for the second time) but one other thing I thought of, now that there's a huge hump right by the rear eyepiece lens, if Sig doesn't include some sort of scope caps (and it doesn't look like they do, at least there's no reference to them) what are people using for scope caps? Objective will be easy, but there's barely any area at the rear to mount something unless it's custom molded for the bluetooth hump. Some of the more flexible rubber options might be fanagled over it but it looks like a pretty tall hump, not sure how the cap would align.