• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Beanland 7wsm

OKbow87

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2006
Oklahoma City, OK
I was lucky enough to take delivery of my new 7 wsm built by Jon Beanland over the holiday weekend. He had already built me one a couple of years ago that was nothing short of stellar, but was always heavier than I really wanted it to be. So I spun off the MTU barrel and ditched the adjustable Mcmillan A5 in favor of a spiral fluted heavy palma, and non adjustable Manners T2. I used the same Surgeon rsr wsm action that the gun was built on previously. I also switched from surgeon bottom metal to the seekins wsm bottom metal to gain a little more mag length for the short action. I went with a badger thruster brake again, as well as a jewell trigger.

img0521bk.jpg

img0522e.jpg

I was able to get out today and put a few rounds down range. I planned on shooting some 162 amax loads I had from my last rifle just to see how they ran in the new gun, and I loaded up 10 rounds of 180 vld's increasing .5 grain of H1000 per load looking for where I would run into pressure. It was 102 degrees while I was at the range shooting. So I figured this would be a good day to find what the max load would be for this rifle. My reasoning for that being, if it's safe today, it should be safe every other day of the year. This is mainly a hunting gun, so most of its use will be in the fall and winter.

I started with the amax loads from my old gun. Shot a couple to get a zero and foul the freshly cleaned barrel. I then fired a 5 shot group and was pleasantly surprised. Not only did they run the exact same speed as they did in my last gun, but they were all clustered into an easy sub 1/2 moa group! Since it was so hot outside I let it cool for a while and shot a couple groups with my 22-243. Once I was done there, I started into the "pressure ladder" test I had loaded up with the 180 vld's. I used the same aiming point as the first group with the 162's figuring the point of impact would be different between the two bullets.... Wrong. At first I could not find where my shot went. I was really more concerned with the speed over the chrono and checking my brass for any pressure signs. I loaded the next .5 grain higher and let it fly. After this one I noticed the original 5 shot amax group was getting a little bigger. I thought that was pretty neat they were shooting the same poi. Since I had already opened the amax group I went ahead and finished the ladder test using the same point of aim, just to see what it would look like when I was done. I was taking my time and making good shots, but not overly concerned. When I was done I had a 15 round group that is just less than 1" center to center.

img0519ml.jpg

img0523bo.jpg

So far I am super pleased and excited about doing more load testing. I am wanting to run the 180's around 2950, and looks like I won't have any problem reaching that speed or getting it to shoot. Thanks Jon. You are the man!

Re: New Beanland 7wsm

Awesome looking rifle! What color did he use on the barreled action? Hopefully he will start on mine soon.

Coyote tan cerakote. What is he building you? I am getting a 6.5x47 as well from him in about another month.

6.5x47 on a Bighorn action. Need to send him my Stiller tac30aw also.

Nice looking set up. I took my brand new GAP 7wsm out this past Sat. and shot it. I was shooting Cooper Creek with 180gr Hyb. VLD. It grouped in the 0.3". Mine is a hunting rifle as well.

I'm loading Berger 180gr hunting VLD with a starting load of 63gr of H1000. I'm going to try and shoot a ladder test this weekend using 63gr to 65gr in .5 grain increments. I'm hoping to achieve 2,950 to 2,975fps. If you don't mind what's your load data?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cigarcop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks great....Jon builds a mean stick
wink.gif
</div></div>

Yes he does.

Jcann.... I shot from 65 to 69.5 grains today. I am calling 69 max for my gun. I had a flat primer and slight ejector mark at 69.5. My oal is 2.977, or 2.277 measured from base to ogive with stoney point comparator. If your oal is shorter than mine you will probably want to start a little bit lower, but I'm sure you already know that. 65 grains was 2837, and 69.5 grains was 3012. There was a roughly 30 fps increase per .5 grain of powder.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OKbow87</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jcann.... I shot from 65 to 69.5 grains today. I am calling 69 max for my gun. I had a flat primer and slight ejector mark at 69.5. My oal is 2.977, or 2.277 measured from base to ogive with stoney point comparator. If your oal is shorter than mine you will probably want to start a little bit lower, but I'm sure you already know that. 65 grains was 2837, and 69.5 grains was 3012. There was a roughly 30 fps increase per .5 grain of powder. </div></div>

I’m at 2.2455” base to ogive with my comparator; this puts me right into the lands. I’m backing off one-thousands to start with and will play with seating depth once I determine powder weight from the ladder testing. I’ve heard the node for the 7wsm is around 2,950fps. What did you see from your ladder?

Jcann... I didn't really shoot a ladder test. I just shot one round increasing .5 grain charge weight at a time in order to find what I will consider to be max in this gun. I will then use that to go and do an ocw test. All though I think I could pretty much take any charge weight I wanted to and it would shoot just fine seeing as how it put all 10 different charges in less than 1 moa. I haven't ever done an ocw, so I will be interested in seeing how it goes.

Really a fine looking rifle - congrats to you!

And yes Jon does build some nice ones and is a heck of a nice guy to work with, he built a 7mm08 for me last year and currently has the parts to build a twin to the 1st rifle, can't to get it back!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OKbow87</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Coyote tan cerakote. What is he building you? I am getting a 6.5x47 as well from him in about another month. </div></div>Mine will be done in a month to as well can't WAIT!!!!!!