• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Bergara HMR Wilderness safety will not engage when bolt is down and gun is cocked

ziffster

Private
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2020
I wasn't entirely sure where this should go as I'm new here, so bear pit it is. Please point me to a better forum for his question if there is one.

I purchased a Bergara HMR Wilderness in 6.5CM on the 17th of March and since then, due to FFL closures, it has been shipped once, returned to sender after a couple failed delivery attempts, and shipped again. The gun was delivered successfully this past Tuesday, the 7th, and I was just able to get to my FFL today and pick it up. After an initial inspection, I noticed that the safety will not engage when the bolt is down and the gun is cocked. I understand it's by design that the safety doesn't engage if the gun is decocked, but the safety seems to stop at the same point when the gun is cocked. There is also a rather visible impression/light tearing on the box that matched up with the safety lever, but I don't know how possible it is that something within the gun got bent in transit.

Has anyone else had or heard of this issue with their HMR or is it most likely a product of my gun being in the logistical nightmare for the better part of 3 weeks? I haven't reached out to Bergara yet as I figured I'd post here first.