• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Binos For UT Elk Hunt

Quiet6.8

Private
Minuteman
May 20, 2017
UT
I am in the market for a new set of binoculars for an upcoming UT elk hunt. Would like to keep the magnification in the 8-10x range. Would also like them to be range finding as well. Does any manufacturer make a set of range finding binos that takes in account of the angle and give you that measurement too?

Been quite pleased with my two pairs of Leicas, the older 2200 HD-B and the new 3200.COM, both 10x42. Onboard ranging, temp, pressure, and inclination, and you can do the ballistic calc in the binos or on a separate app.

Vortex Fury 5000 meets your requirements, as has been recommended. I have used a set for about 18 months and have been very pleased. A word of caution though: due to the integrated rangefinder, there are additional coatings on the right side tube that aren’t on the left. Hard to tell for quick glances and even several minutes, but if you plan to use them for hours of glassing, it becomes very apparent (in the form of a headache and eye fatigue, in my case).

I’m keeping mine because I love the integrated system and rangefinder performance too much…but I got a better set of dedicated glassing binos

What about SIG BDX 3000? Honest question, as I am in the market for Binos with integrated range finder

Sig BDX 3000 are great range finding bino's, but they are not top tier glass. If you want top tier range finding bino's think Leica and Swarovski!! Big price differance though.

I say keep a range finder separate and get better binos. I love my votex uhd, great considering the cost.

Reactions: CShooter92
Get swaros. Grab a cheap SIG 2200.

You won't cry when the electronics die. Much lighter for glassing.

You can combine things, but they never do the job as well as dedicated components.

If going for alpha glass, I agree with others, separate them for when electronics go out/the rangefinder in them becomes "obsolete". Get some great binos that will last you forever, then snag a good, compact rangefinder. I love the leica 2800.com and 3500.com. Will probably come out cheaper than buying high end range finding binos too.

If you aren't going for alpha glass, go for the Fury HD 5000 AB for a combo. Check Liberty optics for best price.

Last edited:
I was convinced that the LRF and a pair of binos was better than a combined unit. Now I am not 100% sure.

Here are the things I think matter with binos.

1. Eye relief (actual eye relief not listed) but I have 20-450 vision and wear glasses. I need lots of eye relief minimum 17mm, and I'd prefer 20+. This prevents tunnelling. Most near sighted eye glass wearers can only use 7x50, 8x42, 8x56, 10x50, 10x56 in Medium quality binoculars $500 retail) without having a tunneling effect. Some of those 10x50's are suspect.

2. Glass quality (minimal color changes on borders, edge to edge clarity).

3. For an LRF there should be setting that displays actual linear distance instead of the hypotenuse distance to the target for uphill and downhill shooting. If it has a ballistic solver all the better. I own a Leupold 1600 BRX, and I am probably done with it and moving to the 2800 BRX this year when I can find one in stock (do not PM me to sell me one).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypotenuse#/media/File:Hypotenuse.svg

4. Weight, I have been carrying a pair of Minox 8x56 monsters in a Alaska Guide chest rig for a couple of years. I upgraded to my chest monster to a the 12x50 Swarovski EL last year. So we will see how this works for my November mule deer hunt. I don't mind the weight if they perform. Worth figuring out.

I've been using the Leica HD-B 2200 for a few years now and they're worth every penny. Between normal woods use for deer hunting in Missouri, to elk hunting in Colorado and NRL22/PRS use, I can reliably range to about 1800 yds with most any surface, and much farther on reflective. They don't seem to be overly heavy. They are easy to focus and have great depth of field. Even the old version that I have has a solver built in, but has to be set up on a computer with your profile and loaded into the binos with a micro SD. it is accurate and ranges line up with AB/Kestrel drops. If I was to get a new pair, I'd do the HDB 3000 with bluetooth.

Another vote for separate RF and Binocular; RF’s like all electronics are advancing at rapid rates of refinement and ability.

I am currently running the NL Pure Swaro 12x42. Simply remarkable glass.

Pair them with the BTX for ultimate glassing experience.

Add Leica, Sig Kilo 2400 ABS or Terrapin X RF’s and you are in business.

You might throw in Garmin’s Tactix Delta watch with AB for good measure