• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Bolt Action from Springfield Armory (700 footprint, 10/22 mags)

Guarantee of 1" @ 50 yards...I'll pass.

From the link:
"Every configuration is guaranteed to shoot 1” or less three-shot groups at 50 yards with quality match-grade factory ammunition, in the hands of a skilled shooter."

With match ammo, and three shot group...I can do better that with a 40 year old Marlin 60.

What kind of reputation do they have? First time I've heard of them.
They're a relatively new company founded in 2006 and like most Turkish firearms manufacturers, they're more known for their copy/rendition of the Inertia system shotguns than anything else. They have 0 reputation in the rimfire realm as they don't offer a model under their own brand name.

I have zero faith this will be a quality product but I really like the concept.
Ruger (among others) already make a bolt action rifles that use 10/22 rotary mags. I have an "American Rimfire Target" with the heavy stainless barrel. It's ok, but not great. For a "budget" or "entry level" bolt gun it's decent...but will never be on par with better production bolt guns.

In this price range, get a Bergara BMR, they have good barrels and consistent accuracy, but still a budget rifle. Best way for anyone to spend their money is to double the budget, then double it again...you will start getting in to the fun zone.

Ruger (among others) already make a bolt action rifles that use 10/22 rotary mags. I have an "American Rimfire Target" with the heavy stainless barrel. It's ok, but not great. For a "budget" or "entry level" bolt gun it's decent...but will never be on par with better production bolt guns.

In this price range, get a Bergara BMR, they have good barrels and consistent accuracy, but still a budget rifle. Best way for anyone to spend their money is to double the budget, then double it again...you will start getting in to the fun zone.
I have a ruger 77/22. There are lot's of flaws with them that could be addressed with this concept. My only complaint with the BMR, Vudoo, and Rim-x is the giant ass AICS mag for the small 22lr rounds.

Reactions: ZG47A
The only thing the article mentions that is "remington 700 compatible" is the trigger. I didn't see anything about the action/receiver or other parts (rail mounting, etc) being the same pattern.

10/22 mags is a nice point, but I would worry about feeding with good ammo. I've got a few 10/22's and a 77/22 but feeding isn't always the best. Haven't had any hiccups with the B14R mags (I've only shot it around 600 rounds so far).

hard pass. buy a Bergara B14R that is a known R700 pattern receiver, trigger and scope mounts. any I'd pretty much guarantee that it'll shoot better than 1MOA at 50 yards with match ammo.

I have a ruger 77/22. There are lot's of flaws with them that could be addressed with this concept. My only complaint with the BMR, Vudoo, and Rim-x is the giant ass AICS mag for the small 22lr rounds.
I'm guessing you've never been in a PRS type competition. Those "giant ass AICS mag(s)" are much easier to change when you're on the clock. Bergara BMR doesn't use those "giant ass mags", but they are larger than others...so I'll concede that point...granted I'm guessing you saw "Bergara" and automatically ass-u-me'd B14R, so I'll give you some leeway there also.

There's a reason the top end rimfire rifles are built on the Remington 700 footprint; you get more options for triggers and stocks, chassis, other things. The new Springfield also uses a 700 compatible trigger...just like the Bergara BMR.

I like my Bergara BMR, but it won't hang with my Anschutz (x3) or Vudoo rifles. Not sure how it would do up against the 5 Kidd rifles we have, those are all 10/22 clones, so it's not a fair comparison.

And which Ruger has the aftermarket that a R700 pattern rifle has? This is not a competitor for a Ruger American or M77/22.
I never said any of them did, I said there are other Rugers, along with other manufactures that use 10/22 rotary mags.

And which Ruger has the aftermarket that a R700 pattern rifle has? This is not a competitor for a Ruger American or M77/22.
77/22 has been dead for years now.

I have a fantastic 77/22. The rotary mag has never been an issue. The lack of stock options was real problem.

The American would be way more popular if it has removable barrels like the 10/22 or CZ457.

If the Springfield has a shit performance guarantee and no means to swap barrels....its DOA for competition crowd.

What's the MSRP gonna be? That could also kill it. You gotta be on par for the CZ and Tikkas in price and performance or its a non starter.

Reactions: Cowpokey
The only thing the article mentions that is "remington 700 compatible" is the trigger. I didn't see anything about the action/receiver or other parts (rail mounting, etc) being the same pattern
That's what I read also. Even though Vudoo are built off of an R-700 footprint and are R-700 compatible with triggers; they still aren't compatible with R-700 scope rails...I could be mistaken on the rail part. I got mine with a Vudoo 40 MOA rail when it was "built" by Vudoo. 🤷‍♂️

Accuracy guarantees don't mean it's the best it'll ever shoot.

"Passing” standard for rimfire shot groups is 1” at 50 yards for the B-14R and BMR, and 1.5” @ 50 yards for the BXR (a total of (3) 5–shot groups) .
Time to throw away the Bergaras....

I'm not saying the Springfield is going to be amazing, but you guys are really quick to shit on something that no one has put hands on. Let it at least get some shit reviews. Then everyone can pile on.

Accuracy guarantees don't mean it's the best it'll ever shoot.

Time to throw away the Bergaras....

I'm not saying the Springfield is going to be amazing, but you guys are really quick to shit on something that no one has put hands on. Let it at least get some shit reviews. Then everyone can pile on.
There are a lot of YouTube reviews on the Springfield already, they must have shipped a bunch of them to popular channels of that platform, haven't seen any that make me want to buy one.

Reactions: sjmpcc022
I'm guessing you've never been in a PRS type competition. Those "giant ass AICS mag(s)" are much easier to change when you're on the clock. Bergara BMR doesn't use those "giant ass mags", but they are larger than others...so I'll concede that point...granted I'm guessing you saw "Bergara" and automatically ass-u-me'd B14R, so I'll give you some leeway there also.

There's a reason the top end rimfire rifles are built on the Remington 700 footprint; you get more options for triggers and stocks, chassis, other things. The new Springfield also uses a 700 compatible trigger...just like the Bergara BMR.

I like my Bergara BMR, but it won't hang with my Anschutz (x3) or Vudoo rifles. Not sure how it would do up against the 5 Kidd rifles we have, those are all 10/22 clones, so it's not a fair comparison.
IMG_20221010_145005_926.jpg

Nope... What's PRS? Lol, anyway 22lr PRS might be growing but it's definitely less than 1% of the rimfire market. Me and many others don't shoot peewee PRS and don't need a giant mag that only holds 10 22lr.

Nope... What's PRS? Lol, anyway 22lr PRS might be growing but it's definitely less than 1% of the rimfire market. Me and many others don't shoot peewee PRS and don't need a giant mag that only holds 10 22lr.
Why are you chiming in on the rimfire section with that? Trying to boast about how you love recoil? Let me guess, you roll around the mall with an F-150 on 44" Super Swampers?

There are a lot of YouTube reviews on the Springfield already, they must have shipped a bunch of them to popular channels of that platform, haven't seen any that make me want to buy one.
Yeah I saw. Anything out now is paid advertising. I'd give it a little.

Reactions: Cowpokey
Yeah I saw. Anything out now is paid advertising. I'd give it a little.
I wasn't trying to make a judgment only based off of those. Brings some questions to the conversation though. If someone like 22Plinkster gave it rave reviews...maybe, but that alone wouldn't convince me to get one.

Why are you chiming in on the rimfire section with that? Trying to boast about how you love recoil? Let me guess, you roll around the mall with an F-150 on 44" Super Swampers?
You said I must have never shot a PRS style competition. I guess you don't get even basic sarcasm. Love recoil? Wtf.... 223 recoils too much for you huh. Let me guess you brag about how easy it is to plug in your Chevy volt....

You said I must have never shot a PRS style competition. I guess you don't get even basic sarcasm. Love recoil? Wtf.... 223 recoils too much for you huh. Let me guess you brag about how easy it is to plug in your Chevy volt....
Raise your douche bag flag HIGH so all can see it...oh, you just did.

I'm a rimfire fanatic, maybe you missed that? I grew up in the middle of nowhere South Dakota, mostly wing shooting with a 12 gauge; recoil doesn't bother me in the least. I regularly shoot 3-4 rounds of trap in an evening. 223 recoil is a joke that you got from the yellow stream media...go away.

Raise your douche bag flag HIGH so all can see it...oh, you just did.

I'm a rimfire fanatic, maybe you missed that? I grew up in the middle of nowhere South Dakota, mostly wing shooting with a 12 gauge; recoil doesn't bother me in the least. I regularly shoot 3-4 rounds of trap in an evening. 223 recoil is a joke that you got from the yellow stream media...go away.
You making yourself look like a fool doesn't make me a douche. You can be a "rimfire fanatic" all you want but it doesn't mean your preferences apply to everyone else that enjoys rimfire. You're in a public forum if you don't like other people's opinions the ignore button isn't hard to find.

Reactions: Turbo2
You making yourself look like a fool doesn't make me a douche. You can be a "rimfire fanatic" all you want but it doesn't mean your preferences apply to everyone else that enjoys rimfire. You're in a public forum if you don't like other people's opinions the ignore button isn't hard to find.
Hello kettle.

If, big if, the stock is truly 700 compatible then this is going to transform the entire industry. They have a model with a MSRP at $434. I could care less if it shoots bugholes, I'd love to be able to build a 700 trainer on the cheap. Imagine having a direct clone of your PRS rig for the cost of a stock.

The fact that it uses 10/22 mags means the bottom metal is likely a problem, and you'll likely need an inlet, even if the screw spacing is 700, somewhat negating the whole advantage. I think if this was easy to do (10/22 mag + 700 footprint), Bergara would have already done it. Maybe the mag is built into the action, and maybe the inlet is simple, and maybe they will sell bottom metal separate, but otherwise they've just dropped a slightly cheaper CZ, likely less accurate, but with a better mag solution (if it feeds).

Reactions: Tperry
If, big if, the stock is truly 700 compatible then this is going to transform the entire industry. They have a model with a MSRP at $434. I could care less if it shoots bugholes, I'd love to be able to build a 700 trainer on the cheap. Imagine having a direct clone of your PRS rig for the cost of a stock.

The fact that it uses 10/22 mags means the bottom metal is likely a problem, and you'll likely need an inlet, even if the screw spacing is 700, somewhat negating the whole advantage. I think if this was easy to do (10/22 mag + 700 footprint), Bergara would have already done it. Maybe the mag is built into the action, and maybe the inlet is simple, and maybe they will sell bottom metal separate, but otherwise they've just dropped a slightly cheaper CZ, likely less accurate, but with a better mag solution (if it feeds).
Pretty sure it's not a 700 footprint action, only uses 700 compatible triggers...just like the Bergara BMR rifles, but the BMR actually have pretty good barrels from the factory.

Reactions: kentuckyMarksman
I fondled one at my local gun shop yesterday. After watching some reviews, the action was said to be a little sticky. The action on the one I handled was not bad at all especially for a brand-new gun. The magazine flys out of the mag well when you hit the mag release. I have some 10/22's that you have to pry the mag out after hitting the mag release. The gun did not feel cheap it had some weight to it.

I only got to touch. It seems from some reviews I have watched the accuracy guarantee might be pie in the sky. Which sucks because it isn't that great of an accuracy guarantee. 1" or less at 50yds isn't that impressive IMO.

My summary, I think there is potential for this rifle, but it seems Springfield may have cheaped out on the barrel.

I fondled one at my local gun shop yesterday. After watching some reviews, the action was said to be a little sticky. The action on the one I handled was not bad at all especially for a brand-new gun. The magazine flys out of the mag well when you hit the mag release. I have some 10/22's that you have to pry the mag out after hitting the mag release. The gun did not feel cheap it had some weight to it.

I only got to touch. It seems from some reviews I have watched the accuracy guarantee might be pie in the sky. Which sucks because it isn't that great of an accuracy guarantee. 1" or less at 50yds isn't that impressive IMO.

My summary, I think there is potential for this rifle, but it seems Springfield may have cheaped out on the barrel.
Just curious for the same price point what other rifle guarantees publicly any accuracy? IMO it is marketing ploy that someone with no shooting experience came up with. not knowing 1" at 50 is not something shooters in the know would jump up and down for, now 1" at 100 that is something else.

Lee

Reactions: 91Eunozs
So, I did a thing today.

IMG_2467-4K.jpg

Purely impulse buy when I was in my LGS doing the efile certification stuff for a couple suppressors I snagged on Silencerco’s BOGO sale last month. Have been wanting to get a bolt action .22 for awhile since my 10/22s won’t cycle subsonic ammo…specifically the CCI ‘quiet’ ammo at under 800 ft/sec.

And this was just hanging there on the wall…Kismet!

Came with a decent range bag, some basic cleaning supplies, and one 10-rd mag. Looks almost exactly like a Ruger 10/22 mag, but it has the Springfield Armory logo in place of Ruger’s.

IMG_2468-4K.jpg

IMG_2469-4K.jpg

Quickly threw a scope on from one of my Ruger 10/22s; literally just unbolted it and threw it on this rifle, didn’t even bother leveling the scope, or checking eye relief since this was just going to be a shakedown range session, and it was already pretty late in the day:

IMG_2470-4K.jpg

…was still hot as balls out there today; literally no one else there, so I had the entire range to myself.

IMG_2479-XL.png

Felt like a lot more than 12 mph winds; was definitely gusting much higher than that. Regardless, started at 25 yards to get on paper…walked it in from the right side. Scope was surprisingly close for elevation, but literally off the paper to the right when I started, LoL.

IMG_2472-4K.jpg

Once I got close, I shot several 5-rd groups and one 10-rd group on the corner targets…used three that were still unused on the target next to mine as well. I used these to test some Ruger mags, and all worked well, except the BX25 mag…that one wouldn’t seat in the mag well.

IMG_2482-4K.jpg

Will try some Butler Creek mags on the next range session. The factory Springfield Armory labeled 10/22 clone mag fed the best, but zero issues, or failures to feed or eject with the almost 100 rounds shot here, as well as with the 100 or so I also shot at 100 yards. Zero issues at all actually…Just a fun range session.

IMG_2480-4K.jpg

Also found 1/2 box of some cheap Aguila .22 standard velocity plinking ammo in the bottom of my range bag, so shot one 10-rd group with that to see the POI shift; pretty pleased with this gun so far, if these groups using subs, and especially the supersonic ammo are indicative of its potential; albeit only at 25-yds so far.

IMG_2481-X4.jpg

I was literally giggling as I shot these groups! So quiet…I wound up taking off my ear pro…it was literally like hearing someone snap their fingers…the sound of the round hitting the dirt berm behind the target was louder than the report.

Was fun watching the round lob into the target too; slower even than my .45 ACP rounds.

After that I took it down to the 100-yd lanes and just started lobbing them in…LoL. Shooting this ammo is like dropping in mortar fire. These things almost literally have the ballistics of a thrown rock!

IMG_2477-4K.jpg

After lobbing them everywhere except the middle of the target, I eventually found a good hold over and put 20 or so rounds into a decent(ish) group on the upper left side of the x-ring. Again, this was just a test to see if this gun is worth the $400 I dropped on it today after my 10% .mil discount…and so far, pretty happy with it. Especially since I clearly didn’t have enough scope (reticle covered the entire center of the target at 100 yards), and was shooting extra-slow subsonic ammo today.

IMG_2478-4K.jpg

Looking forward to hearing about other folk’s experiences, but pretty happy with this as a plinker that I can ‘theoretically‘ use in my backyard on varmints or beer cans, without alarming the rest of the neighborhood! LoL

Again, ran almost 200 rounds through it with zero failures or malfunctions…only did the initial cleaning before I left the house, and one cleaning after the initial zero at 25 yards. I did run a wet, then dry patch down the barrel every 50 rounds or so, but did absolutely nothing special otherwise.

Ran like a champ. Two 👍🏻👍🏻

Have a question for the hive mind…or any Springfield reps who may be on the board.

What picatinny base/rail will fit this receiver? I want to use some of my other scope mounts and accessories, but the interrupted rail precludes that option. I took a chance with a cheap 700SA footprint rail, but unsurprisingly the holes won’t line up.

IMG_5295.jpeg

…I can’t find anything on Springfield’s webpage, nor can I find anything online. Anyone else find a solution?

Edit: I also looked at possibly using a rail for a 10/22, only turned around front to rear. However, while it appears the rear two holes will line up, only one of the front holes will line up.

Last edited:
Have a question for the hive mind…or any Springfield reps who may be on the board.

What picatinny base/rail will fit this receiver? I want to use some of my other scope mounts and accessories, but the interrupted rail precludes that option. I took a chance with a cheap 700SA footprint rail, but unsurprisingly the holes won’t line up.

View attachment 8217036

…I can’t find anything on Springfield’s webpage, nor can I find anything online. Anyone else find a solution?

Edit: I also looked at possibly using a rail for a 10/22, only turned around front to rear. However, while it appears the rear two holes will line up, only one of the front holes will line up.
Why don't you email EGW or DIP and ask them to make you one. I would think they would have vested interest to supply a rail for it simply as another available product in their respective lines. 🤷

Reactions: 91Eunozs
Yeah, was thinking about doing that…. Was looking at a couple options from Murphy precision, trying to find one with the right hole spacing. Then it occurred to me that even if I found one, the scope base would cost half as much as the rifle, LoL.

Might swing by a local machine shop mañana and see how much they’d charge to just machine a couple slots in the ‘interrupted’ part of the stock rail/base.

Givin’ up looking for the night, but did pull the scope base off to measure the specs; well as close as I could measure with simple calipers anyway. From the rearmost hole measuring forward, distance (on center) from hole #1:

#1 - #2: 0.512” (13.0mm)
#1 - #3: 3.867” (98.2mm)
#1 - #4: 4.735” (120.2mm)

Well, the machine shop I plan to use to mill some extra pic rail slots im the stock mount closed early on Friday for the holiday weekend, so I re-attached it, and just threw on a spare scope with some cheap ass rings…should be gtg for a .22 though.

Forgot to take my phone with me to the range, so post shooting AAR pics only, sorry…

IMG_2674.jpeg

…and yes, went from not enough scope to way too much, LoL…. Never zoomed in higher than 9 or 10x, but hey, didn’t have to break out the spotting scope! :LOL:

Still really enjoying how nice this is to shoot subsonic ammo suppressed…decent groups inside 100 yards too!

IMG_2673.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2673.jpeg
    IMG_2673.jpeg
    501.8 KB · Views: 19
At the risk of starting to sound like a shill for Springfield, PSA’s got these on sale for what I paid at my LGS with my .mil 10% discount…and they’re throwing in a lower end (but decent) scope and rings to boot, LoL.

1695531553224.jpeg

Had mine out plinking in the backyard last night with those CCI quiets, and my old AAC Element 2 can…love that I can shoot in my neighborhood with no ear pro, and it literally sounds quieter than a nail gun; hell, quieter than an air rifle!

I keep it by the back door for varmints now…. We still get a lot of coyotes up here, and supposedly a mountain lion (probably a big bobcat) a month or so ago. Gotta keep the shitten safe from harm or my daughter will never forgive me when she comes home from college!

IMG_5384.jpeg

Last edited:
I just picked up one of these rifles. I got the black stock version for just under 400 bucks.
I put a leupold vari-x iii tactical 3.5×10 on it.
If all goes well I'll get it out on the ranch today and finally shoot it.

A question for people smarter than me.
Can I safely dry fire my 2020 rimfire?
Thanks.

Idk , as a general rule in rimfire no , use a snap cap or old case
I’m interested in you review as the online ones haven’t been that great

Reactions: Ranchhand
The rifle went bang every time I pulled the trigger.
Accuracy wasn't great but I'm not the best group shooter either.
I shot prone off a backpack using a rear bag at 50 yds. The group is 10 rounds.
I do want to try different ammo and check that everything is tight still.20230924_094951.jpg20230924_100102.jpg

The walnut stocked springfield rifles are purty, but I have not seen any real accuracy out of these puppies yet.
The price point has other rifles that will be more than the accuracy shown by the Springfields. Are the barrels screwed in ?

Sorry for the late to the party post.

Reactions: Big Phish
I got the walnut stock version the first week it came out. It is accurate enough for hunting but not quite like any Bergara or Vudoo type accuracy. It feels like a real CF rifle while carrying out in the woods hunting so it's a keeper. I like it a lot better than my Browning Tbolt. I put in a Bergara BMR trigger laying around that I had tweak the safety lever and inlet the stock somewhat more for it to work. Although I didn't need to change out the trigger but I just wanted to see if it could be done with Rem 700 trigger. Barrels is screwed in also.

View attachment 8217036

Kimber 84 short action bases are a direct fit.

Reactions: obx22