• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New bolt...extractor question

Jedi5150

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2010
Marina, CA
I recently ordered a new 1-piece bolt for my Remington 700 from Pacific Tool and Gauge. My broken bolt (see story here: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...791#Post2465791) is still being repaired/ replaced by Remington but I know I'll never really trust it so I ordered a spare from PT&G.

They asked me for my preference on extractors. I asked what they recommended for a .308 and they suggested the M16 style. I've read the threads here on snipershide where the general consensus seemed to be that the M16 style extractor was not worth upgrading to if your regular one wasn't broken. My question is, since the entire bolt is being replaced anyways, should I have stuck with the Remington extractor or is the M16 a good way to go?

Thanks in advance.

Re: New bolt...extractor question

IMO, if it doesn't really cost much more and you're putting in a new, custom bolt anyway... might as well go with the M16 extractor

In my opinion there is nothing wrong with the standard Rem 700 extractor and I don't like the idea that the bolt face is cut into for either the M16 or Sako type extractor installations. If it were me I would go with the Rem style extractor - they have made millions of them and I never had a Rem 700 with them that did not work well with one. It's also an easy part to get and easy to put in and inexpensive. I know there's always someone out there with a horror story of one, but I believe that's the exception rather than the rule.

If your going to order a new bolt you might as well upgrade to a M16 style extractor. I have several with the M16 and some without and have not noticed a difference. With that said I have never put my rifles through any grueling tests to see if it would be better in harsh conditions i.e dirt, mud or not cleaned for long periods.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jedi5150</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I recently ordered a new 1-piece bolt for my Remington 700 from Pacific Tool and Gauge. My broken bolt (see story here: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...791#Post2465791) is still being repaired/ replaced by Remington but I know I'll never really trust it so I ordered a spare from PT&G.

They asked me for my preference on extractors. I asked what they recommended for a .308 and they suggested the M16 style. I've read the threads here on snipershide where the general consensus seemed to be that the M16 style extractor was not worth upgrading to if your regular one wasn't broken. My question is, since the entire bolt is being replaced anyways, should I have stuck with the Remington extractor or is the M16 a good way to go?

Thanks in advance. </div></div>

If available go with a factory extractor, they work fine and are safer!

Thanks for the input folks! There seems to be support for doing it either way. That doesn't exactly make my decision any easier. Hahaha.

Ackleyfan, could you clarify a little about the factory extractors being safer? I hadn't heard that but I'm still a noob when it comes to this stuff.

Sako and M16 extractors are very good extractors but to install one a slot is milled into the bolt nose which compromises Remingtons three rings of steel, if for some strange reason a case ruptures or a primer lets go gas pressures can turn a sako or even possibly the M16 "even though it's a pinned extractor" into flying particles which come out of the raceway and towards your face and head, in this situation a factory Rem extractor would be much safer, as the bolt nose would expand and seal all parts in the counter bore which means no flying parts accelerating towards your body parts!

When it comes to safety, you'll get a much stronger consensus: R700 style. So, if all the extractors are reliable and one is the most safe: that gets my vote. The only issue I've found with the Rem700 extractor is it does create brass shavings as it clips the case rim. A few thousand rounds of shooting smooths it out a bit.
smile.gif